Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Kudos
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

The pronoun ''their'' implies that the subject is ''plural'' in nature. Since (A) and (B) implies the presence of a singular subject, we can eliminate (A) and (B).

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
- the pronoun ''those'' has two logical antecedents: ''birds'' and ''eggs''.
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including - has no error. Hence, (D) is the right answer choice.
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including
- since the clause preceding the underlined portion is a noun modifier, we need to have a noun immediately succeeding the underlined portion.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This question popped up on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread. Reposting our answer here, just in case it helps anybody.
VKat wrote:
Sir,

Could you please explain why option C is correct for following post-

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

(A) a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(B) a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

Check out this post and this follow-up post for explanations of why (B) and (C) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(A) Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

In choice (A), the singular subject ("a female cowbird") doesn't match with the plural pronoun ("their") in the opening modifier, so we can eliminate this one right away.

Quote:

The problem with (E) is that the opening modifier seems to modify "up to 40 eggs a year" -- this suggests that "up to 40 eggs a year" are somehow "unable to build nests or care for their young," and of course that doesn't make any sense, unless these eggs are already breeding.

That's probably enough reason to go with (D) over (E), but another small vote against (E) is the placement of the prepositional phrase "in the nests of other birds": in (D), "in the nests of other birds" is clearly meant to tell us WHERE the female cowbirds lay the eggs. But in (E), "in the nests of other birds" seems to modify "female cowbirds" -- so do these female cowbirds LIVE in the nests of other birds? Are the female cowbirds actually laying up to 40 eggs a year in those nests or somewhere else? The meaning is less clear here.

That leaves (D) as the winner.

I hope that helps!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi AndrewN,

I hope you're doing fine.

This question caught my attention after receiving it my PM. Though, (D) is the correct choice here, and I do refute that, (C) doesn't look half bad.
Many experts, including Charles, have opined on the "ambiguity" surrounding the usage of "those" in (C), citing it can refer to "eggs". But, as per logic, "those" can refer only to "the nests". Pronoum ambiguity is an issue when one can construe multiple meaning through a sentence because of the placement of an "ambiguous" pronoun. But, here I believe, the second meaning is being forced to cause "pronoun ambiguity", for, per logic, no bird can lay eggs of an another bird in nature. So, "those" can refer only to "the nests" here.

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of warblers, etc.

Here, "including the nests of x,y,z" refers to "the nests of other birds" in the preceding clause, and the "including the nests of x,y,z" phrase adds information about the group of "different nests" that cowbirds use to lay eggs. And this meaning doesn't look bad to me.

What are your thoughts on this?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

I hope you're doing fine.

This question caught my attention after receiving it my PM. Though, (D) is the correct choice here, and I do refute that, (C) doesn't look half bad.
Many experts, including Charles, have opined on the "ambiguity" surrounding the usage of "those" in (C), citing it can refer to "eggs". But, as per logic, "those" can refer only to "the nests". Pronoum ambiguity is an issue when one can construe multiple meaning through a sentence because of the placement of an "ambiguous" pronoun. But, here I believe, the second meaning is being forced to cause "pronoun ambiguity", for, per logic, no bird can lay eggs of an another bird in nature. So, "those" can refer only to "the nests" here.

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of warblers, etc.

Here, "including the nests of x,y,z" refers to "the nests of other birds" in the preceding clause, and the "including the nests of x,y,z" phrase adds information about the group of "different nests" that cowbirds use to lay eggs. And this meaning doesn't look bad to me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hello, PyjamaScientist. Have you looked at this earlier post of mine? In it, I discuss how even in a rearranged sentence in which those of was right next to the nests of other birds, I would still prefer (D). In short, the nests of other birds already makes it clear that including encompasses nests.

Furthermore, ambiguity of meaning does not always mean that there are two (or more) legitimate ways of interpreting something, just that it may take a moment to sort out what something refers to. On first read, going left to right, it is confusing to hit female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of, because we are not accustomed in writing to having to reach back over two plural nouns to land on the one that makes the most sense. A better composed sentence should put the reader in a position to do less work.

Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JaydeepPatadiya wrote:
I got this correct as D seemed only the correct choice. But I am confused with comma + verb-ing modifier. The rule for comma + verb-iing modifier is that it modifies the entire preceding clause (to confirm this the subject of verb-ing modifier and the subject of the preceding clause must be same). Here verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding noun and not the preceding the clause. Hence, should not comma be eliminated?

I would really appreciate a response of someone in this regard to clear the doubt.

'including' is used as a preposition here, not verb-ing.
Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/unable-to-bu ... l#p2068259
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma egmat

In option (C), why can not those refer to nests?

How do I take including ? As a noun or as a modifier?
Is there any difference of placement of coma before including and
its absence that would lead to change of role it plays?

Is there any twist in intended meaning in (C)?

I was able to correctly strike off A and B because of paying attention to
their in non-underlined portion which must have a plural noun antecedent.

E has clear subject placement issue since after unlike... , the phrase after coma
must open with subject/ noun it is comparing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
What is the role of 'including' in the choice D?

Sounds like it is an 'ing' modifying the previous clause. But as per the meaning, it should modify 'birds'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
GMATNinja, what is the clause including warbles, vireos modifying? Is the use of comma correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hey Gagoosh,

The "including" clause modifies "other birds". What follows is then a list of other bird species that the cowbird might take care of. The first comma, before the word including, is there to offset that modifier, and the rest of the commas are there to indicate that you're dealing with a list :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
dear LauraOrion, thank you for your reply.
my confusion was that since comma + verb-ing modifies the action of the main clause (being the adverbial modifier), why is this structure modifying the preceding noun?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
daagh wrote:
pikolo wrote

Quote:
Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. The word "including" is modifying the preceding clause - right? A few people on the thread commented it is modifying the nearest noun i.e.
- in Option C, "including" ----> year
- in option D, "including" ----> birds
2. How did you conclude that "those of" in option C is referring to "eggs" and not referring to "nests" ?

1. If you have a comma before including, then it will never modify the noun before.

2. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Let's replace the pronoun with both nouns:

1. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the eggs of
2. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of

Both choices are equally weird, the second being more bizarre

Hi,

I understand why C is incorrect but I want to know how choice D is correct. Here including cannot refer to birds as per the rules right? Please explain what including is modifying.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V167

GRE 2: Q166 V167
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Do the comma + ing modifier rules apply to '??ncluding' in this case?
In answer choice C, why is the use of 'including' incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts,

I was wondering if you could help me with this one, I was between C and D.
In C doesn't "those of" modify nests? If not, why does it modify eggs? what I mean is.... how do we know whether it modifies eggs or nests?

In D if only it had something like "including the nests of warblers,vireos etc." plain including and the name of the others birds doesn't sound correct for me
Any help is appreciated because I'm confused.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Hi,

I usually tend to get confused on sentences which offer a choice between (including that/those of) and (including).

Would anyone care to explain why D is the most appropriate answer choice?

(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including

generis GMATNinja chetan2u
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
there is no comparison issue here, right?

Because at first, it sounds like they are comparing NESTS of other birds with the other birds, which is illogical. But after re reading the sentence, i do not see any comparison triggers such as like/than/and.

For example if i say: "During recess time, I clean up the desks of my classmates, including Adam, Brad, and Charlie."

Is the sentence above correct? Because to me, it sounds like the list in the end should be "Adam's, Brad's, and Charlie's" My logic is the parallelism issue here that the middle part of the sentence is talking about "desks of my classmates" so the last part should also refer to their desks and not themselves?

Can someone help my understand better please? Thanks.

I'm really guessing that there's no parallelism issue here, I just need someone to confirm.

GMATNinja daagh mikemcgarry
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM

In the answer choice D we can see a comma before the word "including" which modifies immediately preceding noun "other birds", as we know we do not need a comma for verb-ing modifier which modifies immediately preceding noun. Do we really need a comma before including?
For example, Marry noticed a beautiful bouquet releasing a pleasant aroma.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cathygeorge123, this indeed creates confusion.

The thing is that including is not really a present participle, but actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts