It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 112

CAT Tests
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 22:17
daagh wrote:
lola: Should you really rush to reveal the answers? It takes the entire charm away. Your doubts will any way be cleared wholesomely. You have to be just patient. There are so many others who have lot of things to learn from such wonderful questions.

First of all a small note on the style of using a hyphenated adjective such as ‘a 15 – year effort’. It is never correct to say - 'a 15 - years effort' or 'a 15 years effort'. It has to be always 'a 15- year effort' (note the singular use). Other examples are - he is a six-foot tall man; two-mile long road etc., etc.

By this token alone, I will remove A and C, notwithstanding other errors in these two choices.

Relative pronouns such as ‘that’ and ‘which’ can not flout 'the touch - rule' and refer to something far distant. In the context, ‘that’ has necessarily to refer to 'satellites' and hence the corresponding verb has to be the plural ‘are’.So B is also out. The choice is now between D and E.

D suffers from two errors. The essence of the effort is to carry out a purpose, which is best expressed by using an infinitive ‘to subject’, rather than by the present perfect’ has subjected’. In addition, what does the pronoun ‘that’ refer to? As such, it refers to 15 years and is erroneous. It should refer to the “effort.’

Hi daagh,

In my pre-thinking step before looking at the answer choices, I though the verb should be has been/have been(Present perfect form) since the satellites or AM1 are/is a part of the continuous 15-year effort. But I am surprised to see the answer choices in present tense. Can you please let me know what I am missing?

Thanks,
Alok322.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 112

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 231

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
chunjuwu wrote:
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

The problem with this sentence is the meaning. The original sentence is just a train wreck and also has subject-verb agreement issue.(Satellites-is)

Now for subject verb and wrong modifier issues we can eliminate from a to c.

Coming to D - once again the meaning is the issue. As per the that modifier here - sentence states that effort has subjected the interaction but the effort did not do any action it just studied the actions.
So E clears the meaning by giving us the infinitive of purpose. E states that the purpose of the effort is to study/subject the interactions.

So answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 231

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 04:13
chunjuwu wrote:
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

Hi Egmat,

Can you tell me what's wrong with C and what is this structure in C 'part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting' Is this an independent clause where 'part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces' is the subject and are interacting is the verb?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:31

we are talking about satellites -- so we should use PLURAL
eliminate A & B -- using singular

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 02:12
Guys

Between D & E is there any distinction between ."an effort for" and "effort to"?

I need to understand if this can be the criteria for making the correct selection.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 08:37
souvik101990 wrote:
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

'that' refers to 'satellites', which is plural. Hence 'are' is required. A, B and C are out.

From D and E.

'effort for 15 years' has different meaning from '15-year effort'

E is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 69

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 09:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 04:23
There are many satellites for the purpose states in the underlined segment of the sentence. AM-1 is one of these sentences.

While, generally, each, one of the many, every one sends an alert about retaining singular verb forms, it is also important to understand the sentence. In the sentence provided, the underlines statement is not about AM-1 but about the many satellites. Hence, "are" fits in rather than "is".

This helps eliminate the options A,B and C.

Option D casts doubt about what has subjected interactions - the effort that is 15 year long or the satellites.

Hence, E

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 06:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

GMAT 1: 710 Q58 V48
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 08:15
why is B wrong? Satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

since the clause "which is a part of ... refers to a singular object, it could refer to the AM-1.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 07:29
hyoeun87 wrote:
why is B wrong? Satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact

since the clause "which is a part of ... refers to a singular object, it could refer to the AM-1.

Which usually refers to the noun in front of it, in this case satellites. Which cannot refer to nouns far away unless there is no ambiguity. Going by this rule, the option B has SV error.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 09:58

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces - that is incorrect as that refers to satellites . 15 years effort is incorrect .
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact - which is incorrect as which refers to satellites
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting - 15 years effort is incorrect
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces - infinitive is needed to show purpose . Illogical pronoun usage - that
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1073 [0], given: 90

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 09:17

Issue: Modifier | S/V Agreement | Verb form

Analysis:
1. The sentence talks about "AM-1" which is part of many new satellites.
2. "that" following "satellites" is an essential modifier for the satellites. Hence, we need to make sure that the verb in the modifier agrees with the plural "satellites"
3. Also, we need to careful about the meaning conveyed by the clause in each of the options that switches between verb form for "subject". Since, the sentence is talking about a 15 year long effort, the appropriate form to use here would be "infinitive"

Answer: E.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 31

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 07:11
chunjuwu wrote:

I want to add something to choice D.

if "for 15 year " can modify "effort" and "that has ..." modifie "effort", this modification is not logic because "effort " can not "subject". using our common sense of this world, we realize this illogic modification.

but one way to help us realize this illogic modification is the idiom "effort to do". this is idiom.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 05:14
whenever we see the word (one of the+noun) then it always follows the plural verb so A,B and c are out left with D&E , now d is unidiomatic (effort to not effort for )
hence answer is E

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 68

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 07:08
(E) is right, because in (B) "which is" refers to AM-1, whereas sentence is talking about all satellites of a 15-year report. Hence, should be plural

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 68

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 114

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 22:48

Answer E. One of the satellites.
so now the confusion comes with that are or is. Here many satellites are part of the 15-year effort.

1. That are - because many satellites are in the effort
1. One of the satellites. So E goes right for me.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 114

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 03:18

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces - "is" does not work with plural subject "satellites"
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact - "is" does not work with plural subject "satellites"
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting - no verb for "satellites", therefore the sentence is a fragment
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces - "that has subjected ..." complete mess
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces - CORRECT .. "are" clearly refers to plural "satellites" and the meaning is as clear as crystal

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 21:22
E is correct - The statement is clear and precise to the meaning.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Mannheim Thread Master
S

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 03:49
Answer choice 'E' is correct: The relative pronoun that refers to satellites, so it should be followed by a plural verb. The idiomatic expression is effort to rather than effort of. The correct adjectival term is 15-year rather than 15 years.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Re: Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the m   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2017, 03:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 114 posts ] 

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap