GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 15:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1719 the Meissen manufacturers found a way of combining kaolin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Re: In 1719 the Meissen manufacturers found a way of combining kaolin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 07:49
daagh sir

Any solid reason to eliminate “ A “
Director
Director
G
Re: In 1719 the Meissen manufacturers found a way of combining kaolin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 09:05
in choice A, "for centuries" make continuous tense wrong."for + time" is used with simple past or past perfect but not with " continuous tense.
so, this makes choice A wrong.
continuous tense is use with time indicators showing a point of time such as presently, at the momont to emphsize the action is happening now, at the time of speaking.
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 08:58
Top Contributor
Soujam wrote

Quote:
Hi, why A is incorrect? It sounds more logical to me....on the contrary in answer D seems that we are comparing the WAY found by manufactures, instead of comparing the hard-paste porcelain.

'Comparable' cannot modify the way, either grammatically or logically.

1. 'Comparable', an adjective, has to modify the noun that it touches and if not appropriate, the nearest another noun.
It might be seen there are at least four other nouns before it can touch the way.

2. Logically, we can see that the importers bought a product, not a process before they made the invention.

The only problem with D is that the choice unnecessarily drops the phrase from the Far East, something people may object as not carrying the original intent in full. However, many others may argue that the Far East or the Far West is not the critical issue as long as that the importing was the fact rather than from where.

With regard to the justification of past perfect, the related later event is that the people found something in 1719. It is clear that before this invention, people had imported it. Therefore, it is passable to use a past perfect, as it is neither unidiomatic nor ungrammatical. By using the word 'had'' we are only adding to the clarity.

In addition, look at the word 'for centuries.' The preposition 'for' is a perfect tense marker of both present perfect and past perfect tenses.

Quote:
Is underline portion cover ", comparable " or not? If yes, D is correct, otherwise, D is wrong

Ans: The underlining starts even before that in the prompt and includes 'which was". Therefore, it definitely covers comparable.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as self-study in the final reckoning

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 09:12
Top Contributor
A solid reason to eliminate A?

Perhaps it is not grammar but the style I suppose. First, the phrase 'which was' is superfluous. It adds to the verbiage

Second, the passive could have been avoided, as there is a more dynamic active voice in Choice D.

Third, the word 'for centuries' gives an edge to D over A, as one can now use past perfect without hesitation, making things more clear.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as self-study in the final reckoning

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 06:04
In my opinion, the issue with A is "which was" . It seems the two things are no longer comparable.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 21:16
I think this is not good problem
had done is not used to show an action which continued until a point in the past.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 21:29
crick20002002 wrote:
+1 for D.

C uses the wrong tense(has imported). We are talking about 1719 here. (distant past). We need a past perfect to establish that import happened before the 1719 - invention.

Crick

D does not have the full statement from the original one .

It is missing words ' from far East '

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1719 the Meissen manufacturers found a way of combining kaolin   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 21:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

In 1719 the Meissen manufacturers found a way of combining kaolin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap