It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 103

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2014, 12:56
Choice E for me. A and B use the singular is, which is incorrect in this context. For the one of the blank that blank needs plural. C and D are awkward and aren't concise.
This leaves E as the best answer and most concise.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 103

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2014, 13:13
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces - that is wrong, that refers to one of the satellites - plural, Eliminate A
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact -which is wrong (that should be used as it is pointing to a specific satellite) and 'is' is also wrong(plural subject)
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting-distort the meaning of original sentence
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces plural subject-ok, 1st 'that'-ok, 2nd 'that' refers to 15years -wrong
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces -plural subject-ok,15 year correctly modifying effort - ok, best answer

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 20:16
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces[/quote]

E from my side as well.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 34

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 479 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2015, 14:27
A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces --> That modifies satellites, so we need a plural verb are

B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact --> which modifies satellites, so we need a plural verb are

C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting --> It's a run-on sentence that connects two sentences with only a comma

D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces --> This construction is as a minimum wordy and awkward. An effort is modified by "for 15 years" in E it sounds better a 15-year effort.

E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces --> Correct

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 479 [0], given: 200

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 16:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 183

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 19:30
the correct answer is E.

Option B has sentence fragment error. It is not complete and does not have a verb .

"One of the many satellites "

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 183

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 13:57

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
Satellites - plural, is singular wrong

B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
Same as A

C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
IC,IC wrong

D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
Usage of second "that" is not required

E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Correct

Hence E
Ans

Regards
SG

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 02:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(B) satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

(C) satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting

(D) satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

(E) satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 05:12
one of + noun + that --> takes plural verb
whereas one of + noun --> singular verb

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 11:04

Satellites is plural.. 'that' referrs to plural satellites hence is is wrong.
same as A
Run on sentence
D. satellites that arepart of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
wrong meaning
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Correct: rectifies the mistake in 'A'

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 19:18
My strategy to approach this question is understanding what is the meaning of the sentence.
keywords: one of many new satellites, 15 years effort.
It means that AM-1 is a part of new satellites, and the new satellites are a part of 15 years effort. So i think i have to find verb that match 'satellites'
i eliminate A & B because of "is"
C: absolute phrase, incorrect
D: an effort for 15 years that.... unidiomatic --> incorrect
E: correct

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17626 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 22:38
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
daagh 's solution
Quote:
First of all a small note on the style of using a hyphenated adjective such as ‘a 15 – year effort’. It is never correct to say - 'a 15 - years effort' or 'a 15 years effort'. It has to be always 'a 15- year effort' (note the singular use). Other examples are - he is a six-foot tall man; two-mile long road etc., etc.

By this token alone, I will remove A and C, notwithstanding other errors in these two choices.

Relative pronouns such as ‘that’ and ‘which’ can not flout 'the touch - rule' and refer to something far distant. In the context, ‘that’ has necessarily to refer to 'satellites' and hence the corresponding verb has to be the plural ‘are’.So B is also out. The choice is now between D and E.

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun ‘that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17626 [0], given: 1986

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 19:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 39

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:13
Hi,

A straight E for me.

The "AM-1" and "is".. S-V pair.

"new satellites" and "are" another S-V pair. So only D and E remain.

In D we have many issues starting with "an effort for 15 years".. then "has subjected" to name a few.

Hence E.

Regards,
Dom.

Current Student

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:33
Thanks Dom for response, Is one of not considered as singular?
I was stumped becaue of this.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:40
Correct usage is 15-year effort
15 years effort or 15-years effort is incorrect

that and which refer to noun immediately preceding it
satellites is plural therefore are must be used

for [time period] cannot refer to noun, so effort for 15 years is wrong

Quote:
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15
years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
to detailed scrutiny
from space.
A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land
surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
interact
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans,
and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land
surfaces

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 31

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:42
The point to not here is that whenever the restrictive ‘that’ intervenes in a construction, it refers to the noun that is just before( in 99% percent of the cases); here in this case ‘that’ refers to the satellites only. Although, the relative pronoun ‘which’ has some flexibility to modify a noun farther before when critical mission modifiers are involved, that occurrence is more an exception than a rule.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces --- satellites that is part is SV error

B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact --- satellites, which is a part – fouling of relative pronoun touch rule; also ‘to subject how certain things interact’ changes the original meaning of ‘to subject the interactions’

C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting -- of subjecting is unidiomatic since there is an intention inherent is the task; 15 years effort should be 15 years' effort

D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans,
and land surfaces --- for 15 years that has subjected – This is SV error and change of meaning

E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land
surfaces ----- correct choice. A 15-year old is the correct idiomatic expression and the infinitive ‘to subject’ fits in smugly with the context of an inherent intention

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:45
Hi Praveen,

I know exactly what you mean :) was struggling with that for sometime a while back.

Firstly try to identify the subject verb pairs... for Eg. "is" goes with "AM-1". "one of the many" is not the subject and we need to find subject verb pairs in these cases. As per meaning of the sentence, "new satellites" is the other subject hence we need "are".

If we have pronouns ending with (-one,-body,-thing... say someone, somebody something) in such cases it is singular..

Kindly check out this link where experts have made it clear in black and white..

one-singular-or-plural-confusion-massacre-one-of-the-major-139162.html?hilit=subject%20verb

Regards,
Dom.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:50
Respect Dom,

Really, this worked for me.

I went through it, i hope i do not make another mistake.

Regards,

Praveen

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 22:03
Praveengeol wrote:
Thanks Dom for response, Is one of not considered as singular?
I was stumped becaue of this.

Hi Praveen, this indeed often creates confusion.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this concept, appropriately titled "One of" the mysteries, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 12

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2015, 22:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 113 posts ] 

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap