It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 11:27
uledssul wrote:
Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

(a) as it is from the above
(b) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(c) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(d) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(e) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees: indirectly helping the producing of

I chose (d).
I thought when semicolon is used, an independent clause should be followed after. Thus, (a), (b), (c) were excluded from the list per my thought.

I guess a semicolon can be used to list certain items to make a sentence parallel. Am I right?

A "Help produce" is not parallel.
B Correct.
C "Help to produce" is not parallel.
D "They pollinate" is not parallel.
E "They pollinate" is not parallel.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 08:06
B. pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce - CORRECT only option with parallel structure "aiding", "pollinating" and "helping"

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 03:20
daagh wrote:
This is pertaining to the use of semi-colon to separate lists, and the maintenance of symmetrical present participle parallelism – aiding, pollinating and helping. These two functions are neatly done in B

But doesn't the use of 'indirectly' break parallelism?

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 23:57
ameyaprabhu wrote:

Hi ameyaprabhu ,

This is acceptable in determining the parallel structures.

Indirectly is simply an adverb used to modify helping. So, we have aiding, pollinating and helping parallel to each other.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 916 [0], given: 67

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 00:20
abhimahna wrote:
ameyaprabhu wrote:

Hi ameyaprabhu ,

This is acceptable in determining the parallel structures.

Indirectly is simply an adverb used to modify helping. So, we have aiding, pollinating and helping parallel to each other.

Thanks, my understanding was that if there is an adjective in one element, then all others also need adjectives

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 00:32
This post received
KUDOS
ameyaprabhu wrote:
Thanks, my understanding was that if there is an adjective in one element, then all others also need adjectives

This is not mandatory in determining the parallel structures. It should not happen that you are comparing nouns with verbs or gerunds with verbs. But having adjectives in some and not in others is fine.

I hope that makes sense.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 08:48
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 06:33
if we go by the logic,that D is right because it uses ";" as a IC separator then we find out that option D uses two subordinate conjunction back to back and hence makes it wrong.Kind of redundant.
And as I was confused by the use of semicolon I found that it can be used to separate parallel items.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 102

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 21:57
hi abhimahna,

Can you please tell me, what is wrong with the original sentence:

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest ecosystem, aiding in the dispersal of cashew, date, and fig seeds; pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce tequila by pollinating agave plants.

aiding --> verb
pollinating --> verb
help --> verb

Is it that in || ism the tense also has to be maintained?

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 23:54
ameyaprabhu wrote:
aiding --> verb
pollinating --> verb
help --> verb

Hi ameyaprabhu, aiding and pollinating are not verbs; they are participles (specifically present participles).

Quote:
Is it that in || ism the tense also has to be maintained?

Not at all. Different parts of the sentence can be in different tenses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on Tenses and Parallelism, along with a simple example. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Tense and Parallilism.pdf [10.2 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 13:00
Definitely a trick used by GMAC here, to test on not so known information about "semicolons"

As Manhattan says: a minor use of the semicolon is to separate items that themselves contain commas

So I think there are two things to keep in mind when it comes to semicolons:

1. Used to connect two independent clauses
2. Used to present a list that involves number of comma's to separate the items in the list

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 195

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
Please explain use of semicolon in the answer choices

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 03:27
This post received
KUDOS
hi Saumya2403,

The semi colon in the sentence will separate the sentences that talks about various things in a long sentence. For eg.

A group contains - AA, AB, AC
B group contains - BA, BB, BC
C group contains - CA, CB, CC

If I were to use all these groups along with their sub-group members in one sentence, then semi colon will help separate different groups.

The sentence will be: There are various products in groups such as AA, AB and AC; BA, BB and BC; and CA, CB and CC. Not to forget the last and will be a correct usage.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 16:56
Hi Folks,

Hoping you all can clarify why we can separate with semi-colons here when the clauses are seemingly not independent? The correct answer here is B but I chose D(it just seemed the most right). Any clarification would be great!

25. (Book Question: 692)

A. pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce
B. pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
C. pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
D. they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
E. they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; indirectly helping the producing of

Explanation

Correct Answer: B Selected Answer: D

Logical predication; Parallelism This sentence expresses a list of the roles tropical bats play in the rain forest ecosystem. Since these roles are enumerated in a list, and since the first member of the list is already provided, it is necessary to maintain the same structure for the rest of the members of the list in order to maintain parallelism and clarity. Note that semicolons separate the members of the list, leaving the commas to mark series of items within each member of the list.

A In this version, the third member of the list does not maintain the -ing verb form that the two previous members use.
B Correct. This version correctly maintains the parallel structure (aiding in . . .; pollinating . . .; and helping . . .).
C In this version, the third member of the list does not maintain the -ing verb form of the two previous members of the list. In addition, this member of the list includes a subject (they) while the other members do not, again violating parallelism.
D In order to maintain parallelism the verb that is the member of the list has to be in the -ing form, not its complement. Thus, the -ing has to be on the verb help, not on produce.
E Although this version maintains parallelism throughout, the phrase helping the producing is an incorrect construction in English.
End ExamPause ExamHide AnswerReview ResponsesPrevNext
HelpInstructionsNotes

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 11:36

(a) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help produce
(b) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly helping to produce
(c) pollinating banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and they indirectly help to produce
(d) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees; and indirectly help producing
(e) they pollinate banana, breadfruit, and mango trees: indirectly helping the producing of

OG2018 SC#692

We need a parallel structure here. "Aiding", "pollinating" and "helping" make perfect parallel structure. Only feasible answer is B.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 00:49
Tough one! I could see why B is correct. Because of parallelism and the meaning the sentence is trying to convey. The sentence is about how bats play an important role in the rain forest ecosystem. The bats do this in 3 ways, aiding, pollinating & helping to produce. But, then, the first semi-colon is after seeds while according to me, it should be before aiding. Thus, should not the semi-colon be before aiding?

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 60

Re: Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 00:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

Tropical bats play important roles in the rain forest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap