Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [43]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [11]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Re: Politician: Nobody can deny that homelessness is a problem, yet there [#permalink]
I went with 'A', how does using of 'Only if' makes it a wrong choice.
Can someone please explain ?

Thanks
Saurabh

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GPA: 3.41
WE:Account Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Politician: Nobody can deny that homelessness is a problem, yet there [#permalink]
Sarjaria84 wrote:

Thanks
Saurabh

My opinion: ‘only if’ suggests raising tax is the only option necessary to solve the problem, which is not mention by the premise. The premise just mention raising tax as necessary. So whether it is the only or not, we do not need it to be true to make the argurement rasing tax to solve homeless issue to be true.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Kudos
Sarjaria84 wrote:

Thanks
Saurabh

"Only if" is too extreme. Should avoid extreme options such as only , should , must , all etc if a better one is available
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V34
Send PM
Why not E?

Tax was a measure necessitated for providing homes to homeless.

Please help explain

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
pandeyashwin wrote:
Sarjaria84 wrote:

Thanks
Saurabh

"Only if" is too extreme. Should avoid extreme options such as only , should , must , all etc if a better one is available

Went with 'only if' because the argument also had that conditionality, so thought the answer should go with that.

nightblade354
Any comments please.

Thanks
Saurabh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 769
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
nightblade354 wrote:
Politician: Nobody can deny that homelessness is a problem, yet there seems to be little agreement on how to solve it. One thing, however, is clear: ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Only if the government steps in and provides the homeless with housing will this problem disappear, and this necessitates increased taxation. For this reason, we should raise taxes.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most supports the politician's argument?

(A) Only if a measure is required to solve a problem should it be adopted
(B) Only if a measure is sufficient to solve a problem should it be adopted
(C) If a measure is required to solve a problem, then it should be adopted
(D) If a measure is sufficient to solve a problem, then it should be adopted
(E) If a measure is sufficient to solve a problem, any steps necessitated by that measure should be adopted

Answer should be C.

The stimulus states that homelessness is a problem and the government needs to step in and this will make the problem disappear.
The answer choices use the terms measure and problem - let's be clear which is what in order to avoid confusion.
Measure - Government Intervention
Problem - Homelessness

Now when we can go by POE -
A states the opposite of the stimulus. The government intervenes because there is homelessness and it is required to solve a problem.
Similarly we can eliminate B.
Coming to D - this cannot be inferred from the stimulus. Nowhere are we told if a measure is sufficient we should necessarily adopt it, rather govt intervention is required to make homelessness disappear. Re-read this part of the stimulus
Quote:
ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Only if the government steps in and provides the homeless with housing will this problem disappear, and this necessitates increased taxation. For this reason, we should raise taxes.

Option E is too far-fetched. Any steps needed should be adopted makes the option a little extreme.
Option C is much better than E and can be inferred from the stimulus.

Hope its clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Please explain the answers precisely.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vicky789,

Please see my explanation above. If that is still not sufficient for you, feel free to PM me your concerns.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
Send PM
Hi,
I'm not able to understand which measure are they talking about? the government stepping in or increasing tax? Please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Politician: Nobody can deny that homelessness is a problem, yet there seems to be little agreement on how to solve it. One thing, however, is clear: ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Only if the government steps in and provides the homeless with housing will this problem disappear, and this necessitates increased taxation. For this reason, we should raise taxes.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most supports the politician's argument?

(E) If a measure is sufficient to solve a problem, any steps necessitated by that measure should be adopted

Premises:
Homelessness is a problem.
The problem will go away only if the govt steps in to provide houses.
For Govt to provide housing, taxes need to be increased.

Conclusion: So we should raise taxes.

The measure being talked about is raising taxes. That is what is under discussion (whether it should be adopted or not).

The premises tell us that taxes NEED to be increased to provide housing. So one part of our choice is clear - "a measure is required" (not sufficient). The premises tell us that increase in taxes is required.
Now the choice is between "Only if" and "If".
The premises do not say that one should not raise taxes otherwise. It does not say that we should raise taxes only if it is required to solve the problem. The premises tell us that if it is necessary to raise taxes to solve this problem, we should raise taxes.

Answer (C)

H Veritaskarishma,

I liked the explanation but I have a a reasoning to defend E.

Homelessness- Problem
Measure - Provide Homes
Steps - Increase tax

Why is E not the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AKY13 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Premises:
Homelessness is a problem.
The problem will go away only if the govt steps in to provide houses.
For Govt to provide housing, taxes need to be increased.

Conclusion: So we should raise taxes.

The measure being talked about is raising taxes. That is what is under discussion (whether it should be adopted or not).

The premises tell us that taxes NEED to be increased to provide housing. So one part of our choice is clear - "a measure is required" (not sufficient). The premises tell us that increase in taxes is required.
Now the choice is between "Only if" and "If".
The premises do not say that one should not raise taxes otherwise. It does not say that we should raise taxes only if it is required to solve the problem. The premises tell us that if it is necessary to raise taxes to solve this problem, we should raise taxes.

Answer (C)

H Veritaskarishma,

I liked the explanation but I have a a reasoning to defend E.

Homelessness- Problem
Measure - Provide Homes
Steps - Increase tax

I am fine with this but I still have a problem with "sufficient" condition.

"Only if the government steps in and provides the homeless with housing"

Only if implies a NECESSARY condition, not sufficient. So the argument says that the measure (as you defined it) is necessary to solve the problem. Hence the principle will still be "If a measure is necessary to solve a problem ..."
So (E) is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
I found this nice and simplified answer in Powerscore forum.

Premise: Taxes are required to get rid of homelessness. (X)
Conclusion: We should raise taxes. (Y)

Premise -> Conclusion i.e. X -> Y

Note: only if - necessary conditions, if - sufficient condition (Also, only - necessary condition)

A: Y -> X - reversed version of what we are looking for.
B: goes against the premise by calling taxes as sufficient condition, when it is clearly stated that taxes are required.
C: X-> Y - exactly what we are looking for.
D: same as B.
E: same as B.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
Politician: Nobody can deny that homelessness is a problem, yet there [#permalink]
beebuzz0504 wrote:
Why not E?

Tax was a measure necessitated for providing homes to homeless.

Please help explain

According to the argument , only the govt. can solve this issue and taxation was a measure necessitated for providing homes to homeless.

(A lot of measure can be sufficient to solve a problem, but this argument is about a single measure and a necessary step to solve the issue. it doesn't say that any sufficient measure can be adopted.)
Hope it helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:

I guess the key here is to understand the difference between sufficient and necessary.
The measure discussed in the argument is adopting taxation. Per the argument such measure is necessary to solve the problem but we cannot conclude that the measure is sufficient to solve the problem as the government would still need to use the money to give homeless people an home.

From this line of reasoning we get to A&C but A is too extreme.

Option C

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts