Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, Bunuel, can you please help to clarify why including cannot be referred to the nests?
VeritasKarishma, thank you for providing some clarification on this. I am still not clear whether verb-ing should be used essential words. eggs is an essential word-->> verb-ing should be used to modify it, not nests.

Hello tkorzhan1995,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubts.

As VeritasKarishma wrote, here "including" is used to introduce the examples of the birds "warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes", and thus must logically refer back to "birds" rather than to "nests".

Further, it cannot be used to modify "eggs", as "eggs" here refers to the cowbird's eggs; modifying "eggs" with "including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes" would illogically imply that warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes are examples of cowbird eggs. There is no rule that limits which nouns in a sentence can be modified by a present participle ("verb+ing"). So long as the meaning it conveys is correct, a present participle can modify any noun in a sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi AndrewN,

I hope you're doing fine.

This question caught my attention after receiving it my PM. Though, (D) is the correct choice here, and I do refute that, (C) doesn't look half bad.
Many experts, including Charles, have opined on the "ambiguity" surrounding the usage of "those" in (C), citing it can refer to "eggs". But, as per logic, "those" can refer only to "the nests". Pronoum ambiguity is an issue when one can construe multiple meaning through a sentence because of the placement of an "ambiguous" pronoun. But, here I believe, the second meaning is being forced to cause "pronoun ambiguity", for, per logic, no bird can lay eggs of an another bird in nature. So, "those" can refer only to "the nests" here.

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of warblers, etc.

Here, "including the nests of x,y,z" refers to "the nests of other birds" in the preceding clause, and the "including the nests of x,y,z" phrase adds information about the group of "different nests" that cowbirds use to lay eggs. And this meaning doesn't look bad to me.

What are your thoughts on this?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

I hope you're doing fine.

This question caught my attention after receiving it my PM. Though, (D) is the correct choice here, and I do refute that, (C) doesn't look half bad.
Many experts, including Charles, have opined on the "ambiguity" surrounding the usage of "those" in (C), citing it can refer to "eggs". But, as per logic, "those" can refer only to "the nests". Pronoum ambiguity is an issue when one can construe multiple meaning through a sentence because of the placement of an "ambiguous" pronoun. But, here I believe, the second meaning is being forced to cause "pronoun ambiguity", for, per logic, no bird can lay eggs of an another bird in nature. So, "those" can refer only to "the nests" here.

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of warblers, etc.

Here, "including the nests of x,y,z" refers to "the nests of other birds" in the preceding clause, and the "including the nests of x,y,z" phrase adds information about the group of "different nests" that cowbirds use to lay eggs. And this meaning doesn't look bad to me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hello, PyjamaScientist. Have you looked at this earlier post of mine? In it, I discuss how even in a rearranged sentence in which those of was right next to the nests of other birds, I would still prefer (D). In short, the nests of other birds already makes it clear that including encompasses nests.

Furthermore, ambiguity of meaning does not always mean that there are two (or more) legitimate ways of interpreting something, just that it may take a moment to sort out what something refers to. On first read, going left to right, it is confusing to hit female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of, because we are not accustomed in writing to having to reach back over two plural nouns to land on the one that makes the most sense. A better composed sentence should put the reader in a position to do less work.

Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I got this correct as D seemed only the correct choice. But I am confused with comma + verb-ing modifier. The rule for comma + verb-iing modifier is that it modifies the entire preceding clause (to confirm this the subject of verb-ing modifier and the subject of the preceding clause must be same). Here verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding noun and not the preceding the clause. Hence, should not comma be eliminated?

I would really appreciate a response of someone in this regard to clear the doubt.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JaydeepPatadiya wrote:
I got this correct as D seemed only the correct choice. But I am confused with comma + verb-ing modifier. The rule for comma + verb-iing modifier is that it modifies the entire preceding clause (to confirm this the subject of verb-ing modifier and the subject of the preceding clause must be same). Here verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding noun and not the preceding the clause. Hence, should not comma be eliminated?

I would really appreciate a response of someone in this regard to clear the doubt.

'including' is used as a preposition here, not verb-ing.
Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/unable-to-bu ... l#p2068259
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts