Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [17]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: Underdog comeback - 720 - Q50/V37/IR 5/AWA 4 [#permalink]
pepo, hi.

For fundamentals, Magoosh´s videos (not the exercises) were very helpful along with the GMAT Club Math book. Every time I faced a new concept, for example how to solve |x+2|>3, I´d go to purplemath.com and search it there to see if I could find anything.
But to be honest with you, the main difference for me, once the basics were through, was GMAT Club CAT (not GMATPrep CAT, as these should be saved for your last weeks of preparation). Do not even check the scores (in my first GC CAT I got Q25) but do go over every single question regardless whether you got that right or wrong (you will take at least 1 hour to go over the entire test) and make an Excel spreadsheet with everything new to you so you can take it with you (on your mobile) and go over it every week (it wasn´t easy for me, I got to tell you that - my spreadhseet had 200 lines, but that´s because I had a lot of gaps).

GMATClub CATs tests several concepts in different question formats so it was easier for me to remember. Do you know what sort of questions are the toughest for you? In my case, I couldn´t solve any of the distance, rate (job),mixture, overlap or weighted average questions - I then searched the forum to understand the idea (not how to solve the problem, but what is really behind the question) and solved enough questions until I was no longer afraid of them (really, afraid!). If you have to contact people over here to understand a specific concept, don´t be shy.

In my case (may not be yours though) even after solving 30 GMAT Club CATs I was getting 44~45 on GMATPrep CAT. That´s when I decided to contact a tutor (Ian Stewart) and only then I was able to push my scores to Q47 then to Q49 and finally to Q50 on the real test.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
michaelyb thanks a lot for the speedy reply.

So, resuming, after I take a CAT I go over the wrong questions and identify the subject tested. After that, I try to solve as much as questions as possibile in order to familiarize with the topic. Is that right?

Here comes another question: What do I do if my biggest problem is pacing? I am pretty much able to solve every kind of question (from 500 to 700 level), but when I take the CAT I can barely solve just basic questions....

Thanks again for your patience!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pepo

Can you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean by pacing problem? You know your stuff but take longer than 2 min? Or make careless mistakes? Maybe you have a hard time focusing? Can you share a couple of examples from questions in OG or from questions posted in this forum, so I can have a better idea? (If you have an example from OG, just tell me the number of the question so you don´t have any copyright issues, I can check the question in my book).

Let me give you an example: How many distinct positive divisors does 441 have? How would you proceed to answer this question? (don´t just answer it, but try to explain your thought process, if possible)

Best,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
michaelyb wrote:
pepo

Can you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean by pacing problem? You know your stuff but take longer than 2 min? Or make careless mistakes? Maybe you have a hard time focusing? Can you share a couple of examples from questions in OG or from questions posted in this forum, so I can have a better idea? (If you have an example from OG, just tell me the number of the question so you don´t have any copyright issues, I can check the question in my book).

Let me give you an example: How many distinct positive divisors does 441 have? How would you proceed to answer this question? (don´t just answer it, but try to explain your thought process, if possible)

Best,

Ok, I answer your questions:
1) I have a problem with time when I take CAT. I can respond correct the first 8-10 questions, but then, I have to rush because I spend too much time on the first questions.
For this reason I try to go fast from question 1 in order to finish the CAT on time. I tired once to respond questions taking my time and guessing the questions left before time was over but I got a miserable score.

2) About the excercise, I would proceed in the following way: a) Factor 441; b) the factors are: 1, 3, 7, 9, 147, 63, 59; c) the answer is 7.

regardless if the quetion is right or not, this is the way how I work. Hope can give you some helps :)

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pepo

How about 21? Or 441 itself? You forgot to consider them...
The way to solve this question (which is relatively easy) is as follows:
1) Prime factorize it into: 7^2 * 3^2
2) Take the powers of each prime and add one. So on top of 7 we have the power of 2, which becomes 3. The power on top of 3 is also 2 (coincidently though), which also becomes 3.
3) Multiply altogether: 3x3=9. That´s the solution.

I think you need to learn the techniques that GMAT requires you to know. Otherwise you will indeed run out of time. The concept above is both on the GMATClub Math book (page 4) and in several GMAT Club CATs. And it is tested on GMAT. I think you understand the questions but you may have some work to do to get to the next level.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
michaelyb wrote:
pepo

How about 21? Or 441 itself? You forgot to consider them...
The way to solve this question (which is relatively easy) is as follows:
1) Prime factorize it into: 7^2 * 3^2
2) Take the powers of each prime and add one. So on top of 7 we have the power of 2, which becomes 3. The power on top of 3 is also 2 (coincidently though), which also becomes 3.
3) Multiply altogether: 3x3=9. That´s the solution.

I think you need to learn the techniques that GMAT requires you to know. Otherwise you will indeed run out of time. The concept above is both on the GMATClub Math book (page 4) and in several GMAT Club CATs. And it is tested on GMAT. I think you understand the questions but you may have some work to do to get to the next level.

Ok, assuming that I find this question on CAT and I get it wrong, is right if I write it on the excel spreadsheet and then I cover the argument in order to improve my knowledge of the topic?
after having done this, do I take another CAT, right?

Thanks a million!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pepo

In your particular case, I think GMAT Club CATs will help you the most. Your action of creating an error log with the concepts and techniques is correct. But you should not take any Official CAT before you are sure all concepts and techniques have been covered and are quickly accessible in your memory. I strongly suggest getting the GC CATs and keep on going every question again and again and again. Once you are able to score Q48~Q50 on them, you can try a GMATPrep CAT and see where you are at. Otherwise you will just waste valuable resources without getting all the return you could get.

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
michaelyb thanks a lot for your advice! I will do it for sure and will increase my score! thanks!!!! ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Underdog comeback - 720 - Q50/V37/IR 5/AWA 4 [#permalink]
Hey, great post. Kudos to your determination and unremitting search to advance your knowledge and career. I read your advice to pepo and thought I should chime in with my 2 cents. While GMAT club CATs are most definitely excellent study sources, they may not be the most ideal for pepo at this stage. For my first GMAT take, I made the mistake of assuming that my advanced Quant background justified a quick skim of the basics and straight on to the advanced questions on GMAT club. Not recommended, since the outcome for me was - great at the hard questions but shaky on the easy to medium level questions. Magoosh really helped to drive in those basic skills such as the 'exponents of the prime factors' strategy which you just explained. And quite frankly, that's the best prep in order to take on the more advanced GMAT prep questions. Pepo should focus on the basics before diving into the GMAT club CATs... And I highly recommended Magoosh.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Every set-back, is a set-up, for a comeback. It's great to see that all your hard work and determination paid off in the end. Wish you all the best on your future endeavors!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts