It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1271

Kudos [?]: 2384 [1], given: 178

Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 10:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:42) correct 40% (02:03) wrong based on 252 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies had 175 sexual harassment cases open, a number that at that time led all companies in the sector. At that time, a typical claim took six months to process and clear. In response to this high number, the CEO's Advisory Team published a comprehensive set of guidelines for training employees in the identification and avoidance of behaviors that could constitute sexual harassment. At this writing, the human resources department has only sixty sexual harassment cases open. Clearly, the guidelines published by the CEO's Advisory Team were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion above?

A) Two of the six members of the CEO's Advisory Team were found guilty of sexually harassing members of the secretarial staff
B) New paperwork and procedure, also introduced two years ago, has allowed the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies to process and close almost all new claims of sexual harassment in less than one month.
C) The human resources department at Anthony Information Industries, a principal rival of Harrison's with a similar number of employees, opened no new sexual harassment claims in the past year.
D) Independent consultants using scientifically designed surveys have found that the majority of current employees at Harrison's Technologies are not properly educated on exactly what behaviors constitute sexual harassment.
E) The majority of sexual harassment claims lead to the termination of employees found guilty; new employees hired to fill these positions need to be trained in the guidelines.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2384 [1], given: 178

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 14:56
[quote="Harley1980"]Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies had 175 sexual harassment cases open, a number that at that time led all companies in the sector. At that time, a typical claim took six months to process and clear. In response to this high number, the CEO's Advisory Team published a comprehensive set of guidelines for training employees in the identification and avoidance of behaviors that could constitute sexual harassment. At this writing, the human resources department has only sixty sexual harassment cases open. Clearly, the guidelines published by the CEO's Advisory Team were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion above?

A) Two of the six members of the CEO's Advisory Team were found guilty of sexually harassing members of the secretarial staff
This explains nothing regarding the guidelines-out of scope

B) New paperwork and procedure, also introduced two years ago, has allowed the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies to process and close almost all new claims of sexual harassment in less than one month.
(something causes the result.Weakener)

C) The human resources department at Anthony Information Industries, a principal rival of Harrison's with a similar number of employees, opened no new sexual harassment claims in the past year.(Out of scope. This explains reg other Industry)

D) Independent consultants using scientifically designed surveys have found that the majority of current employees at Harrison's Technologies are not properly educated on exactly what behaviors constitute sexual harassment.(This either strengthens or weakens the claim as they may miss to file a claim or false claim)

E) The majority of sexual harassment claims lead to the termination of employees found guilty; new employees hired to fill these positions need to be trained in the guidelines.(This explains the after procedure of investigation for guilty accused persons. This explains nothing regarding the guidelines-out of scope.)

Confused and selected D :?
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 15:27
Mechmeera wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies had 175 sexual harassment cases open, a number that at that time led all companies in the sector. At that time, a typical claim took six months to process and clear. In response to this high number, the CEO's Advisory Team published a comprehensive set of guidelines for training employees in the identification and avoidance of behaviors that could constitute sexual harassment. At this writing, the human resources department has only sixty sexual harassment cases open. Clearly, the guidelines published by the CEO's Advisory Team were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion above?

A) Two of the six members of the CEO's Advisory Team were found guilty of sexually harassing members of the secretarial staff
This explains nothing regarding the guidelines-out of scope

B) New paperwork and procedure, also introduced two years ago, has allowed the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies to process and close almost all new claims of sexual harassment in less than one month.
(something causes the result.Weakener)

C) The human resources department at Anthony Information Industries, a principal rival of Harrison's with a similar number of employees, opened no new sexual harassment claims in the past year.(Out of scope. This explains reg other Industry)

D) Independent consultants using scientifically designed surveys have found that the majority of current employees at Harrison's Technologies are not properly educated on exactly what behaviors constitute sexual harassment.(This either strengthens or weakens the claim as they may miss to file a claim or false claim)

E) The majority of sexual harassment claims lead to the termination of employees found guilty; new employees hired to fill these positions need to be trained in the guidelines.(This explains the after procedure of investigation for guilty accused persons. This explains nothing regarding the guidelines-out of scope.)

Confused and selected D :?


Hi,

Clearly the confusion is between B & D.One important point to note is the focus is on the time taken to close a case(or reduce the no. of pending cases) and never
on the number of cases raised.So in this case B weakens the argument by saying that the new procedure to close the cases resulting in less number of pending cases.
In option D even if the employees hadnt learned anyhthing new or if they have leaned new things,the cases could have increased/decreased but thats not the point
thats important.It could still have the same number of pending cases or even increased but you will never know as you didnt have that previous number to make the comparison.
Hope this helps and I havent confused you ;-)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 03:05
iikarthik wrote:
Hi,

Clearly the confusion is between B & D.One important point to note is the focus is on the time taken to close a case(or reduce the no. of pending cases) and never on the number of cases raised.So in this case B weakens the argument by saying that the new procedure to close the cases resulting in less number of pending cases.

In option D even if the employees hadnt learned anyhthing new or if they have leaned new things,the cases could have increased/decreased but thats not the point thats important.It could still have the same number of pending cases or even increased but you will never know as you didnt have that previous number to make the comparison.
Hope this helps and I havent confused you ;-)
I'm not able agree to your explanation reg D.

The conclusion says
Quote:
Clearly, the guidelines were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies

It is clear that cases have reduced and
conclusion says thay guidelines are the ones responsible for it.

I feel there is no case of comparison :|
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 11:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Mechmeera wrote:
iikarthik wrote:
Hi,

Clearly the confusion is between B & D.One important point to note is the focus is on the time taken to close a case(or reduce the no. of pending cases) and never on the number of cases raised.So in this case B weakens the argument by saying that the new procedure to close the cases resulting in less number of pending cases.

In option D even if the employees hadnt learned anyhthing new or if they have leaned new things,the cases could have increased/decreased but thats not the point thats important.It could still have the same number of pending cases or even increased but you will never know as you didnt have that previous number to make the comparison.
Hope this helps and I havent confused you ;-)
I'm not able agree to your explanation reg D.

The conclusion says
Quote:
Clearly, the guidelines were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies

It is clear that cases have reduced and
conclusion says thay guidelines are the ones responsible for it.

I feel there is no case of comparison :|


Correct,the conclusion says that guidelines are the ones responsible for it(not the reduction in cases but only the reduction is open cases).our job is to weaken the conclusion.Do note that reduction in number of open cases doesnt necessarily mean that the guidelines were effective and people have changed.The conclusion would have been stronger had they mentioned that the number of cases filed have also reduced.Also,the conclusion never says explicitly that the behavior changed only due to training.The conclusion is based on the only fact that the number of open cases were less after the guidelines were introduced.What if there was another cause that led to the reduction in not the total number of cases filed but only in the number of open cases.If we could provide an alternate reason for the reduced number of open cases(upon which the conclusion is based) it automatically weakens the conclusion.The alternate reason here for the reduction in the number of open cases is that the procedure for closing the cases got simplified and coincidentally,the change in process happened at the same time when the guidelines were issued.Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 23

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1087

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1030

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 03:10
Normally, in gmat, the argument (typically for assumption, strengthen, weaken questions) has a clear structure. In other words, the main premise has an obvious reason to support the main conclusion. Sometimes, the main conclusion and the main premise of the argument may mislead the test takers because the meaning may not fit the passage; in those cases, test takers should check the question stem.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1030

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 46

CAT Tests
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 15:42
Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies had 175 sexual harassment cases open, a number that at that time led all companies in the sector. At that time, a typical claim took six months to process and clear. In response to this high number, the CEO's Advisory Team published a comprehensive set of guidelines for training employees in the identification and avoidance of behaviors that could constitute sexual harassment. At this writing, the human resources department has only sixty sexual harassment cases open. Clearly, the guidelines published by the CEO's Advisory Team were effective in reducing the occurrence of new sexual harassment claims at Harrison's Technologies.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion above?
A Two of the six members of the CEO's Advisory Team were found guilty of sexually harassing members of the secretarial staff
B New paperwork and procedure, also introduced two years ago, has allowed the human resources department at Harrison's Technologies to process and close almost all new claims of sexual harassment in less than one month.
C The human resources department at Anthony Information Industries, a principal rival of Harrison's with a similar number of employees, opened no new sexual harassment claims in the past year.
D Independent consultants using scientifically designed surveys have found that the majority of current employees at Harrison's Technologies are not properly educated on exactly what behaviors constitute sexual harassment.
E The majority of sexual harassment claims lead to the termination of employees found guilty; new employees hired to fill these positions need to be trained in the guidelines.

Why D is incorrect?

Last edited by broall on 09 Sep 2017, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 46

Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 15:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Two years ago, the human resources department at Harrison's

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.