Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [24]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [25]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [1]
Send PM
Re: Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
desaichinmay22 wrote:
Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from point A at constant respective uniform speeds . What is the difference between their speeds (faster minus slower)?

(1) After 2 hours, the two cars are 140 miles apart

(2) When the faster car has covered a distance of 200 miles, the slower car has covered 150 miles

Yes, different directions doesn't necessarily imply opposite direction. They could move away from each other at any angle.

Statement 1 only tells you the distance between them. It doesn't tell us the distance covered by them together. If they moved in opposite directions, 140 would be the distance covered by them. If they moved perpendicular to each other, together they would have covered distance more than 140.

Statement 2 only tells us that the ratio of their speed is 200:150 = 4:3. We don't know what their actual speeds are.

Using both, we don't know the distance traveled by them together so we don't know their individual speeds. We cannot find the difference between their speeds. e.g.
Say they travel opposite to each other, their combined speed is 140/2 = 70 miles/hr. So their independent speeds are 40 miles/hr and 30 miles/hr. Difference in their speeds = 40 - 30 = 10 miles/hr
Say they travel perpendicular to each other, the distance between them is the hypotenuse of the right triangle and is 140. The distance traveled by them will be in the ratio 4:3 (legs of the triangle) so the 140 represents the side 5. Multiplier is 140/5 = 28. So the legs of the triangle are 4*28 and 3*28. Their speeds then are 4*28/2 = 56 miles/hr and 3*28/2 = 42 miles/hr. Difference between their speeds is 56 - 42 = 14 miles/hr

Answer (E)

+1. Thank you for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]
Kudos
Unnecessarily tricky question. If the cars are travelling on road and we measure road distance between points, then 'C'.
If the cars are moving on a vacant plain and we measure 'crow flies' distance, then E.

This seems to be more of lateral thinking question to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
This question is tricky because it seems as though you have enough information to solve for CAR_A_SPEED and CAR_B_SPEED. However, you do not but you can solve for their speeds combined. Considering the question is against C and E I'll just go through these scenarios.

Quote:
Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from point A at constant respective uniform speeds . What is the difference between their speeds (faster minus slower)?

(1) After 2 hours, the two cars are 140 miles apart

(2) When the faster car has covered a distance of 200 miles, the slower car has covered 150 miles

1+2) We know that Va = Da/t and Vb = Db/t as such we can write two equations
1. Va(2)+Vb(2) = 140
2. 200/Va = 150/Vb

We can then solve Va and Vb which are 40 miles/hr and 30 miles/hr respectively. Now then this should be QED solved BUT if you reread the questions carefully it says two cars start moving in different directions simultaneously it doesn't say in opposite directions.

As such you could have assumed one car went north and the other went west or one of the cars was moving away from the other at a 2 degree inclination from the origin (A).

As such the equations become very different and more unknowns are thrown into the mix.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Is this formula good to go ?
Relative distance / mod (faster - slower) = Relative time
or

Mod [Relative distance / (faster - slower)] = Relative time ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I'm getting C as well, are you sure the OA is E?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Two cars start moving simultaneously in different directions from poin [#permalink]
This is kind of a tricky one. Are you sure the OA is correct?

Situation (1):

You can set this up by saying distance = time * (V1+V2), where V1 is the speed of car 1 and V2 is the speed of car 2 (use + since they are moving in opp directions). Doesn't help you find V1-V2.

Situation (2):
Using same variables above, you can find distance of car 1 = V1(t), and distance of car 2 = V2(t) at some constant time t. You can take the ratio by saying d1/d2 = v1/v2, but that still doesn't give you enough to work with to find the difference.

Combined:
Seems like it should be sufficent, unless I'm missing something.

From (1), you can setup an equation such V2 = d/t - V1, and from (2) then (200/150) = V1/((140/2)-V1). Solve for V1, and then solve for V2.

Can one of the pros chime in? I admit DS is my worst topic on GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Send PM
I also marked C as the answer. But OA was given as E. OE was not provided.

Dear Bunuel :- Please confirm the OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
i think the catch in this question is that it says cars move in different directions that i think could be opposite direction or moving perpendicular... but i am not sure about this.

P.S--Bunnel please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Guys, although I answered this question in under 60 seconds, I must tell you that Gmat does not ask such questions. This question is to simply waste your time and fool you. Just bare with the fact that some users like to create non-gmat related questions. Don't get frustrated if you did not get this one correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts