Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [38]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [5]
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Send PM
Re: Passage of the Day - Set 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi arpit,

I am glad that you like this initiative. It's my pleasure if I can make comprehension easy for you!

So you got question 1 wrong. Let's focus on that question first.

Question 1

Pay close attention to this part "applications rose 7.3% to 18373". The word "to" implies that the final number of applications is 18373. If the sentence was worded as "applications rose by 18373", then choice b would have been the correct answer. Now such an error from your part can cost you a sentence correction question under the premise of "change meaning". So please do pay attention to every part of the sentence - big or small. :)

Comprehending the sentence

Alright, now I will walk you through how I would read this sentence for effective comprehension. When I read this sentence, I pause at these points as indicated in the sentence structure below and as I pause, I assimilate the meaning of each part carefully. As you can see when I break the sentence down in this fashion, the significance of each entity becomes absolutely clear. Now if you are wondering how do you know where to pause, then may I point you to our Master Comprehension course - it’s a 2-hour long course in which you learn all about how to read the sentence effectively in the first read itself and grasp the maximum from the sentence.

Originally posted by egmat on 06 Feb 2017, 09:15.
Last edited by egmat on 06 Feb 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here comes Passage for Feb 6

Quote:
The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - abandoned, and then reoccupied at a later date by a slightly different group of people - Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials were found overlying the Chaco debris and sterile sand layers.

Here are the questions based on this 99-word sentence. Notice that for this exercise, I will not present options. I want you to tell me the answer in your own words.

According to the passage,
1. What is the belief about Aztec?
2. What are the two ways in which this belief has been proven?
3. What was abandoned?
4. Who abandoned?
5. What is the point of difference between Chaco tribe and Mesa Verde tribe?

So pour in your answers and earn kudos from me! Also, add the sentence structure of the sentence in question. I wish I could give you an extra kudo for that!! But I will do this - I will critique your sentence structure and give you personalized feedback!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
1.The belief about Aztec is that it is constructed during two different construction periods.
2. Modern tree ring dating and evidence found in 1920 by archaeologist Earl H. Morris proves the belief about Aztec.
3.Aztec was abandoned.
4. Chaco tribe abandoned Aztec.
5. The point of difference between Chaco tribe and Mese Verde tribe is presence or absence of burials.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
kuksbug wrote:
1.The belief about Aztec is that it is constructed during two different construction periods.
2. Modern tree ring dating and evidence found in 1920 by archaeologist Earl H. Morris proves the belief about Aztec.
3.Aztec was abandoned.
5. The point of difference between Chaco tribe and Mese Verde tribe is presence or absence of burials.

Perfect answers kuksbug. Were you able to understand the meaning of sentence in single go? What is the strategy you utilize to read the sentence?

Can you also take a stab at the sentence structure of this sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
First of all, nice initiative by e-gmat.

Answers for the questions from above paragraph:

Answer: : Belief is that it was constructed during two distinct construction periods

Passage Line :The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods

Answer: : 1. by the modern tree-ring dating. 2. evidence that it was actually built by one group of people.

Passage Line : has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe

3. What was abandoned?

Answer: : Aztec was abandoned.

4. Who abandoned?

Answer: : settlement of chaco tribe.

Passage Line : Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - abandoned,

Answer: : Chaco tribe's settlement is indicated by absence of burials but Mesa Verde tribe's settlement is indicated by the burials found.

Passage Line : Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials........ Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Quote:
The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - abandoned, and then reoccupied at a later date by a slightly different group of people - Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials were found overlying the Chaco debris and sterile sand layers.

Here are the questions based on this 99-word sentence. Notice that for this exercise, I will not present options. I want you to tell me the answer in your own words.

3. What was abandoned?
4. Who abandoned?

So pour in your answers and earn kudos from me! Also, add the sentence structure of the sentence in question. I wish I could give you an extra kudo for that!! But I will do this - I will critique your sentence structure and give you personalized feedback!

HI e-gmat,

Appreciate you for new initiative!!!

Got answers for 1,2 and 5. But still challenge is how do you break the passage, it is single long sentence!!!

Could you please explain Question 3 & 4?

The belief that Aztec was constructed during two distinct construction periods

By the modern tree-ring dating and other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris

presence or absence of burials.

Correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Happy Prepping :-)
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
First of all, nice initiative by e-gmat.

Answers for the questions from above paragraph:

Answer: : Belief is that it was constructed during two distinct construction periods

Passage Line :The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods

Answer: : 1. by the modern tree-ring dating. 2. evidence that it was actually built by one group of people.

Passage Line : has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe

3. What was abandoned?

Answer: : Aztec was abandoned.

4. Who abandoned?

Answer: : settlement of chaco tribe.

Passage Line : Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - abandoned,

Answer: : Chaco tribe's settlement is indicated by absence of burials but Mesa Verde tribe's settlement is indicated by the burials found.

Passage Line : Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials........ Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials

Absolutely correct answers RMD007. I love the way you have given the answers along with what exact part of the passage provides the answers. Would you like to take a stab at the sentence structure of this sentence?
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi e-gmat,

Got answers for 1,2 and 5. But still challenge is how do you break the passage, it is single long sentence!!!

By the modern tree-ring dating and other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris

Hi NandishSS,

I am glad that you like this initiative. And I am very glad that you took a stab at this passage. Let's talk about your answers - all your answers above are correct! So good job at that.

The two questions that you missed are questions 3 and 4 and IMHO you missed them since you could not determine the role that the word "abandoned" plays in this sentence.

Now I can give you the answer, but I think it would be better if you arrive at it yourself. Don't worry, I will help you out here. :)

Look at the sentence below. I have removed some parts of this sentence (actually made the font white for these two parts). Read this sentence and tell me what is the role played by the word "abandoned". I would like it if you could write the sentence structure of this sentence.

Abbreviated sentence

The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - , abandoned, and then reoccupied at a later date by a slightly different group of people - Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials were found overlying the Chaco debris and sterile sand layers.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Payal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
kuksbug wrote:
3.Aztec was abandoned.

Perfect answers kuksbug. Were you able to understand the meaning of sentence in single go? What is the strategy you utilize to read the sentence?

Can you also take a stab at the sentence structure of this sentence?

Hi,
Thanks for kudos :)

I read the passage ,dividing it into following structure

The belief
that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods
has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating
and
has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris
that Aztec actually was
built by one group of people- Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials -
abandoned, and then
reoccupied at a later date by a slightly different group of people - Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials were found overlying the Chaco debris and sterile sand layers.

I had to refer back to passage for some questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi e-gmat,

Hi NandishSS,

I am glad that you like this initiative. And I am very glad that you took a stab at this passage. Let's talk about your answers - all your answers above are correct! So good job at that.

The two questions that you missed are questions 3 and 4 and IMHO you missed them since you could not determine the role that the word "abandoned" plays in this sentence.

Now I can give you the answer, but I think it would be better if you arrive at it yourself. Don't worry, I will help you out here. :)

Look at the sentence below. I have removed some parts of this sentence (actually made the font white for these two parts). Read this sentence and tell me what is the role played by the word "abandoned". I would like it if you could write the sentence structure of this sentence.

Abbreviated sentence

The belief that Aztec in New Mexico was constructed during two distinct construction periods has been proven by the modern tree-ring dating and has also been corroborated nicely by other evidence found in the 1920s by archaeologist Earl H. Morris that Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - , abandoned, and then reoccupied at a later date by a slightly different group of people - Mesa Verde tribe whose pottery, household utensils, and burials were found overlying the Chaco debris and sterile sand layers.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Payal

Hi e-gmat,

Does abandoned modify Aztec?

My understanding is Aztec actually was built by one group of people - Chaco tribe whose settlement is indicated by the absence of burials - (modifier)

Here we are talking about Aztec was abandoned, and then reoccupied.

Please let me know how to divide a sentence.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi NandishSS,

You are correct. Aztec was built, was abandoned, and then was reoccupied. :)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [3]
Send PM
Kudos