Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink]
Kudos
thanks for your words of encouragement. just worried that i won't hear back until april, june, or even august (from what i have heard in the past) and i'm still waiting to hear back from usc. at this point, if i am admitted to the abroad program in barcelona, i will more likely accept the offer.

in regards to the on-campus interviews, either an alumni or current student will conduct the interviews- which will be at the most 30 min. they know nothing about your profile and will be seeing your resume for the first time. you will have the chance to elaborate on your experience and then they proceed to ask you five questions. not sure if it will be the same for R2 but from what i remember there were some pretty obscure questions such as 1) which of your (past or present) bosses management style do you like the best and why, 2) what is something FEMBA program will help or change you for someone that depended on you before you joined the program (cant quite remember the exact question anymore). there were also the typical.. why anderson? why FEMBA?

hope this helps some of you! but as Andersonbound had mentioned, the interview may only marginally enhance your app but it doesn't hurt (especially if you are local). good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Got a call too. I am in. Though the website shows status submitted. Was told the emails will go out Friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
M/35/Indian/IIT, 12 yrs of hitech work ex, 730GMAT.
No changes show up online on the status page (Still shows submitted). Submitted on 3/4 (the last day I guess)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Found this forum recently . I got the call as well :) 690/8yrs in Tech industry. Good luck to all.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:USC, UCLA
Send PM
Kudos
Finally off that waitlist! Accepted! I was also accepted to USC a few months back (which I put the deposit down for). It's going to be a tough decision to make. UCLA education vs. USC network.

:banana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Kudos
sanknox wrote:
UCLA FEMBA vs USC MBA.PM comparisons can tread dangerous waters so I will try to give my objective opinion as someone who was admitted to both programs and why I chose FEMBA:

1.) First impressions matter a lot especially when you are making a life altering decision (hopefully) such as going to business school. And just a quick perusal through UCLA and USC's website shows the glaring differences in the effort put in explaining about the program. I will let you be the judge for that. To take it to the next step, the information session at UCLA was amazing especially when they had current FEMBA students mix with the prospective applicants. In comparison, when I attended USC's info session, there was not even a sign in the building indicating that a session was going on and I spent 10 minutes tracking down the room. Again, I use this as a data point because as much as I want to attend a great program, the school should be willing to 'recruit' and 'wow' me.

2.) Application process:

UCLA: Spent a boatload of time preparing the application with all the essays and application. Not to mention an Interview and a hand written note a week later from the interviewer thanking me for the interest.
USC: Spent about 1 week on the application (albeit took majority of the content from the UCLA essay). But no interview, application did not even ask for extra curricular activities. My biggest concern was how the vetting process could not include an interview (or even a phone interview). After all, stats and essays dont tell everything.

3.) Class Profile: I havent attended the classes at either institution but another reason that tilted me towards FEMBA was that they were willing to have Saturday sessions. This is not only a matter of convenience but also the fact that it brings diversity to the class. A good majority fly in and a lot more drive in from around LA. USC's decision to not have weekend classes makes it very hard for students outside the LA area to logistically make the program (who wants to be going into downtown LA at 5pm)

4.) Pros and Cons: Yes. They exist for both programs and I am sure the USC MBA.PM is pretty good since it is consistently ranked as one of the top part-time programs. But again, maybe it was just me but they did not sell me on the program at the information session. The one word I kept hearing again and again at the session was the Network. I get that but if I am spending 3yrs then I want to be able to walk away with a lot more knowledge than just the network.

5.) Reputation: As others have pointed, generally UCLA has a better reputation and in the long run it probably works for what I am planning to achieve.

Finally, when I walked out of the UCLA campus I said to myself "I want to be in this program". Unfortunately, I couldnt say the same after I came out of USC's. So if all else fails with the analysis, go with the gut :)

Completely agree. I applied to both but just looking at the essay questions on the USC.PM app (only 3 total, both smaller and easier than the questions on the Anderson, Haas, etc apps), and the website layout (whole thing was rushed... I could spell out specific examples if you want)... UCLA definitely seems a step above USC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Schools:UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V42
GPA: 3.49
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Just got a call from USC...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on USC, IndianJaguar

How did the call go? Have you already committed to UCLA?
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA
 Q48  V43
GPA: 3.5+
WE 1: 7+ years as Software Engineer and Team Lead in various industries.
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,
Although this is my first post, I have been following this thread since a while now. Congratulations to all who have managed to get in.
I decided to go for a MBA only in late March. I've been very busy since then and just got done with my GMAT (730). I haven't completed my application yet, but expect to be done by the 26th deadline. I have 7 years of work experience as a software engineer (yes, another one of them damn engineers). I read that there are still 50 or so seats remaining and I hope to get one of them. Based on whether you have got in or not and my GMAT score and work experience would anybody like to comment on my chances?
Finally I want to thank the entire community for their contributions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
blogreader wrote:
Hey guys,
Although this is my first post, I have been following this thread since a while now. Congratulations to all who have managed to get in.
I decided to go for a MBA only in late March. I've been very busy since then and just got done with my GMAT (730). I haven't completed my application yet, but expect to be done by the 26th deadline. I have 7 years of work experience as a software engineer (yes, another one of them damn engineers). I read that there are still 50 or so seats remaining and I hope to get one of them. Based on whether you have got in or not and my GMAT score and work experience would anybody like to comment on my chances?

Blogreader,
Its very tough to comment on the chances since GMAT and work ex is only part of the package and you are right around/above the median on both those fronts. My advice though would be to concentrate on your essays these last 2 days as they would be way more important at this stage. You are right that there are 50 or more seats still left but do realize that you will be pooled in and evaluated along with all the new applicants in Round 3 and all the waitlisted candidates in round 1 and 2.

I don't mean to discourage you but have you considered applying in fall for the 2014 batch. It seems too rushed to go from deciding to go for an MBA in late March to applying in late May. I say this because you may be able to put together a much better application if you have more time. I know for me it was a 6 month process from attending an info session to the moment I hit the submit button (though GMAT was a good bit which you have taken care of). That being said, this year has been different so good luck with whatever decision you make!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Dinged from USC...the decision was available yesterday but I didn't check until now. I'm surprised it came early as I applied in April and my decision notification was posted as June 1st. I guess schools do ding people before the published notification date. Still very optimistic and holding out hope for UCLA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Kudos
IndianJaguar wrote:
Just got a call from USC...

Me too. They want my decision by June 1 too.

It took them 3 weeks to review my application and admit me...
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA FEMBA rnd 2, USC MBA.PM
 Q42  V41
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Kudos
Got my waitlist notification from USC yesterday. Still waiting to hear anything from UCLA.

More waiting... Ughh...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
blogreader wrote:
Hey guys,

I like your chances as long as your GPA is 3.0+ and your essays are good. And don't miss that deadline.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Guys, been following this thread for a long time, and finally decided to write. Ok so I have been admitted into the USC.PM program and paid all the associated dues. Am on the brink of starting the paperwork for USC but am holding out hope for UCLA FEMBA

Here are my stats:

3.6 GPA from a UC System School
620 GMAT score
Worked for a big tech firm- "Idealab" in Human Resources field
Decent Admissions Interview
LOR from Manager and CEO of Idealab

What are my chances? Should I simply move on to USC?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I used to live in San Diego and knew some people who did the FEMBA. It's a good program. For finance, UCLA is the best school on the west coast.

If I'm not mistaken Business Week now has Anderson as their number one part time program. A bummer for me since I'm going to Stern (the former number one) but still. If you're doing a part time MBA, there's nothing wrong with UCLA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
klr - I'm in the Bay Area but liked UCLA FEMBA much better than Haas. The class is more diverse, the GAP program is pretty good and career services seem more helpful. Fingers crossed. Lets hope.

And congratulations on Stern!! Awesome school!!!

Originally posted by levfin2003 on 21 Jan 2010, 07:31.
Last edited by levfin2003 on 21 Jan 2010, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16