GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 13:00
Definitely a trick used by GMAC here, to test on not so known information about "semicolons"

As Manhattan says: a minor use of the semicolon is to separate items that themselves contain commas

So I think there are two things to keep in mind when it comes to semicolons:

1. Used to connect two independent clauses
2. Used to present a list that involves number of comma's to separate the items in the list

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 02:18
uledssul wrote:
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

(a) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce
(b) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(c) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(d) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(e) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees: indirectly helping the producing of

OG2018 SC#692

I chose (d).
I thought when semicolon is used, an independent clause should be followed after. Thus, (a), (b), (c) were excluded from the list per my thought.

I guess a semicolon can be used to list certain items to make a sentence parallel. Am I right?

I understand how option B is correct is correct taking into consideration that semicolons can also be used when there are lists within lists or when too many commas have been used.

Now, w.r.t to this rule, can someone please explain why is option D wrong. As I see it, the second semicolon correctly joins 2 independent clauses and the 3 semicolon correctly joins two lists as there are lists within these lists inside the second clause.

Also, the meaning of the sentence doesnot change as the lists in option B describes how bats help. In option D, the first list does d same as do the lists after the 2nd semicolon.

Expecting an explanation by an expert.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 03:34
aviejay wrote:
uledssul wrote:
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

(a) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce
(b) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(c) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(d) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(e) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees: indirectly helping the producing of

OG2018 SC#692

I chose (d).
I thought when semicolon is used, an independent clause should be followed after. Thus, (a), (b), (c) were excluded from the list per my thought.

I guess a semicolon can be used to list certain items to make a sentence parallel. Am I right?

I understand how option B is correct is correct taking into consideration that semicolons can also be used when there are lists within lists or when too many commas have been used.

Now, w.r.t to this rule, can someone please explain why is option D wrong. As I see it, the second semicolon correctly joins 2 independent clauses and the 3 semicolon correctly joins two lists as there are lists within these lists inside the second clause.

Also, the meaning of the sentence doesnot change as the lists in option B describes how bats help. In option D, the first list does d same as do the lists after the 2nd semicolon.

In D the three actions compared are not parallel in forms.
aiding in the dispersal is not parallel with they pollinate banana... and help producing tequila ...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 06:15
techiesam wrote:
aviejay wrote:
uledssul wrote:

OG2018 SC#692

I chose (d).

In D the three actions compared are not parallel in forms.
aiding in the dispersal is not parallel with they pollinate banana... and help producing tequila ...

In D, why do we need to consider parallelism between aiding in the dispersal and they pollinate banana? As I have mentioned earlier, we can treat they pollinate banana...as a separate clause altogether. In that case, parallelism is not required between " aiding in the dispersal and they pollinate banana"
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 08:31
aviejay wrote:
In D, why do we need to consider parallelism between aiding in the dispersal and they pollinate banana? As I have mentioned earlier, we can treat they pollinate banana...as a separate clause altogether. In that case, parallelism is not required between " aiding in the dispersal and they pollinate banana"

Hi aviejay, the sentence starts by stating that Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem. Thereafter, three different ways are suggested in which Tropical bats play important roles, all three related by virtue of three parallel Participial phrases.

Hence, parallelism is crucial here.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2018, 08:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap