It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica.....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [2], given: 26

((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:20) correct 60% (01:42) wrong based on 188 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica reached a record high. 80% of the increase in ice volume can be attributed to the strong westerly winds in the South Pole. The ice level is much higher than the recorded ice levels in the 1970s. This proves that global warming is a hoax.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(a) Global warming and sea ice levels are correlated
(b) Increase in ice volume is the result of low temperature
(c) One of the effects of global warming is the melting of sea ice
(d) Sea ice level in Antarctica has a greater correlation to global warming
(e) There was no interruption in collecting data about the sea ice level from 1970 to 2013

Its an interesting question with the answer choices looking very similar as well as relevant. Give it a shot :)
Source : f1gmat.com
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Prajat on 28 Sep 2015, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 122 [2], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Re: ((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 11:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Prajat wrote:
In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica reached a record high. 80% of the increase in ice volume can be attributed to the strong westerly winds in the South Pole. The ice level is much higher than the recorded ice levels in the 1970s. This proves that global warming is a hoax.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(a) Global warming and sea ice levels are correlated
(b) Increase in ice volume is the result of low temperature
(c) One of the effects of global warming is the melting of sea ice
(d) Sea ice level in Antarctica has a greater correlation to global warming
(e) There was no interruption in collecting data about the sea ice level from 1970 to 2013

Its an interesting question with the answer choices looking very similar as well as relevant. Give this a go :))
Source : f1gmat.com

c it is. good question with very good options.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.26
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 11:22
Conclusion:Despite global warning->Ice level raised in antartica
I initially put 'D', However 'D' seems to suggests less the concept of hoax/tricking.
Any option weakening Ice level vs global warming relation should be good. So option C

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 13:35
Let me explain the thought process for this one (since only 36% have got it correct so far)
This question actually goes back to the basics ( correlation , causation etc. )

Firstly, since it's an assumption question, we must find an unstated premise which when added to the argument will logically prove the conclusion. So we need to find an option which tells us that the effect of global warming on ice volume should be opposite of what is presented over here.
Option (a) & (d) talk about correlation, but provide no conclusive cause-effect relationship =>> Hence, eliminated.
option (e) is necessary but not sufficient (again no conclusive evidence) ----->> Eliminated
option (b) states a valid point but it only seeks to establish that the cold winds caused the increase in ice volume. Nothing is explicitly stated about global warming -----> Eliminated

option (c) is the only one which gives us what we were looking for. Since global warming CAUSES melting of ice, so.........

Although the options are seemingly quite close, but still there is ONLY ONE correct answer. The rest are flawed.
That's GMAT :)

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 105

GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 20:47
A really nice question,
close call between C and D,
but C is better because it gives direct relation while D just states that they are correlated, directly or inversely is not stated,
C is the winner

-----------------------------------------
Consider Cudos if you like this post.
-----------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 105

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 01:05
2 situations can lead the Global Warming to be hoax:

i) Global warming was expected to be the reason behind the sea ice level but "the strong westerly winds in the South Pole" took all the credit.
ii) Global warming was expected to counter the effect of the [color=#005e20]the strong westerly winds in the South Pole
but nothing happened.[/color]

Note: i) leads to choice D and ii) to choice C.
But, D does not clearly state that Global Warming is the reason behind sea ice level, but claims a greater correlation. Greater to what?? Unclear.
C directly talks in terms of (ii).

So, C wins.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 00:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Re: ((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica.....   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 00:45

((Tricky ASSUMPTION question)) In 2013, the sea ice in Antarctica.....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap