Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: In the circle shown in the figure, the length of the arc ACB is 3 time [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shawndx wrote:
one question that I have is this... in mgmat guide it says that any right triangle inscribed in a circle must have the diameter of the circle as one of its sides... so I am assuming then AB would be the diameter... because AO and BO cannot be?

however, if 3 is the radius and diameter is 2 times the radius, then wont the diameter then be 6?

just confused really...

also Bunuel how did you know to assume from the diagram that O is the center without the question telling you as such? I was not able to do that, so is there some way of knowing?

thanks a lot!

First of all the property you refer to is correct: a right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

BUT: triangle AOB is NOT inscribed in a circle. In order a triangle to be inscribed in a circle ALL three vertices must be on the circumference.

Check Circles chapter of Math Book for more on this topic: math-circles-87957.html

Next, even though the letter O is commonly used for the center of a circle, the real GMAT question will explicitly specify this information (so in a sense it's not 100% accurate question). But if we don't assume that O is the center then the question can not be answered at all.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the circle shown in the figure, the length of the arc ACB is 3 time [#permalink]
thank you so much! your the best Bunnel!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
In geometry problems, as in all other problems, it's crucial to really look at all the given information and think about what it wants to tell you.

Start with the most obvious information, the length of CO, which is the radius.
You're also given information about the ratios of the arcs. Since the length of an arc depends on it's angle, you're also given information about the angle AOB. Because arc AB is 1/4 of the whole circumference, you know that the angle is 1/4 of 360°, so the triangle AOB is a right triangle. Two of the sides are radii, which lets you know that the hypothenuse is 3*2^1/2
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
length of the arc ACB /length of the arc AB=3/1

it means that length of the arc AB =1/4*360=90degree
so AOB is a right isosceles triangle (45-45-90 degree) with hypotenuse AB=3sqroot2
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
OK, I will be glad to help.

since CO is 3, and O is the centre of the circle, then the line extended from O to any point on the edge of the circle is also 3. from this we know that OA and OB are 3 each. and any line extends from the centre of the circle to the any point on the the edge forms a right triangle, so we now we know that <Aob is right triangle. Thus, we can apply the Pythagorean theorm that states that AO^2 + OB^2=AB^2
so,
3^2+3^2=sqrt 18.......> 3sqrt2
hope this is clear enough
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts