Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [28]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Two opposing scenarios, the “arboreal” hypothesis and the “cursorial” [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts, Can you tell an efficient way to solve these long RC passages? I solved this with 75% accuracy but it took me a long time. For instance, Q3, in which it is asked which of the following was mentioned for discussion of A hypothesis vs B hypothesis? Now, since there are so many details here in both the hypothesis, it took me 4 minutes to figure out what was mentioned in paragraph 2 while not mentioned in paragraph 1. This is way too much time. How do I go about improving this?

I read the entire passage and answered the first question in about 4 minutes, but the third question took me 4 minutes to go through so much detail for both theories and similarly question 4th question took about 3+ minutes because I was focused on eliminating the answer choices.

GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma - can you please advise?

Please advise. thank you!

Great analysis, VeritasKarishma!

sdlife, also remember that you do not need to get ALL of the questions right to get a great verbal score! If you are struggling that much with a question, make an educated guess and move on! Otherwise, you'll find yourself rushing and making mistakes on questions that you SHOULD get right.

If you're looking for a general framework for how to get a bit more efficient on RC, you might enjoy this thread, or potentially this video. I'm not sure whether they'll resonate with you, but they might be worth a quick peek.

Manukaran wrote:
Can someone explain why not option C for Q3.

Question #3 asks which answer choice undermines the "arboreal hypothesis." Let's take a look at answer choice (C):
Quote:
Many small animals are capable of climbing trees.

This one is tempting because the author does mention it while listing potential flaws in the arboreal hypothesis. Remember, the arboreal hypothesis holds that the ancestors of birds started by climbing trees and gradually began to glide to the ground, and then to fly. So if many small animals are capable of climbing trees, then it is possible that some of those animals eventually began to glide and then to fly. Thus, by itself, the fact that "many small animals are capable of climbing trees" is totally consistent with the arboreal hypothesis!

More context is given in the full sentence from the passage: "Many small animals, and even some goats and kangaroos, are capable of climbing trees but are not gliders." The last bit of the sentence -- that animals that are capable of climbing trees are not necessarily gliders -- is the part that really undermines potential evidence for the arboreal hypothesis. If certain animals can climb but cannot glide, then any arboreal adaptations in Archaeopteryx cannot be used as evidence that it began gliding down from trees.

Because (C) does not include the key information that potentially undermines the arboreal hypothesis, it is not the correct answer.

Quote:
(D) Plants in Archaeopteryx’s known habitats were relatively small

Again, the arboreal hypothesis "holds that bird ancestors began to fly by climbing trees and gliding down from branches with the help of incipient feathers: the height of trees provides a good starting place for launching flight, especially through gliding."

This hypothesis relies on the height of trees to provide a good starting place for launching flight. Sure, we don't know exactly how tall the trees need to be, but the fact that "there were no plants taller than a few meters in the environments where Archaeopteryx fossils have been found" certainly undermines the arboreal hypothesis.

(D) is the best choice.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 300
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Re: Two opposing scenarios, the “arboreal” hypothesis and the “cursorial” [#permalink]
Kudos
MithilaGauri wrote:
In Q4 why is option A incorrect??
It is stated that there is no convincing analysis to suggest that archaeopteryx could climb trees and fly with its forelimbs

Posted from my mobile device

And that's what option (E) states: "Scientists are uncertain whether it was capable of climbing trees." Hence, it's the correct answer.

On the other hand, Option (A) is incorrect as there is no mention in the paragraph about presence of feathers on Archaeopteryx's limbs.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts, Can you tell an efficient way to solve these long RC passages? I solved this with 75% accuracy but it took me a long time. For instance, Q3, in which it is asked which of the following was mentioned for discussion of A hypothesis vs B hypothesis? Now, since there are so many details here in both the hypothesis, it took me 4 minutes to figure out what was mentioned in paragraph 2 while not mentioned in paragraph 1. This is way too much time. How do I go about improving this?

I read the entire passage and answered the first question in about 4 minutes, but the third question took me 4 minutes to go through so much detail for both theories and similarly question 4th question took about 3+ minutes because I was focused on eliminating the answer choices.

sdlife - Actually, I would say the passage is not complicated. It is structured in a really neat fashion and I don't have to waste time looking for an answer at the wrong place.
I give a quick read to the passage and this is what I note:
Passage 1 - Talks about "arboreal". In second half, talks about "issues with arboreal" taking example of Archaeopteryx.
Passage 2 - Talks about "cursorial". Doesn't talk much about issues of cursorial. Seems more convinced with this one.

Answer 1 is straight forward then.
Answer 2, I agree is a bit more complicated to locate though my strategy was to focus on the second paragraph. I looked for things that cursorial did discuss and then cross checked to see which one was missing from first paragraph.
Answer 3 was very easy to locate. I focused on the second half on first paragraph. First point - not known whether could climb trees. Didn't find it in the options. Second point - No trees tall enough - found it in options. Answer
Answer 4 was then obviously (E) from the analysis of answer 3 above.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
hemantbafna wrote:
4. The passage suggests which of the following regarding the climbing ability of Archaeopteryx?

(A) Its ability to climb trees was likely hindered by the presence of incipient feathers on its forelimbs.
(B) It was probably better at climbing trees than were its maniraptoran dinosaur cousins.
(C) It had certain physical adaptations that suggest it was skilled at climbing trees.
(D) Scientists have recently discovered fossil evidence suggesting it could not climb trees.
(E) Scientists are uncertain whether it was capable of climbing trees

Can someone please help with question 4, as to why the answer choice is E and C. Thank you in advance. :)

GMATNinja

Hi hemantbafna,

Option C is incorrect as there is no concrete evidence presented to suggest that the Archaeopteryx had certain physical adaptations, that suggest it was skilled at climbing. Author is only hypothesizing, as he mentions most of the times: "Even if the animals could climb trees.......", which in turn makes Option E a strong choice, as the throughout the passage, author seems to be uncertain about whether the Archaeopteryx was capable of climbing trees.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Two opposing scenarios, the “arboreal” hypothesis and the “cursorial” [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PanpaliaAnshul wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja - Can you please help in highlighting the activities from the passage that are referred in option C ?

2. Which of the following is included in the discussion of the cursorial hypothesis but not in the discussion of the arboreal hypothesis?

(C) possible reason why bird ancestors might have been engaging in activities that eventually evolved into flight

What are the activities that eventually evolved into flight?

Arboreal hypothesis - climbing trees and gliding down from branches

Cursorial hypothesis - ran along the ground and stretched out their arms as they leaped into the air

Why were the bird ancestors engaging in these activities?

For arboreal hypothesis we are not given why they climbed trees and glided down from branches.

For cursorial hypothesis we are given that the ran along the ground and stretched out their arms for balance as they leaped into the air after insect prey or, perhaps, to avoid predators
We are given why they were carrying out these activities that evolved into flight.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V29
Send PM
I chose D for ques 2.....need explanation for its OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In Q4 why is option A incorrect??
It is stated that there is no convincing analysis to suggest that archaeopteryx could climb trees and fly with its forelimbs

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
u1983 broall

Could you please the following question to the RC?

Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?

A traditional hypothesis is presented, analyzed, and then rejected in light of newly discovered evidence.

A hypothesis is presented and critiqued, and then a second hypothesis, supported by more-compelling evidence, is presented.

Certain scientific facts are presented, and then two hypotheses attempting to account for those facts are discussed and evaluated.

Two opposing hypotheses are introduced and contrasted, and then evidence is presented to demonstrate that both hypotheses are likely flawed.

Two hypotheses are introduced, the evidence invoked to support them is evaluated, and then a recommendation is made for further research.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 528
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
4. The passage suggests which of the following regarding the climbing ability of Archaeopteryx?

(A) Its ability to climb trees was likely hindered by the presence of incipient feathers on its forelimbs.
(B) It was probably better at climbing trees than were its maniraptoran dinosaur cousins.
(C) It had certain physical adaptations that suggest it was skilled at climbing trees.
(D) Scientists have recently discovered fossil evidence suggesting it could not climb trees.

Can someone please help with question 4, as to why the answer choice is E and C. Thank you in advance. :)

GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 528
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
hemantbafna wrote:

GMATNinja

Hi hemantbafna,

Option C is incorrect as there is no concrete evidence presented to suggest that the Archaeopteryx had certain physical adaptations, that suggest it was skilled at climbing. Author is only hypothesizing, as he mentions most of the times: "Even if the animals could climb trees.......", which in turn makes Option E a strong choice, as the throughout the passage, author seems to be uncertain about whether the Archaeopteryx was capable of climbing trees.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks.

Thank you that helps in understanding. The author just hypotheses rather than stating that Archaeopteryx can climb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Two opposing scenarios, the “arboreal” hypothesis and the “cursorial” [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja - Can you please help in highlighting the activities from the passage that are referred in option C ?

2. Which of the following is included in the discussion of the cursorial hypothesis but not in the discussion of the arboreal hypothesis?

(A) discussion of some of the features of Archaeopteryx
(B) description of the environment known to have been inhabited by bird ancestors
(C) possible reason why bird ancestors might have been engaging in activities that eventually evolved into flight
(D) description of the obvious features of animals with gliding ability
(E) An estimate of the amount of time it took for bird ancestors to evolve the kind of flapping flight that allowed them to become completely airborne
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Re: Two opposing scenarios, the arboreal hypothesis and the cursorial [#permalink]
I was confused with question 1 with option A. Here two hypothesis are presented and authord did give an evedience of Archaeopteryx to counter these hypothesis. So why can not A be the answer?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Two opposing scenarios, the arboreal hypothesis and the cursorial [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
I was confused with question 1 with option A. Here two hypothesis are presented and authord did give an evedience of Archaeopteryx to counter these hypothesis. So why can not A be the answer?

While the passage does present evidence that challenges certain aspects of both the "arboreal" and "cursorial" hypotheses, it does more than just present counter evidence. The passage evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of each hypothesis, discusses their logical consistency, and considers various factors that support or undermine them. The intention of the passage is not solely to present counter evidence but to provide a comprehensive evaluation of the competing hypotheses.

Therefore, answer option (A) is not the best choice because it does not capture the full scope of the passage, which goes beyond presenting counter evidence to the hypotheses. The passage also aims to analyze and compare the hypotheses, consider their feasibility, and discuss supporting evidence for each.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts