Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [262]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [167]
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [73]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
singh_amit19 wrote:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

(A) that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed

(B) it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales

(C) it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales

(D) to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores

(E) having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed

[spoiler=]https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/08/business/company-briefs-029980.html

This question is based on Pronoun Usage and Construction.

The pronoun ‘they’ is ambiguous in Option A. It is not clear whether the pronoun refers to ‘stores’ or ‘retail chains’. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B is wordy and contains a tense mismatch. The verb in the present continuous tense ‘is closing’ and the verb in the simple past tense ‘accounted’ are not consistent with each other. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Option C is concise and contains the correct tense. So, C is the best of all the options.

The phrase “announced to be closing” is idiomatically inappropriate. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E is wordy and awkward. The phrase “announced having poor sales” is inappropriate. So, Option E can be eliminated.

Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think C

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns
the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains,
announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its
stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores
are poor, they will be closed -->"they" is not clearly referent to, sales or stores ??
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which
accounted for its poor sales --> announced is in past tense, so "is" is illogical
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores
because of poor sales --> I think no problem here
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to
one-fourth of its stores --> "annnounced to be closing" seems unidiom
D. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of
its stores will be closed --> too many problems: unidiom, illogical
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [2]
Concentration: general
Send PM
Kudos
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.

My Ans is C)

A) record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to
In that we have "That since " - two should not come nearly .So A is Wrong
B) Which.. Which same relative pronoun( there will be confusion ) So B is wrong.
C)it is OK
D)Too many dependent clause.So it is wrong.
E)it is wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed….. Although retails chains is also a possible contender for the antecedence of they, still stores is the ideal match . However, what is striking here is the rampant use of tense. The sentence starts with a past tense announcement, then shifts to present tense while describing sales and then jumps to future tense for the eventual action. This is the reason it may not contend for the honors of top choice.

B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales ----- relative pronoun touch rule error
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales. --- precise and forthright; correct choice
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores. ---- announced to be closing is unidiomatic
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed…… conjugating two ICs with a mere comma, renders it a run-on, precisely a comma splice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed….. Although retails chains is also a possible contender for the antecedence of they, still stores is the ideal match . However, what is striking here is the rampant use of tense. The sentence starts with a past tense announcement, then shifts to present tense while describing sales and then jumps to future tense for the eventual action. This is the reason it may not contend for the honors of top choice.

B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales ----- relative pronoun touch rule error
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales. --- precise and forthright; correct choice
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores. ---- announced to be closing is unidiomatic
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed…… conjugating two ICs with a mere comma, renders it a run-on, precisely a comma splice

@daagh - can you illustrate the "relative pronoun touch rule error" in option B?
Thx.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Capricorn369

B says it is the stores that accounted for its poor sales; What accounted for the company’s poor sales can’t be fixed from the way B states it. It is clear that in real, it should not to stores; if it were to refer to all the stores then all the stores must be closed. The context does not imply that.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [0]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed

kassim wrote:
Dear Mr. Mike,
Can you please help me understand the below question.
Thanks in Advance. Kassim

Dear Kassim,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Like many official questions, this is a very good question, very well-written.

Let's look at the answers one at a time.

The only answer beginning with "that." Normally, in the formalism of the GMAT, "that" is always used after cognitive verbs, but this is not a strict rule. The structure "since sales ... are poor" sounds awkward. The "they" is an ambiguous pronoun --- what is being closed? All the stores? Only a 1/4 of them? The pronoun is unclear. This answer cannot be correct.

B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
The "is" violates sequence of tenses. See here:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/
Also, the antecedent of "which" is unclear --- again, all the stores? only 1/4 of the stores? This one cannot be correct.

C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales
Clear, and no obvious errors. A promising candidate.

D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores
The opening infinitive is unidiomatic: we announce that P is Q; we don't announce P to be Q. The phrase "on account of poor sales" is needlessly wordy. This cannot be correct.

E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed
The gerund at the beginning is a complete disaster. The "will be" also violates the sequence of tenses rule. This one cannot be correct.

The only possible answer is (C).

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the wonderful explanation as always.
However i want to ask whether C distorts a meaning of the initial sentence even though subtly.

The initial sentence suggests that since sales of up to 1/4th of the stores are poor , those stores will be shut down.
This is what i thought when i was initially going through the answer choices.

Option C suggests that up to 1/4th of the stores are being closed because of poor sales but it is general about which stores are these.

Can you please suggest me if where i was incorrect in my analysis of the choices.
Looking forward to your reponce.

Regards
Akhil
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos