Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7797 [107]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [18]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [6]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [4]
Given Kudos: 113
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and a [#permalink]
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

A)..
B) and also specific environmental requirements, like the soil of a particular forest
C) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for the soil of a particular forest
D) but also specific environmental requirements, like a particular forest's soil
E) but also specific environmental requirements, such a for a particular forest's soil

What's wrong with c?
What's the difference between " the soil of a particular forest" and a particular forest's soil" in terms of meaning?

Hi all,

but also construction is idiomatic ....
This leaves us with C, D and E.

Function of AS:
1: It can be used for comparison : In this case the such as should be followed by a clause eg. in C - such as for the soil of a particular forest.
2: As a Function : In this case the such as should be followed by a noun eg in E - such as a for a particular forest's soil.

Here AS is used as a function therefore E.

Like is not used as a function so D goes out.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Is there a transcription problem? where is the 'as' in E? If we use 'as' in the role playing function, then there should be no ' such" ; It should be just 'as'. The moment we use such as, it becomes part of an example.

The specific question is : what is the difference between 'for the soil of a particular forest' and 'for a particular forest's soil'?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
for me it boiled down to c & E. i went ahead with c. and still not able to figure out why C is wrong. Expect different "articles " i don't see any difference between the two options.
any inputs ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
What is difference btw C And E. I believe soil of particular forest makes more sense than having apostrophe ... ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [4]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sumanainampudi wrote:
I believe soil of particular forest makes more sense than having apostrophe ... ?

Yes - it does make more sense if you only consider this phrase as a stand alone one.

But, you have to also note what follows the non underline portion. "air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions" should make reference to the forest - note the keyword "particular" used to modify "forest". So, in order to maintain the meaning we must make sure that all the following noun do refer to "forest" - and hence the need of apostrophe.

......... forest's X, Y, Z and ...

Cheers !!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
sumanainampudi wrote:
What is difference btw C And E. I believe soil of particular forest makes more sense than having apostrophe ... ?

forest's soil,air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

but C breaks this structure .each element is related to forest ,but C makes air ,degree of moisture and weather kind of separate entity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

(A) and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil
(B) and also specific environmental requirements, like the soil of a particular forest
(C) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for the soil of a particular forest
(D) but also specific environmental requirements, like a particular forest's soil
(E) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil

What's wrong with c?
What's the difference between " the soil of a particular forest" and a particular forest's soil" in terms of meaning?
Attachment:
Untitled.png

mikemcgarry
mike please explain what's wrong with answer c

Answer c makes more sense to me as all other ,,, air , degree of moisture , and weather conditions are a list important to the soil of the forest
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
What is difference between "for the soil of a particular forest" and "for a particular forest's soil"

Why is option C wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:

(A) and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil
(B) and also specific environmental requirements, like the soil of a particular forest
(C) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for the soil of a particular forest
(D) but also specific environmental requirements, like a particular forest's soil
(E) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil

What's wrong with c?
Attachment:
Untitled.png

Option C is a trap option here. I do fell in that trap. Its very important to understand the meaning than just seeing the sentence structure or the usage of apostrophe as possessives.

Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features but also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

The correct structure is,
Trees inherit from their parent trees
not only physical features
but also specific environmental requirements, such as
for a particular forest's soil,
for a particular forest's air,
for a particular forest's degree of moisture, and
for a particular forest's weather conditions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
aceGMAT21 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?
Attachment:
Untitled.png

Option C is a trap option here. I do fell in that trap. Its very important to understand the meaning than just seeing the sentence structure or the usage of apostrophe as possessives.

Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features but also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

Hi,
can you explain the use of the word for. I feel the word for is redundant. I am not able to understand the usage- such as for......
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [4]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
sunny91 wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

What's wrong with c?
Attachment:
Untitled.png

Hi,
can you explain the use of the word for. I feel the word for is redundant. I am not able to understand the usage- such as for......

Hi sunny91,

'Such As' is used to provide examples. Like can never be used for the same. So, if you go through all the option choices, only options A, C and E remains. In all the three choices you can see the construction 'SUCH AS FOR'. So, its obviously correct. The word 'for' is not redundant here. It is simply used as a preposition. In the context of the sentence it is used as the following --

Used to indicate the use of something, for example,

This place is for exhibitions and shows.
I baked a cake for your birthday.
I put a note on the door for privacy.
She has been studying hard for the final exam.

Other Usages of preposition 'for' :

1. Used to mean because of: (Very commonly used on GMAT SC questions)

I was tired, for I had played cricket throughout the day..
I was very happy with her, for she supported me in all situations..
I gave few examples on usage of 'for', for smartyguy wanted clarity on the usage..
I am so happy for you.
We feel deeply sorry for your loss.
For this reason, I’ve decided to quit this job.

Used to indicate time or duration:

He’s been famous for many decades.
I attended the university for one year only.
This is all I have for today.

Hope it answers your query. :-)

Thanks.
-Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
Kudos
sunny91 wrote:
Hi,

That for is related to requirement.

requirement for something

rishabhdxt wrote:
What is difference between "for the soil of a particular forest" and "for a particular forest's soil"

Why is option C wrong

Actually, there is no difference. Only in the context of the sentence, E is appropriate while C is not.

Quote:

C) the soil of a particular forest, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions
E) a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions

Which is meaningful?

Can you think of the soil of a particular air or the soil of a particular degree of moisture, for example?

But we can think of a particular forest's air or a particular forest's degre of moisture, right?

Originally posted by Scorpi0n on 28 Oct 2017, 09:59.
Last edited by Scorpi0n on 28 Oct 2017, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Scorpi0n wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Hi,

That for is related to requirement.

requirement for something

rishabhdxt wrote:

Why is option C wrong

Actually, there is no difference. Only in the context of the sentence E is appropriate while C is not.

Quote:

C) the soil of a particular forest, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions
E) a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions

Which is meaningful?

Can you think of the soil of a particular air or the soil of a particular degree of moisture, for example?

But we can think of a particular forest's air or a particular forest's degre of moisture, right?

well said!!! makes sense now
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM

(A) and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil -- incorrect idiom
(B) and also specific environmental requirements, like the soil of a particular forest -- incorrect idiom
(C) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for the soil of a particular forest -- correct idiom but soil of a particular forest is not parallel with the list
(D) but also specific environmental requirements, like a particular forest's soil -- incorrect usage of like
(E) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil -- correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, broall, Vyshak, hazelnut, generis

I couldn't understand difference between Option C and E.

Could you please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
[quote="eybrj2"]Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil, air, degree of moisture, and weather conditions.

[spoiler=]https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/04/science/scientists-try-to-create-forest-of-cloned-trees.html

Damn..was stuck between C and E and Chose C.

But the main issue is the parallel list. By this logic, E makes sense
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and a [#permalink]
eybrj2 wrote:

(A) and also specific environmental requirements, such as for a particular forest's soil {Wrong idiom}
(B) and also specific environmental requirements, like the soil of a particular forest [Wrong idiom and like is used for giving examples]
(C) but also specific environmental requirements, such as for the soil of a particular forest [ Modifier error. Particular is supposed to modify soil]
(D) but also specific environmental requirements, like a particular forest's soil [like is used for giving examples]

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/04/science/scientists-try-to-create-forest-of-cloned-trees.html

New classes of clones are carefully brought along while the computer records of millions of variables on thousands of trees are expanded. One lesson learned long ago is that trees, even clones, carry within themselves not only the inherited traits of their parents but their inherited needs, such as a forest's specific soil, air, moisture or weather conditions. To survive the offspring must return to the same altitude, soil and climate. ''For trees,'' said Dr. Ritchie, ''you can't not go home again.''

What's wrong with c?
Attachment:
Untitled.png
GMAT Club Bot
Trees inherit from their parent trees not only physical features and a [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts