It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Under a provision of the Constitution that was never

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Under a provision of the Constitution that was never [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2011, 02:44
vscid wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it by the legislatures of two-thirds of the states.

A. was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it

B. was never applied, there has been a requirement that Congress call a convention for consideration of possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

C. was never applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

D. has never been applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

E. has never been applied. Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

Why E is better than D?

Seems like the OA is E. My question is, why is past perfect preferred to simple past?

We use present perfect to refer to something that happened in the past but still relevant to present. Because the second part in all choices indicates the present tense, it implies that not-applicability-of-the-provision still holds good now and hence we need to use present perfect.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2011, 03:17
fieldsrd wrote:
RohitKalla wrote:
Q. Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied,Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it by the legislatures of two-thirds of the states.

(A) was never applied,Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it

(B) was never applied,there has been a requirement that Congress call a convention for consideration of possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

(C) was never applied,whereby Congress is required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

(D) has never been applied,whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

(E) has never been applied,Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

Please explain.

A, B and C are out because it should be "has never been applied". Between D and E, D is out because "whereby" is awkward. That leaves E.

D is eliminated not because it is awkward (when there is no better alternative available, in terms of grammar, completeness, etc., awkwardness is acceptable). The thing is D, by using 'whereby', makes the whole sentence incomplete and E makes a complete sentence.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2011, 06:54
A,B, and C: wrong tense uses. Between D and E, E sounds lot better.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2012, 23:03
Has been is the wrong tense,hence chose E.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 07:14
goalsnr wrote:
Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it by the legislatures of two-thirds of the states.

A. was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it

B. was never applied, there has been a requirement that Congress call a convention for consideration of possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

C. was never applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally

D. has never been applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

E. has never been applied. Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so

Why E is better than D?

Choce D is wrong because it does not have any independent clause. Whereby means "in which".

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2014, 05:13
Can anyone explain why "was never applied" is wrong in A , B & C?

Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2014, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TARGET730 wrote:

"was never applied" is wrong because it's an incorrect tense. Using the past tense implies that the provision can't be applied anymore because it or the constitution doesn't exist anymore. The provision still exists and the Constitution that still stands, so the provision could still be applied. We need to used the present perfect tense "has never been applied" to suggest a beginning in the past but effects that are still ongoing.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
goalsnr wrote:

Why E is better than D?

D is wrong because in D , there is no Main clause .D does not make a complete sentence.

Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied has never been applied= Dependent clause
whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so= Dependent clause

Whereby = in which

Ony E clears this sentence fragmentation and also other errors.

E is a complete sentence.
Under a provision of the Constitution that was never applied has never been applied= Dependent clause
Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so= Main clause...

( page 239 and 303 of verbal review 2nd edition.)

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 23:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 06:28
SPLIT1) AFTER THE COMMA"," WHEN YOU SEE A MODIFYING PHRASE YOU NEED TO PUT THE WORD IT MODIFIES AFTER THE COMMA. B,C,D. "WHEREBY" IS REDUNDANT TOO.

SPLIT 2) IN OPTION A, "WAS NEVER APPLIED" IS WRONG BECAUSE THE PROVISION HAPPENED IN THE PAST BUT IT IS RELEVANT TO PRESENT, THEREFORE YOU NEED THE PRESENT PERFECT "HAS NEVER BEEN APPLIED". A IS OUT.

SPLIT3) THE WORD "IT" CANNOT REFER TO ACTION, IT MUST REFERE TO A NOUN. THE WORD "IT" IS UNCLEAR AT BEST. A IS OUT.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 01:53

A. was never applied, Congress has been required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do it - Pronoun it has no noun referent . Verb tense was never applied is incorrect here

B. was never applied, there has been a requirement that Congress call a convention for consideration of possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally - - Pronoun it has no noun referent . Verb tense was never applied is incorrect here

C. was never applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document when asked to do it formally - - Pronoun it has no noun referent .Verb tense was never applied is incorrect here ; usage of whereby creates a sentence fragment

D. has never been applied, whereby Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so - usage of whereby creates a sentence fragment

E. has never been applied, Congress is required to call a convention to consider possible amendments to the document when formally asked to do so - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 02:41
KyleWiddison wrote:
TARGET730 wrote:

"was never applied" is wrong because it's an incorrect tense. Using the past tense implies that the provision can't be applied anymore because it or the constitution doesn't exist anymore. The provision still exists and the Constitution that still stands, so the provision could still be applied. We need to used the present perfect tense "has never been applied" to suggest a beginning in the past but effects that are still ongoing.

KW

I think simple past tense can not go with "never". so, "was never applied" itself. we do not need to analyse the meaning relation of this part to the rest of the sentence.

am i correct? can you give your idea on my thinking

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 06:43
victory47 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
TARGET730 wrote:

KW

I think simple past tense can not go with "never". so, "was never applied" itself. we do not need to analyse the meaning relation of this part to the rest of the sentence.

am i correct? can you give your idea on my thinking

"Never" can be used with simple past. Consider the following sentence:

I did not go there ever. .. correct

The above sentence can be written as:
I never went there. (not ever = never, did go = went) ... correct
Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 04:52

‘that’ refers to provision and its verb is ‘was never applied’.

Congress has been required
To call a convention for considering possible amendments to the document
When formally asked to do it

Present perfect ‘has been’ is used when a time of action is not defined or to show continuing action or effect. It is also used when words such as ‘since’ and ‘within’ are present in time context.
Usage of ‘has been’ is not correct here.

Other error is: call a convention ‘TO’ consider. The usage of ‘to’ here shows purpose or intention.

E is the correct answer.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 08:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 23:50
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Re: Under a provision of the Constitution that was never   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 23:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Under a provision of the Constitution that was never

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap