It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2310 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 08:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:39) correct 24% (01:38) wrong based on 131 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new blood pressure drug, Transerythropaxil, has sensitized patients to develop fish allergies. The study was published last month in a major newspaper, and has been picked up by media throughout the country. Lab data has long shown that Transerythropaxil reacts strongly with Eicosapentaenoic acid, found in abundance in fish oil, and this reaction can produce biological irritants. Despite strenuous objections from Transerythropaxil's manufacturer, scientists working in federal labs have just published papers that provide conclusive evidence to the journalists' claim.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
B) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
C) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion
D) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.
E) Each provides support for the conclusion of the argument
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2310 [0], given: 178

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Re: Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 08:51
Harley1980 wrote:
Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new blood pressure drug, Transerythropaxil, has sensitized patients to develop fish allergies. The study was published last month in a major newspaper, and has been picked up by media throughout the country. Lab data has long shown that Transerythropaxil reacts strongly with Eicosapentaenoic acid, found in abundance in fish oil, and this reaction can produce biological irritants. Despite strenuous objections from Transerythropaxil's manufacturer, scientists working in federal labs have just published papers that provide conclusive evidence to the journalists' claim.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
B) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
C) The first provides support for conclusion of the argument; the second identifies the content of that conclusion
D) The first identifies the content of the conclusion of the argument; the second provides support for that conclusion.

Hi Harley1980, although i got it correct but it took me 2 mins 50 secs approx. can i get the OE for this?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 09:50
This is how i took it:
Conclusion: Journalists' claim was correct --------1

Claim (1st BF) = whether the new blood pressure drug, Transerythropaxil, has sensitized patients to develop fish allergies? -------2

Hence, From 1 and 2,
Conclusion = Journalists' 1st BF was correct

Therefore,
1st BF = Content for the conclusion.

Additionally, 2nd BF confirms that Transerythropaxil reacts strongly with something in fish, and this can produce biological irritants. Supporting our conclusion.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 142

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 00:09
My take:

The notable points in the passage are:
1. No conclusion is presented by the author.
2. Both the BF are premises.
3. 2nd BF provides support to resolve the issue at BF1.

Now, we can eliminate choices A,B, C and E directly because of point 1, i.e. we do not have a conclusion here. D is the only feasible choice. I would have marked and move on at this stage if I am on a negative time position in the test.
To be double sure about D, let's figure out what could be the conclusion at the first place. We have enough evidence to DOUBT that the new blood pressure drug, Transerythropaxil, has sensitized patients to develop fish allergies - which is stated in BF1. So, BF1 basically suggests how the conclusion should look like. So, D is the CORRECT answer.

Binit.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2310 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
grr8pe wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

Hi Harley1980, although i got it correct but it took me 2 mins 50 secs approx. can i get the OE for this?

Hello grr8pe.

In bold face questions we should firstly found conclusion and after this find how bold face parts relate to this conclusion. After this we can read the answers and found one correct.

Conclusion is should be some sentence after which we can insert word because and insert another sentence from argument (premise).

This argument is a little twisted because conclusion is disguise as a question:

Conclusion:
"the new blood pressure drug, Transerythropaxil, has sensitized patients to develop fish allergies." [because]
"Lab data has long shown that Transerythropaxil reacts strongly with Eicosapentaenoic acid, found in abundance in fish oil, and this reaction can produce biological irritants." [and because]
"scientists have just published papers that provide conclusive evidence to the journalists' claim."

So the first bold part is the conclusion. The second bold part support this conclusion because it gives positive answer on journalists question.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2310 [1], given: 178

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 06:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Re: Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 06:40

Two investigative journalists have raised the question whether the new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap