GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 07:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:31) correct 40% (01:55) wrong based on 210 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas to zoos in the United States are not to blame for the recent shortage of pandas on display in U.S. zoos. In fact, the real reason fewer zoos today have fewer pandas on display than 10 years ago is that the reproduction rates of pandas have decreased by 40% and the cost of upkeep of pandas has increased by 30% over the same time period.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most effectively strengthen the conclusion presented above?

A) Over the past 10 years, no pandas have been imported to the United States.
B) Since there are fewer pandas in the world today than 10 years ago, zookeepers have found it difficult to secure pandas for their zoos, especially since the cost to secure and
support the panda is twice that of any other animal.
C) The recent drought in China and southeastern Asia has severely decreased the bamboo shoots available for pandas to eat throughout the world.
D) A recent study has concluded that the animal people look forward to seeing the most at zoos is the koala bear.
E) An increase in the number of zoos throughout the United States has increased the demand for pandas by medium-sized and small zoos.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 08:03
Has to be C aint it..?food cost rise implies rise in upkeep cost..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Aug 2018, 19:53
redskull1 wrote:
Has to be C aint it..?food cost rise implies rise in upkeep cost..

How did you assume food cost rise from C?

C is toooo much of a stretch but yes better than other choices, I think.

Why did you eliminate B? Out of scope?

This question isn't really great IMO. Usually GMAT provides answer choices that require you to be okay with some uncertainty but hey in this question all the answer choices are too far away to strengthen and if one starts to think, one's mind can come up with any reasoning to make it strengthen. That's not how it should be.

The reasoning shouldn't really require way too many assumptions for us to make. In strengthen, however, I understand that a new evidence out of scope can also be correct if it just strengthens even a little bit. I think it boils down to how much it is strengthening 5%, 95% etc? In the end, we have to work with answer options we have and choose a best answer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Originally posted by Chef on 11 Aug 2018, 10:20.
Last edited by Chef on 11 Aug 2018, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Aug 2018, 05:59
There are two reasons why the shortage of pandas is taking the place, first – Pandas don’t reproduce themselves and second - restrictions on importing. Conclusion states that restrictions are not to blame. So if there was no importing during past 10 years when there was no restrictions (They are recent) So they are not to blame. Option A

Originally posted by Iamnowjust on 11 Aug 2018, 17:19.
Last edited by Iamnowjust on 12 Aug 2018, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMC PGPEX"20
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V21
GPA: 2.67
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 22:02
I also choose C, the shortage of the food can increase the so called upkeeping cost. but whereas in B the comparison of panda with other animal.

Correct me If I am wrong?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 04:01
What is the reason behind A not being the answer? How can you eliminate it?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 22:26
Kavyathach2

----------------------------------------
Tougher restrictions on import are not the cause.---(i)

Reduced reproduction rates and high maintenance costs -> reduction in panda population ---(ii)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we should look for an option, which undermines (i) and supports (ii)

A) Over the past 10 years, no pandas have been imported to the United States.-- why?

statement A does not specify the reason why the no pandas have been imported. --is it because of the high maintenance cost & reproduction rates or because of restrictions?

this does not strengthen the argument that reduction in panda population is due to reduced reproduction rates and high maintenance costs

Option B clearly states the reason.

***whenever we are looking at the options, we should look at the statement, which covers most of the premise items in it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 22:26

Tougher international restrictions on importing pandas - Strengthen-CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap