It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Re: Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 03:19
I chose D why is it wrong. it is parallel right ? Can someone explain to me

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9056 [1], given: 335

Re: Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Anazeer wrote:
I chose D why is it wrong. it is parallel right ? Can someone explain to me

Hello Anazeer,

I will be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Choice D is incorrect because it has a pronoun redundancy error, which makes the sentence quite awkward. To understand the same, let’s consider the following portion of the choice:

◦that drivers will be as likely
◦ that they will exceed the proposed speed limit…

In the above construction, the pronoun they refers to drivers. So, we end up with something like this: …that drivers will be as likely that drivers will exceed the proposed speed limit… Clearly, the above portion is not written well; it does not make sense to have the pronoun they, which stands for the noun drivers. Let’s understand this error a bit more with the help of an example. Consider the following sentence:

a.Teachers predict that students are as likely that they will not obey the new guidelines as they are the current ones.

There is no need to have a that construction after likely in the above sentence since it forces the use of a noun/pronoun later. Instead, whatever the students are likely to do, can be written in the following way:

b.Teachers predict that students are as likely to not obey the new guidelines as they are the current ones.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9056 [1], given: 335

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 07:35
Thanks a lot Shraddha It really helped me understand better

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 21:54
Can anyone explain when to use "As likely" and when to use "Equally Likely"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 06:41
Marcab wrote:
"as" is used to compare clauses not verbs.
A clause is a group of words that containg among them a subject and a verb.
In the question mentioned, the not underlined portion is a noun phrase. So if we have to use "as" then make this particular noun phrase a clause by adding a verb.
On the reasons mentioned above, ACD are eliminated.
In B, I don't think that a sole "as" can withstand the pressure of comparing.Henceforth, as likely as is preferrable.
Hope that helps.
-s

Perfect explaination!
+1 Kudos, :thumbup:

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 56

Re: Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely t   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 06:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap