It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1522 [1], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:29) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 341 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and freight service. By dividing its attention between its freight and commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well. Therefore, if a railroad is going to be a successful business, then it must concentrate exclusively on one of these two markets.

For the argument to be logically correct, it must make which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Commuter and freight service have little in common with each other.
(B) The first priority of a railroad is to be a successful business.
(C) Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.
(D) If a railroad concentrates on commuter service, it will be a successful business.
(E) Railroad commuters rarely want freight service as well.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by broall on 21 Sep 2017, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 1522 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 21:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO A. If Commuter and freight service had been common then the customers will be served well. Can anyone explain why the OA is C?

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 22:02
Because the text does not mention how much the two services have in common, while choice A says that they have little in common...this assumption goes too far, since they could have a lot in common but a few differences that make it difficult to serve both.

C is perfect, since the text states that if they serve both they cannot serve them well, therefore they have to serve only one to be successful. This means that to be successful they must serve them well.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2010, 01:35
toshio86 wrote:
Because the text does not mention how much the two services have in common, while choice A says that they have little in common...this assumption goes too far, since they could have a lot in common but a few differences that make it difficult to serve both.

C is perfect, since the text states that if they serve both they cannot serve them well, therefore they have to serve only one to be successful. This means that to be successful they must serve them well.

you can bring new info when dealing with assumptions slick

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 13:54
Can E be consider a better choice than others as if we negate E than, railroad commuters will want freight service and thus we cannot focus extensively on one of the markets?
Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 805 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 14:02
I narrowed it to C and E but picked E.

Can someone explain why E is incorrect?

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 14:05
If we negate E..... Railroad commuters mostly want freight service as well.

The conclusion..."Railroads must concentrate exclusively on one of these two markets"......falls apart..

explanations are welcome.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 20:22
Everyone is talking about Negation. let me try as well -
Negation A : (A) Commuter and freight service have EVERYTHING in common with each other. still need to explain the "success"

Now negate C. Negation (C) Unless a railroad DOES NOT serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business. >> Sounds like free lunch. yeah :-)

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:57
Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and freight service. By dividing its attention between its freight and commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well. Therefore, if a railroad is going to be a successful business, then it must concentrate exclusively on one of these two markets.
For the argument to be logically correct, it must make which one of the following assumptions?
Using the Causal Effect. The assumption highlights that the cause( serving one customer well) is the only cause for the effect ( sucessful business)

(A) Commuter and freight service have little in common with each other.so ?
(B) The first priority of a railroad is to be a successful business.priority is not being talked about
(C) Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.yes
(D) If a railroad concentrates on commuter service, it will be a successful business.no
(E) Railroad commuters rarely want freight service as well.no . Basically any one of two should be well served

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 22:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 222 [1], given: 199

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
noboru wrote:

(C) Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.
(D) If a railroad concentrates on commuter service, it will be a successful business.

Let me try to simplify the choice C.

Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.---> To be a successful business, railroad needs to serve its customers well. By negating this statement we get, to be a successful business, railroad DOES NOT need to serve its customers well. Is it? So, conclusion falls apart.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 222 [1], given: 199

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1069 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 20:28
noboru wrote:

Prem :
When a train service does both commuter and freight service, it serves neither customer particularly well.

Conc:
If a train service wants to be successful, it must concentrate exclusively on one.

I hope that when you reach the conclusion you would notice the "new guy" ... i.e., successful business?

The correct answer is going to have to define what's required of a "successful business", because that's what the conclusion is claiming and the author never gave us any rules/definitions of "successful business".

So just a quick scan eliminates (A) and (E), since they don't address the "new guy".

Why does the author think the current way ISN'T a successful business --- the only thing that sounds like a negative about the current way is that the railroad doesn't serve either customer base particularly well.

So that's the gap we need to connect: "not serving your customers well" and "not being a successful business".

(A) "little in common" is too extreme ... they could be very similar but still stretch a business too thin to treat customers well

(B) "first priority" is too extreme ... the first priority could be "don't kill any passengers" but this argument would still make sense.

(D) Not only does this arbitrarily pick commuter rather than freight, it also shifts from saying "picking one of the two" is NECESSARY to success to "picking one of the two" is SUFFICIENT for success.

(E) "rarely" is too extreme ... it wouldn't matter if commuters frequently wanted freight service also, it could still be true that a railroad does a poor job of both and thereby frustrates the same customer twice.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1069 [0], given: 90

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 146

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 02:05
Mahmud6 wrote:
noboru wrote:

Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.---> To be a successful business, railroad needs to serve its customers well. By negating this statement we get, to be a successful business, railroad DOES NOT need to serve its customers well. Is it? So, conclusion falls apart.

Hi Mahboob,
In option c- By customers in the passage we mean commuters only. So, even if the rail road services do not serve its customers well, but if they provide better freight services then, the railroad services can be successful. So, option C is not necessarily true. Let me know where my understanding lacks.

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 199

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 02:58
sunny91 wrote:
Mahmud6 wrote:
noboru wrote:

Hi Mahboob,
In option c- By customers in the passage we mean commuters only. So, even if the rail road services do not serve its customers well, but if they provide better freight services then, the railroad services can be successful. So, option C is not necessarily true. Let me know where my understanding lacks.

Hi sunny91,

I am not sure whether you addressed me or anyone else, namely Mahboob. :-)

However, the passage mentions 'By dividing its attention between its freight and commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well.'

By this line we can deduce that railroad has both freight customers and commuter customers. The passage does not imply by referring customers to ONLY commuter. If we take that passage refers only to community customers NOT freight customers than it becomes as following:

1. By dividing its attention between its freight, a railroad serves neither particularly well.' (Can 'freight' be a subject to be served by the railroad? No. It does not make any sense.)
AND
2. By dividing its attention between its commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well.'

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 199

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:50
Unless a railroad serves its customers well, it will not be a successful business.---> To be a successful business, railroad needs to serve its customers well. By negating this statement we get, to be a successful business, railroad DOES NOT need to serve its customers well. Is it? So, conclusion falls apart.[/quote]
Hi Mahboob,
In option c- By customers in the passage we mean commuters only. So, even if the rail road services do not serve its customers well, but if they provide better freight services then, the railroad services can be successful. So, option C is not necessarily true. Let me know where my understanding lacks.[/quote]

Hi sunny91,

I am not sure whether you addressed me or anyone else, namely Mahboob. :-)

However, the passage mentions 'By dividing its attention between its freight and commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well.'

By this line we can deduce that railroad has both freight customers and commuter customers. The passage does not imply by referring customers to ONLY commuter. If we take that passage refers only to community customers NOT freight customers than it becomes as following:

1. By dividing its attention between its freight, a railroad serves neither particularly well.' (Can 'freight' be a subject to be served by the railroad? No. It does not make any sense.)
AND
2. By dividing its attention between its commuter customers, a railroad serves neither particularly well.'[/quote]

Thanks Mahmud6 for the explanation. I addressed you and apologized for the inconvenience in the name. Actually Mahboob is my Boss's name

Re: Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 04:50

Train service suffers when a railroad combines commuter and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap