Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Tuck vs Ross vs Haas [#permalink]
I just don't see how you can go wrong here. Tuck and Ross are probably a cut above Haas when it comes to consulting but technology and entreprenuership is the Haas wheel house. For your goals I just don't see how any of these schools is going to provide you with a clear advantage.

*Disclaimer I've applied to all of these schools and have very similar goals*
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Given you ultimate goal in technology I would actually think Haas would be the better choice. Strong ent and tech program and would probably give you the best network overall. I did a little digging into Haas' recruitement report, and Bain/BCG are both top 10 recruiters so the opportunities are still there and you might actually have less competition since Haas tends to have less consulting applicants than say Ross/Tuck.

Also since you are spending 2 years there, I don't think you will enjoy your winters nearly as much in Ann Arbor.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Is there any harm in waiting to see if you get into Ross and Haas?

Worry about having to make a decision then.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Wait to see what happens...a significant scholarship might change the answer drastically. If you are paying full price, I say Tuck...but would easily be swayed by a lot of cash. Since you are international, I assume your wife wont be able to work so thats not a big drawback for you at Tuck like it would be for a lot of people.

Care to share your thinking?

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Just Tuck's rep in the MC world is great...only reason I didn't apply there was my wife would have no career opportunities in Hanover. Tuck definitely has the best MC rep of the three options.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Just Tuck's rep in the MC world is great...only reason I didn't apply there was my wife would have no career opportunities in Hanover. Tuck definitely has the best MC rep of the three options.

Ahhh! I thought it had something to do with his interest in technology.

Thanks.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Ahhh! I thought it had something to do with his interest in technology.

Thanks.

RF

The MBA's biggest advantage is what it gets you immediately after graduation, then where you go from there is more influenced by what you do at work. So going to Tuck gives you a great chance of a big name MC company where you go from there has much less to do with the brand of your MBA.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
The MBA's biggest advantage is what it gets you immediately after graduation, then where you go from there is more influenced by what you do at work. So going to Tuck gives you a great chance of a big name MC company where you go from there has much less to do with the brand of your MBA.

Would you say that someone with a less than solid post-MBA plan should close the school with the better reputation in general, so as to maximize the opportunities available?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
refurb wrote:
Would you say that someone with a less than solid post-MBA plan should close the school with the better reputation in general, so as to maximize the opportunities available?

Definitely...go to the place that opens up the most doors. Especially if you dont know what you want to do. Honestly specialty rankings arent all that important compared to overall reputation.

Thanks River! The fact you're actually in the middle of an MBA program right now really makes your insight invaluable.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q45  V40
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Is there any harm in waiting to see if you get into Ross and Haas?

Worry about having to make a decision then.

RF

I am going with my wife and I have to apply for a house. Families with children are the first to achieve them but the other houses for married couples will be assigned by order of application dates. Waiting to know the decisions of the other school can mean that I won't have one of these Tuck houses and hence I will have to pay more for the rent.

For that reason I wan to know if its worth to wait the other decisions (apart from scholarships that can change things).

Would you agree with the opinion of chosing the school thinking about the short term goals? in that case Tuck would be my first choice. But Berkeley can give me "Technology" contacts that might be very important for my long term goals.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Updated you status on Ross thread please.
Current Student
Send PM
llest wrote:
I am going with my wife and I have to apply for a house. Families with children are the first to achieve them but the other houses for married couples will be assigned by order of application dates. Waiting to know the decisions of the other school can mean that I won't have one of
these Tuck houses and hence I will have to pay more for the rent.

For that reason I wan to know if its worth to wait the other decisions (apart from scholarships that can change things).

Ahhh. That makes sense. So you won't be able to apply for housing at Tuck unless you also give them your deposit? Well, I guess it just adds another factor. How much more in rent would you have to pay (over the two years)? $5000, $10000?

Just factor that in! Is it worth waiting to hear from Haas if it has the potential to cost you $10K more than just taking the Tuck offer?

Quote:
Would you agree with the opinion of chosing the school thinking about the short term goals? in that case Tuck would be my first choice. But Berkeley can give me "Technology" contacts that might be very important for my long term goals.

Going by what River said "The MBA's biggest advantage is what it gets you immediately after graduation", it would make sense to chose the school that will give you the best short-term prospects!

Good luck with your decision!

RF
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot