Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [8]
Given Kudos: 622
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [5]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Trying to keep her balance on the icy surface, the last competitor's [#permalink]
I am E) as well on this.

In C), it says 2 things happened which are independent to each other:
the last competitor
*caught the pole with the tip of her ski
*somersaulted into the soft snow.

Whereas, the meaning suggests that the first caused the second to happen. Therefore, C) doesn't look to be correct.

Originally posted by kinghyts on 12 Jul 2014, 09:33.
Last edited by kinghyts on 12 Jul 2014, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Trying to keep her balance on the icy surface, the last competitor's [#permalink]
I think C is the credited response for this question. As if the competitor was trying to keep her balance then she would first catch the pole and then somersault. I maybe wrong but this made sense to me, so I choose C.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:
Trying to keep her balance on the icy surface, the last competitor's ski-tip caught the pole and somersaulted into the soft snow.

A. the last competitor's ski-tip caught the pole and somersaulted into the soft snow.
Since modifying phrase has 'her', the main clause should refer to 'her' and so, it has to be noun and not a possessive.

B. the ski-tip of the last competitor caught the pole and somersaulted in the soft snow.
'her' cannot be the corresponding pronoun for 'ski-tip'

C. the last competitor caught the pole with the tip of her ski, and somersaulted into the soft snow.
Looks fine. Causal relationship looks good too.

D. the last competitor caught the pole with her ski-tip, which made her somersault into the soft snow.
which never refers to an idea or an action. It always is preceded by a noun/noun phrase.

E. the last competitor somersaulted into the soft snow when the tip of her ski was caught by the pole.
'caught by the pole' sounds awkward. Causal relationship is wrong. She somersaulted because tip of her ski was caught. She didn't somersault when the tip of her ski was caught.

Infact the very causal relationship makes option E all right. After all no one wants to intentionally somersault on the soft snow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Dears, Could you pls advise whether the "comma" before "and" in C is correct? As per SC of Manhattan, comma + and can't be used to connect two verbs. Tks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Kudos
duckcanfly wrote:
Dears, Could you pls advise whether the "comma" before "and" in C is correct? As per SC of Manhattan, comma + and can't be used to connect two verbs. Tks

Use of comma before "and" is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts