GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 14:23
I prefer using numbers for rate problems such as these.
So, here goes my method of solving the question :

Since both pumps take exactly 4 hours to fill the tank, assume the tank has 200 units.
Both the pumps fill the tank is 50 units/hour. It has been given that one of the pumps
fill the tank at 1.5 times the rate of the other pump.

If, Pump A(slower pump) fills at 20 units/hour, Pump B(faster pump - 1.5*rate of slower pump) fills at 30 units/hour

Therefore, if the faster pump alone worked, it would have filled the tank in \(\frac{200}{30}\) = \(\frac{20}{3}\) hours(Option E)

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Re: Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 09:36
Its always good to assume total work in such problems. The aim should be to find per hour work of each pump

Since total time is given to be 4 hours, we will assume total work to be a multiple of 4.
Lets assume total work=40 units
Per hour work of two pumps=40/4 = 10 units
Ratio of rate(per hour work) of two pumps = 1.5/1 or 3/2
So out of a total of 10 units filled per hour, faster pump fills 6 units and slower pump fills 4 units.

If faster pump works alone
Total work= 40 units
Rate = 6 units/ hour
Time = 40/6 = 20/3

Hence E.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 12:06
lets assume 2 pumps capacity 2.5 (as one is 1.5 more productive than another)
then amount of work produced in 4 hours will be:
2.5 * 4 = 10
keeping the same amount of work and taking into account that only one pump will be working with the productivity rate of 1.5 how many hours is needed:
1.5*x = 10
x = 100/15 = 20/3 hours
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 02:12
There’s a couple of steps we have to take in this question, but all hinge on the same formula.
R*T = W
Let’s look at what we have and what we need.
The rate of two machines is ¼. Because R * 4 = 4. → R = ¼.
We also know that the rate of anything is R = W/T.
This means that 1/x + 1/x = ¼ - because we have two machines.
We are given that one machine is 1.5 times faster than the other. So we can adapt this formula to:
1/x + 1/x *3/2 = 1x+3/2x = ¼ → 5/2x = ¼ → x = 2/20 → x = 1/10.
We know that the rate of one machine is 1/10. And one is faster 1.5x times faster.
1/10x * 3/2 = 3/20.
The rate of the faster machine is 3/20. Let’s fill this in the formula to find out the time for the faster machine.
3/20 * T = 1
T = 20/3.
This is answer choice E

Need to get your GMAT score for a 600 minimum to get admitted into RSM or another top uni in the Netherlands? Feel free to PM me for affordable one-on-one tutoring or group classes.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 05:38
Bunuel wrote:
kmasonbx wrote:
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool. If the constant rate of one pump was 1.5 times the constant rate of the other, how many hours would it have taken the faster pump to fill the pool if it had worked alone at it's constant rate?

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Work rate problems are my weakest area. For whatever reason I get mixed up on these problem. Even knowing the answer to this question I can't figure out how it comes out to that answer. Any help would be great, thanks!

Say the rate of the faster pump is x pool/hour, then the rate of the slower pump would be x/1.5=2x/3 pool/hour.

Since, the combined rate is 1/4 pool/hour, then we have that x+2x/3=1/4 --> x=3/20 pool hour.

The time is reciprocal of the rate, therefore it would take 20/3 hours the faster pump to fill the pool working alone.

Answer: E.

Theory on work/rate problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/work-word-pro ... 87357.html

All DS work/rate problems to practice: http://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: http://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=66

I'm having trouble seeing how you got x= 3/20 from x+2x = 1/4. Do you mind showing step by step? thank you!!
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 05:44
rnz wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kmasonbx wrote:
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool. If the constant rate of one pump was 1.5 times the constant rate of the other, how many hours would it have taken the faster pump to fill the pool if it had worked alone at it's constant rate?

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Work rate problems are my weakest area. For whatever reason I get mixed up on these problem. Even knowing the answer to this question I can't figure out how it comes out to that answer. Any help would be great, thanks!

Say the rate of the faster pump is x pool/hour, then the rate of the slower pump would be x/1.5=2x/3 pool/hour.

Since, the combined rate is 1/4 pool/hour, then we have that x+2x/3=1/4 --> x=3/20 pool hour.

The time is reciprocal of the rate, therefore it would take 20/3 hours the faster pump to fill the pool working alone.

Answer: E.

Theory on work/rate problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/work-word-pro ... 87357.html

All DS work/rate problems to practice: http://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: http://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=66

I'm having trouble seeing how you got x= 3/20 from x+2x = 1/4. Do you mind showing step by step? thank you!!

\(x+\frac{2x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(\frac{3x+2x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(\frac{5x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(20x=3\);

\(x=\frac{3}{20}\).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 20:58
I substituted numbers and got to the answer choice E.

pushpitkc - Most of the time for work/rate problems i use number substitution method. Though it is useful most of the time, in couple of occasions, i ended up doing little large calculations.

Please advise the best strategy to follow especially for harder questions.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 23:44
Hey akadiyan

Try another set of numbers if you feel the calculations are taking a lot of time. Spend
no more than 30 seconds once you start the calculations. Only if you are close to your
answer, go ahead!

To choose the numbers correctly, you should start by using the LCM of the numbers.
IMO, Choosing the right number is all about practice. With a lot of practice, you will be
able to easily find the numbers. However, if you are unable to find the right number, go
with the traditional method.

If Tap A fills the tank is 2 hours, it fills 1/2 of the tank in an hour......

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Re: Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective &nbs [#permalink] 07 May 2018, 23:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap