SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY
Recent interviewed
SORT BY
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Apr 17 2019 [#permalink] Tuck, Full Time MBA
Skype Interviewed on: Apr 15 2019 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"AdCom initiated interview. I interviewed on 15th April 2019 with a second year student over Skype. Overall it was more of a conversation and she really had some insightful and thoughtful questions to ask (specially the follow-up questions she asked). Overview: She started with her introduction. 1. Walk me through your resume. 2. What are your career goals, short-term and long-term? 3. Why MBA now? 4. Why Tuck? Then she went onto behavioral questions: 5. Tell me a situation when you had a significant impact on your organization. 6. A situation when I was asked to resolve a conflict or differing views on a topic (a couple of follow-up questions on my answer) 7. A situation when I received constructive feedback from someone. 8. Tell me a situation when I had a difficult interaction with someone (This question threw me off a little about as I was sort of not prepared for this one and no situation as such came onto top of my mind as well :D Eventually I explained one such situation. She then asked quite many follow-up questions to get deeper behavioral insights during the situation, specifically probably concentrating on nice criteria of Tuck) 9. How will I contribute to Tuck community? 10. What did you learn about recently? Any fact/news/books/articles etc. 11. Which criteria from Tuck's Admissions criteria of smart, nice, accomplished and aware resonates with you the most? 12. Any question that you believe I should have asked you about. Then she opened the floor to ask questions from her. Total interview lasted about 40 minutes. This was the most insightful interview that I had in the whole process over the last few months. I could have done better I feel, fingers crossed now! Hope this debrief helps all the applicants. Good luck!"

This user wants to stay Private from India GMAT 720; WE: 60 months; Energy and Utilities
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 07 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 07 2018 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Adcom initiated interview debrief Getting there I took the dartmouth coach up from Boston early in the morning. The ride was around 3 hours total and was fairly pleasant. The coach was surprisingly comfortable with wifi, toilet and reclining seats. I highly recommend the coach if you're coming from Boston or NYC, however make sure you get your tickets in advance. Both my ride to and from Hanover were sold out the prior day. Luckily I got my tickets a week before hand. I arrived in the afternoon and was tired so didn’t do much the night before the interview. Read over some notes quickly and tried to chill out with netflix and some herb tea The morning My day was scheduled to start at 8 30 am with a class visit and applicants expected to arrive at the admissions office around 8 15. Due to jet lag, I was up at 5am so had plenty of time to get up and get some breakfast from Lou’s Bakery(highly recommended by the way). After eating I went for a walk around the campus and familiarised myself with where Tuck was on campus so I wouldn’t get lost. I ended up arriving around 8am to the admissions office and was the second person there. We were given our schedules for the day and admissions marked us off the list. By 8 15 the room was full with about 12 -15 people. There were a few other International applicants - Some from East Asia and some from India. However majority was domestic students Class Visit At 8 25 my guide showed up and took me to the class I was sitting in on. I sat in on a core accounting class that ran from 8 30 to 10. I have never studied accounting and didn’t really understand what was going on, however the professor seemed engaging and the class appeared more like an open discussion rather than a lecture. It seemed like a great way to learn. Interview After the class visit, I had around 15 minutes before my interview was scheduled. My interviewer showed up at 10 15 on the dot and took me to the room and we made small talk about my flight and what not on the way. The interview was with a second year and was very relaxed. We had 30 minutes for interview and 15 minutes for questions. The 30 minutes flew by and we covered a lot of ground so make sure you are succinct in your responses. The interviewer already had a copy of my resume (although I don’t believe they have access to the other parts of my application; essays, transcript, gmat etc) and had already read through it. The questions were all fairly standard with the walk me through your resume, why mba, why tuck, what are you most excited about outside of academics, how will you contribute to the study group, when have you had to give feedback, when have you received tough feedback. It was very flowing and they don't appear to throw any curveball questions at you, so nothing to be stressed about. However make sure you have interesting questions prepared as 1/3 of the interview time is allocated to questions. I truly feel the purpose of the interview is to know your personal side and your motivations for Tuck. Lunch and Tour After the interview I had an hour of free time before lunch. I mostly just chatted to other applicants and walked around the dartmouth campus. At lunch we sat in a class room and sandwiches and fruits were provided. We were joined by some first years who talked more about their experiences so far. After lunch was a tour provided by a first year who walked us all around tuck. It’s deceptively big and is all interconnected with tunnels which I thought was interesting Takeaways and observations Tuck is really remote. Like really remote. If you are coming from a major city you may find it difficult to adapt. Understand this before applying. However the campus is beautiful and has a lot of charm to it. Things close very early which I found weird coming from a city where most things are open 24 hours The students seem amazing. All the interactions I had with students seemed very genuine and authentic. They obviously love being at tuck and they will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Whilst I was walking around during the day I got lost on campus. A first year approached me and asked if I needed any help with directions. We ended up having a chat for 10 minutes about Tuck life and even gave me some interview tips. Lack of diversity. I was a little disappointed about the lack of diversity at tuck. Maybe it was just the class I sat in on but everyone seemed to be White American. There was a handful of Asian/Indians in the class and no coloured people. It seemed about 90% of the class was white. This was a little off-putting and made me think about tucks international strength and reputation. Diversity is an important criteria for me and within that class I didn’t really feel it. I need to do more research here. Sense of community You can really feel that all the students known each other and are always helping one another. I could definitely feel a strong sense of community, almost like everyone was a family. Worth the visit Overall Im very glad I decided to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Hanover. I encourage those, particularly international applicants who aren't familiar with US culture to visit tuck. The day was very well run and informative and gave me a much deeper understanding of what Tuck is about"

AUSJ from Australia GMAT 700;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Mar 01 2019 [#permalink] Tuck, Full Time MBA
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 02 2018 Final Decision: Matriculating

"I went up to Hanover, NH for DivCo (which I HIGHLY recommend) and did my interview then. It was mildly unfortunate in the sense that my interview was so early in the process (I hadn't even finished taking my GMAT yet) relative to the other full time programs I was looking at - just something to keep in mind. Hanover is far away and very isolated but amazingly beautiful. If you can, I highly recommend going to campus to interview as you will get a much different view of the school. I went into my interview right after I traveled to campus, so I was mildly frazzled, to say the least. (I had time to get to my room, change quickly, and head over). The interview itself is very casual. I met with a second-year student and he noted at the beginning of the interview that he would be taking notes on his laptop and that he was listening to what I was saying, but would not necessarily be making eye contact as he would be typing as I spoke. He asked the typical questions one would expect: - Why MBA? Why now? - Why Tuck? - Describe a time when you had to work with someone you didn't get along with. - What do you want to do post-MBA? All in all, it was a pleasant experience."

This user wants to stay Private from United States GMAT 750; Investment Banking

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Sep 18 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
On Campus Interviewed on: Sep 18 2018 Final Decision: Application Submitted

"I had my interview this morning with a second year student and overall it was an enjoyable and conversational experience. Question included: -Walk me through your resume -Describe your leadership style -Talk about a time you were on a team that had conflict -Talk about a time you received feedback ...and other very behaviorally based questions. After the interview I got to sit in on a class, take a tour and sit for a Q&A session with an admissions officer. Overall, it was an enjoyable day adn I had a positive reaction to the whole thing."

This user wants to stay Private from United States GMAT 720; WE: 48 months; Consumer Products

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 07 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
Off Campus with Adcom Interviewed on: Jan 31 2018

"I had my interview last week off campus with someone from Adcom. The interview was very conversational, and a you could call it pleasent. She was very kind and made me feel really comfortable. Regarding the questions asked, some I remember were: -Why an MBA and why Tuck -Strengths and Weaknesses -If she asked my siblings, how would they describe me -What was I going to bring to the class It was not a blind interview, so she had already been through my whole application and knew about my goals and professional side. Hope it helped!"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 09 2017 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I had my interview yesterday morning with a 2nd year students and majority of the questions were the same ones. She asked me about my work experience and how I managed a team where the members were of different nationalities. The interview was very casual and she was from Chicago and we talked a bit about the city. She was very friendly and made me very comfortable before starting the interview. I had my classroom visit and the tour scheduled after the interview and it was a wonderful experience. If you can take advantage of scheduling your interview at Tuck's campus, please do it. The alums were also super helpful. Let's see now. I'm applying in the January round so I won't get to know till March. Fingers crossed."

RF20 from United States GMAT 720;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 07 2017 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Did my interview on Tuesday. Interviewer was bit dry and had poker face throughout the interview. So it's hard to gauge if she understood my story or not. Typical Questions: 1. Walk me through your resume ? 2. How do you deal with adversities ? 3. What are your long term goals and how will you achieve those at tuck? 4. How do you respond when people approach you with personal problems ? 5. What are you looking to bring to Tuck and how will you contribute to Tuck commuity ? 6. What your legacy will be at Tuck ?"

mbsingh from Canada GMAT 690; Consumer Products

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 01 2018 [#permalink] Tuck
Skype Interviewed on: May 17 2016 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Yes it is possible to do an off campus interview at Tuck! I did not know Tuck offered it to US students and I assume this is rare. Of all schools, Tuck really wants you to visit and picture yourself in Hanover. However, being on the west coast and with a very hectic schedule, I could not make it. They were able to accommodate a video skype interview. I assume this is rare, and I assume this is for candidates they are very interested in. But if you really can't make it, do ask as they are able to accommodate. I did a skype interview with a second year student. Although I recommended you ask for off campus interviews, I would avoid skype interviews. They are extremely tough as its hard to build rapport, you can't hear each other well, and there's always a small lag. I had 5 MBA interviews and this was probably my toughest just based on those facts. Also my interviewer was a bit tough and held a strong poker face. I faced the typical questions of why MBA, why Tuck, ST/LT goals, how do you plan to participate in the Tuck community, tell me a time you've failed. I also got some curveballs such as, why have you not visited Tuck? We spent most of the time really drilling down into the nitty gritty of my resume, going over specific actions and behavioral questions around my bullet points. So definitely know your resume like the back of your hand. I had no feel as to if I did good or bad. My interviewer was a bit tough plus Skype is not very conducive to such activities. We went for about 45 minutes although the flow was a bit choppy. In the end, I did receive an offer of admission although I was convinced I had done poorly and due to the interview and not visiting campus which I was convinced had doomed me. I highly recommend an in person off campus interview if possible or go to campus to interview. I don't think most folks would be able to get away with not visiting."

javierandre GMAT 700;

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 12 2016 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Had my interview yesterday with a second year student. It was a very straight forward one. 30 minutes discussion, where in the interviewer asked questions for around 22 -23 minutes and I was given the rest of the time to ask any questions I had. Although I am not sure how did I do :) Here are the questions: 1. Walk me through your resume 2. Leadership experience 3. Team work 4. Strengths 4. Why MBA 5. Why Tuck 6. What will you bring to Tuck 7. Biggest accomplishment/One thing you are proud of 8. Failure 9. A question about GMAT Club 10. Any other thing you want to talk about 11. Questions for us"

ankurgupta03 from India GMAT 760; Computer Software

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Jan 05 2016 Final Decision: Interviewed

"My interview experience was really nice. I think most interviews are conducted by 2nd year students, and it is meant to be friendly and conversational. But I think they really focus on trying to find the people who are actually, really, interested in coming to Tuck and are not treating it like a safety school. The reason is that everything there is student-run (clubs, activities), so they really want people who are genuinely interested and are more likely to be involved in the community. As I said, my interview experience was pleasant but I felt like I could have made a stronger case on the obvious questions (why MBA? why now? why Tuck?) and I only have my preparation to blame for that. Know the school inside-out and know your reasons and background equally well. Tips for future applicants: Know your application well (Essays, and everything else that forms your story), and prepare well for the general questions (why MBA? why now? Why Tuck?) Also, really try to show them why Tuck specifically is a good fit for you and what you want to do. Best of luck!"

tausifian87 GMAT 740;

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Jan 04 2016 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"I just had my on-campus interview. Here are the questions: 1. walkthrough resume, follow-up questions with my extra-curriculum activities 2. short/long term goal 3. why mba 4. why tuck 5. how will you contribute to tuck 6. tell me about a time you worked with other people 7. a time you failed 8. your leadership style/your role in a team 9. your strength/weakness 10. Q for interviewer I don't feel my interview went well because when I was talking, the interviewer had no response or any facial expressions. And I also sent thank you note to the interviewer, got a only response "good luck with your applications"."

helloschool from United States

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Jan 04 2016 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Hi Guys, Had a Skype interview yesterday. My interviewer was a second year candidate and it was very casual and friendly and more of a conversational interview than just Q/A. He asked me the following question after his primary introduction 1. Introduce yourself 2. Tell me about your community service experience 3. Tell me more about your professional experience (Data analytics and decision making) 4. Tell about a time you performed exceptionally and beyond expectations 5. Tell about a time when you failed and what did you learn from that 6. What are your Long term goals and why Tuck? 7. What apart from education are your looking at tuck? 8. At Tuck we work in study groups. So at end of 2 years what would your study group describe you as? 9. Which communities will you be interested in at Tuck and why? 10. Do you have any questions for me? It was a fun experience and quite an open discussion."

akash13990 from India

yes
no