GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UNC KF vs UCLA Anderson

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
UNC KF vs UCLA Anderson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 08:34
Hi all,

Thank you for all your help through the application process and especially the GMAT prep (700).

I was luckily accepted to two great programs in UNC KF and UCLA Anderson. My goal post-MBA is either IB/Consulting (MBB, Deloitte if possible).
I am working towards narrowing down my industry focus to one since I understand they share the same recruitment cycles and am currently learning towards consulting.

My wife and I are from the South, so we would most likely like to end up there long-term, but my understanding is that with IB/Consulting you can always move offices one day if you are a high performer (who knows, we might love CA and stay there). Based on research, it seems that Anderson would be the best fit for consulting and maybe even IB (we do not want to end up in NY) due to superior MBB, Deloitte placement.

Any advice from the great posters here?

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
UNC KF vs UCLA Anderson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 09:18
Hi and congrats on your admits!

Looking at the MBB and Consulting numbers and recruiting, it does seem that Anderson has more clout over KF. I guess they have worked hard to get MBB on campus recruiting. I see all 3 listing Anderson and only 2 listing KF on their websites. However, keep in mind that MBB is very competitive and you will be competing with other Top 20 school applicants for the overall spots and with your classmates for the local spots. There is a lot of speculation about earmarking spots for particular schools vs. overall pool and it is hard to tell but i believe each consulting company hires at least some folks from each school. However, you are probably looking at 5-10 spots for the Anderson allotment, and that's tough for a class of 350.

Internships seem to be even less scarce and an MBB internship is quite hard to get selected for. I am not saying you picked the wrong industry - not at all, just that it is a very competitive industry.

PS. As to moving offices with MBB, you can definitely do it at any level, esp if you are moving to an office that is "less" desirable - they are always happy to have people there, even internationally. However, your comp will get adjusted based on that office pay (up or down) and if you move from the LA office to Atlanta for example, your pay likely will get reduced, that is assuming you can force yourself to leave Hotel California and its perfect weather and warm sunshine.

P.S. In most cases, I would favor Anderson in this choice - it is a better-ranked school with a larger student body and unless you hate LA for some reason, I feel it would be a new experience living on the west coast vs. UNC.... that said if you are looking to head back to the South to be close to the family, which is important once you start having kids or aging parents, and esp if you are gone 5 days a week and your wife is stuck with a newborn, it is helpful to have aunts, sisters, uncles, and grandpa's around.... and UNC likely has a strong local network since I can't see lots of Anderson alums moving to South. If you want to know the exact number - it was 2! people last year that reported moving to the South region of the US.
B
Re: UNC KF vs UCLA Anderson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 09:34
Decisionsarehard wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you for all your help through the application process and especially the GMAT prep (700).

I was luckily accepted to two great programs in UNC KF and UCLA Anderson. My goal post-MBA is either IB/Consulting (MBB, Deloitte if possible).
I am working towards narrowing down my industry focus to one since I understand they share the same recruitment cycles and am currently learning towards consulting.

My wife and I are from the South, so we would most likely like to end up there long-term, but my understanding is that with IB/Consulting you can always move offices one day if you are a high performer (who knows, we might love CA and stay there). Based on research, it seems that Anderson would be the best fit for consulting and maybe even IB (we do not want to end up in NY) due to superior MBB, Deloitte placement.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your admit and all the very best! :)
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 12:16
Given your desire to possibly remain in the south, I would pick UNC. From their class of 2019, 7-8 people got a summer internship at McKinsey and 1-2 at BCG, and 1-2 at Bain. Bain seems to be struggling a bit at UNC does have a very good pipeline to McKinsey. I know of a few who received full-time offers as well. Deloitte hired 10-11 interns and recruiting remains high for Deloitte. Keep in mind that Anderson does have a much bigger class which similar placement numbers so the percentage at UNC is actually a bit higher, so I am not sure if UCLA's "clout" over UNC is that much. Again, this is speaking from raw numbers. In terms of finance, UNC has an excellent IB placement in Charlotte and a decent one in NYC
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2019, 08:31
I'm going to earn a bad reputation for defending UNC as a Dukie, but I think it makes the most sense here given your goals. All things equal, UCLA has a slight edge, but all things are not equal here. The biggest benefit of your MBA is the network and the deepest and most influential in network in the Southeast will be the KF one.

As far as expectations go, I know MBB has been rumored to employ a "soft" cutoff of 720 GMAT. That doesn't rule you out, but it means that from a quick screen approach you may already be a step behind. From that perspective, I don't think UCLA would give you a leg up at all. If you know that going in, you may find it easier to focus on the other consulting options which will be plentiful at either program.

If IB is an option, I'd put these schools on equal footing. However, the caveat is that Anderson sends nearly all IB associates to the LA offices. If your aversion is to the cost of living/commuting nightmare of NYC...I can tell you from firsthand experience that this is not improved in LA (minus the sun!). UNC has a strong pipeline to Charlotte and one-offs like Suntrust in Atlanta or Harris Williams in Richmond. Houston is on the table as well.

In conclusion, you have two great options, but given the likely desire to return to the Southeast, and the realistic prospects of MBB, I don't think UCLA offers you a better chance and makes the "second move" to a more long-term destination a likely obstacle post-grad. Congrats and good luck!
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 08:20
I’d agree with UNC as a strong contender here. UCLA isn’t head and shoulders better plus the UNC network in the east will be much stronger. One of the really underrated aspects of UNC is that their grads really go everywhere. If you look at their employment report their geographic distribution as well as Industry distribution is really good which I think people often overlook. Good luck with your decision - two great MBA programs!

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 10:21
Decisionsarehard wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hello Decisionsarehard

Seems like you created your nickname for purpose of this question :)

First congrats on admission :thumbup:

I would agree with your research and would pick UCLA :cool:

More MBA graduates from UCLA goes to consulting vs. UNC :

https://poetsandquants.com/2018/09/07/t ... ndustry/2/

Not to mention that UCLA is always better ranked by any credible source :

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2019

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

Sometimes really significantly :

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full ... ba-ranking

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... lobal/2019

Good Luck on the West Coast adventure :cool:
GMAT Club Bot