Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [10]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Two trains A and B starting from two points and travelling [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatprav wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
fra wrote:
Two trains A and B starting from two points and travelling in opposite directions, reach their destinations 9 hours and 4 hours respectively after meeting each other. If the train A travels at 80kmph, find the rate at which the train B runs.

(A) 40
(B) 60
(C) 120
(D) 80
(E) 100

Posted from my mobile device

Using Formula:

If two objects A and B start simultaneously from opposite points and, after meeting, reach their destinations in ‘a’ and ‘b’ hours respectively (i.e. A takes ‘a hrs’ to travel from the meeting point to his destination and B takes ‘b hrs’ to travel from the meeting point to his destination), then the ratio of their speeds is given by:
Sa/Sb = √(b/a)
i.e. Ratio of speeds is given by the square root of the inverse ratio of time taken.
Sa/Sb = √(4/9) = 2/3

This gives us that the ratio of the speed of A : speed of B as 2:3.
Since speed of A is 80 kmph, speed of B must be 80*(3/2) = 120 kmph

You can also do this question without using the formula. Check out this post for the method: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/04 ... -formulas/

Can you please explain this a little more?

First, nothing is given in the question as to what are the destinations of each train. Are we to assume that the starting point of A is destination of B and vice-versa?

Second, the question also doesn't say whether the trains started at the same time, can we just assume that they did?

The intent of the question is quite clear - the execution sure is lacking. In my post, I have explicitly mentioned both points as they will be in an actual GMAT question too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

The intent of the question is quite clear - the execution sure is lacking. In my post, I have explicitly mentioned both points as they will be in an actual GMAT question too.

Hello Karishma thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked your link and it is very clear about the destinations, the current question was not. I also arrived at the same answer going purely by the intent :) I wanted to make sure I am not assuming something that is not stated in the question. Glad to know the real GMAT will not have this kind of ambiguity.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts