GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which School?

• 69% [23]
  • 30% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 18:35
Hey everyone,

I've gotten into both Stern and Tuck, and have a few weeks to make a final decision.

Tuck is offering a half-tuition scholarship, while Stern's offer is a full ride.

I've visited both, and would honestly say that my gut feeling prefers Tuck. The people seem a lot closer and tight-knit there, which is the kind of environment I'd want in a program. The people at Stern are all amazing, but they live all over the place, and I don't feel a sense of community...at least, not one as strong as Tuck's. I also don't have that many friends in NYC, and although my goal is to eventually end up there (at least for a bit), I'm afraid I'd get lost in the shuffle at Stern.

Stern was my previous #1 all the way, but I kind of fell in love with Tuck the more interacted with them.

I'd also be lying if I said that going to an Ivy League school isn't a big deal to me, since nobody in my family has ever done that before (as far as I know).

I'm a career switcher, looking to move from Sales into Consulting (although this is obviously subject to change).

I think my heart is pushing me to pick Tuck, even in the face of having to take on the debt of one year, but I wanted to get some other opinions in case I'm thinking crazy.

Appreciate everyone's help!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 03:47
ChipSkylark wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've gotten into both Stern and Tuck, and have a few weeks to make a final decision.

Tuck is offering a half-tuition scholarship, while Stern's offer is a full ride.

I've visited both, and would honestly say that my gut feeling prefers Tuck. The people seem a lot closer and tight-knit there, which is the kind of environment I'd want in a program. The people at Stern are all amazing, but they live all over the place, and I don't feel a sense of community...at least, not one as strong as Tuck's. I also don't have that many friends in NYC, and although my goal is to eventually end up there (at least for a bit), I'm afraid I'd get lost in the shuffle at Stern.

Stern was my previous #1 all the way, but I kind of fell in love with Tuck the more interacted with them.

I'd also be lying if I said that going to an Ivy League school isn't a big deal to me, since nobody in my family has ever done that before (as far as I know).

I'm a career switcher, looking to move from Sales into Consulting (although this is obviously subject to change).

I think my heart is pushing me to pick Tuck, even in the face of having to take on the debt of one year, but I wanted to get some other opinions in case I'm thinking crazy.

Appreciate everyone's help!

You hit the target feeder school to consulting. If money is not an issue for you, pick Tuck and move on. You are not cray at all. You are not the first who fall in love with sense of community of Tuck as It has its own vibe. I know the sense from alumni years ago. Also, its career office is magnificent ( I do not that Stern is not good). It is seems you like to live in remote places. Others like big cities. It is your preference but no one will blame you for Tuck.

Good luck
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 05:28
Congratulations on your admits and scholarships.

Tuck has a very special place in many people’s hearts. It is a tight community and you should be very well off there as long as you don’t mind being in a remote setting. (Which this remote setting is what makes it so tight). It’s alum network is also very loyal as the result.

Your cost difference will likely be less than 80k due to cost of living though you will have more recruiting travel expenses.

At the same time, Stern is not ranked that much lower and the salaries and long term prospects in New York are very positive. You would be there already and if you want to end up there, that’s a plus. You will be adding $1k/month of student loans for the 10 years after graduating by picking Tuck. Is that worth the factors you brought up (I feel it is impossible to value some of these things monetarily).

PS. Admit weekends are not always an accurate representation of the programs and the experience. I should rather say they are not. Many feel that they really connected with some other folks only to find their class to be different and vice versa. All schools have a variety of super nice people, extroverts, introverts and jerks. Though that’s the top layer that often needs to be peeled. People are complex and usually very impressive if they got into these very competitive programs.

Again, congratulations on your work paying off and the admits!

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 11:36
Hey congrats on the admits! I'm in a similar position regarding attending Tuck, and taking on more debt.. I am particularly drawn to just how warm and welcoming everyone is at Tuck.

I think in general, since you aren't too fond of staying in NYC and due to you wanting consulting, it completely makes sense to go to Tuck.

Plus, since you want consulting, your opportunity for higher salary post MBA should over shadow any debt difference.

Let us know what you end up choosing!
B
Affiliations: MBA Journeys
Schools: Haas '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 16:21
I think most people would steer you towards Tuck due to:

1) Your desire to be in consulting
2) You don't care to be in NY
3) Brand / prestige matter to you
4) You loved your visit and seem to have been swept off your feet by Tuck

So just out of curiosity, is there anything preventing you from just putting down your deposit at Tuck aside from the additional $$ Stern is offering?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 16:25
The OP mentioned that they do want to end up in NYC.

dominationstation wrote:

So just out of curiosity, is there anything preventing you from just putting down your deposit at Tuck aside from the additional $$ Stern is offering?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B
Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 16:44
dominationstation wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

There really isn't anything more than the cost that's giving me trepidation.

It's not really that I don't want to be in NYC as much as it is not wanting to be in NYC as a relatively broke grad student--especially at a school where a lot of people already have their own lives (and friends) in NYC.

If I went to Tuck, I'd still want to recruit to be in NY, but at least then I'd have had the Tuck experience, and would hopefully move to NYC with a decent salary.
Current Student
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 12:07
ChipSkylark wrote:
dominationstation wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

There really isn't anything more than the cost that's giving me trepidation.

It's not really that I don't want to be in NYC as much as it is not wanting to be in NYC as a relatively broke grad student--especially at a school where a lot of people already have their own lives (and friends) in NYC.

If I went to Tuck, I'd still want to recruit to be in NY, but at least then I'd have had the Tuck experience, and would hopefully move to NYC with a decent salary.

I'll use Jeff Bezos' "minimizing regret" strategy and strongly suggest that you go to Tuck.
30 years from now you won't be thinking of $80K but you will remember your great experiences at Tuck, belonging to the strong alumni community, knowing that you are part of an Ivy League network, and will overall have a better feeling about it.

Not to say that Stern will not offer those things, but I think Tuck will offer more of all that your heart desires. Its hard to put a price on these things we want.. but I feel it is safe to say that the Tuck experience will be worth much than the extra 80K it will cost.
Re: Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2019, 12:07

Tuck ($$) vs. Stern ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch