Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2332 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

The point of this sentence is to contrast how people feel about their computer skills or other technical skills with how they feel about their analytical skills. However, the awkward, wordy construction that begins with there is confuses this comparison, so that computer skills… are illogically contrasted with disinclination. Making the sentence more concise allows the contrast to be clear.

Option A: An awkward, wordy construction prevents clarity of meaning; the comparison of computer skills… to disinclination is illogical

Option B: Computer skills or other technical skills are illogically compared to many people

Option C: The construction skills bring out a disinclination in many people is wordy, awkward, and idiomatically incorrect

Option D: Correct. Making people the subject of the sentence allows a construction that clearly contrasts how they feel about the two sets of skills.

Option E: Have a disinclination is wordy (the verb disinclined is preferred) and, when followed by while willing, creates an incomplete construction

The correct answer is D.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Re: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]
vivektripathi wrote:
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak

(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak

Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, AndrewN, BrightOutlookJenn
It seems that the highlighted part keeps the essential info, but it is kept with set of comma as non-essential modifier! May I know the actual reason behind it, please?
Re: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
vivektripathi wrote:
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak

(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak

Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, AndrewN, BrightOutlookJenn
It seems that the highlighted part keeps the essential info, but it is kept with set of comma as non-essential modifier! May I know the actual reason behind it, please?

Hello, TheUltimateWinner. There may be no reason other than a stylistic one to explain why the sentence is expressed in the manner above. It could just as easily have adopted a who clause, with or without commas:

1) Many people who are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

2) Many people, who are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

In the first sentence, we understand that the author means to single out a subset of people; in the second, we are just getting additional information about some people. It all depends on how the author of the sentence wants the reader to view the attached description of many people.

I wish there were a firm grammar-based reason I could offer, but this one could go either way. Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew

AndrewN
Thanks for the feedback.
Actually, I've asked that question because so far we know that 'essential modifier' can't be kept between COMMA.

One more thing is that COMMA+VerbING is used to modify the whole clause preceding it, but there is no clause (just many people) before COMMA+VerbING, unfortunately. Can you share your thought, please?

One more thing:
In choice D, 'willing' is modifying 'many people', right? But, we know that 'willing' should modify 'many people' if there is no COMMA between them!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
AndrewN
Thanks for the feedback.
Actually, I've asked that question because so far we know that 'essential modifier' can't be kept between COMMA.

One more thing is that COMMA+VerbING is used to modify the whole clause preceding it, but there is no clause (just many people) before COMMA+VerbING, unfortunately. Can you share your thought, please?

One more thing:
In choice D, 'willing' is modifying 'many people', right? But, we know that 'willing' should modify 'many people' if there is no COMMA between them!

I think you are getting too caught up in your grammar rules, TheUltimateWinner. The placement of a phrase is quite flexible. Consider any of the following valid sentences:

1) Running low on fuel, the car began to putter.

2) The car, running low on fuel, began to putter.

3) The car began to putter, running low on fuel.

It does not really matter whether the phrase interrupts the main clause or comes before or after. As long as the sentence conveys a clear meaning, that is all we are after.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

I would like to highlight the same what TheUltimateWinner has mentioned.

Verb+ing modifiier when placed in between the subject and verb or when placed after the entire clause modifies the entire clause and either shows "the result" or explains "the how aspect" of the clause.

And in the example quoted before,
Running low on fuel, the car began to putter.

Verb+ing modifier is placed before the subject and the verb, and, hence, it modifies the subject of the clause and not the entire clause.

Whereas in sentence 2 and 3, the verb+ing modifier should modify the entire clause.

Choice D: Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.
In this choice, the verb+ing modifier (willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills) should modify the complete clause whereas as per the explanation it should modify just the subject, which I think is incorrect.

Please shed some light on this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the response AndrewN

I chose choice E as I was unable to decipher that the "while" here means "simultaneous action" and not "contrast". I am not sure why it didn't strike in my mind and am still unclear (I felt that it correctly presents the contrast). Am I missing something?

Reworded version of choice E as mentioned in this thread:
Many people are disinclined to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills, while they are willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills

I think that here "while" clearly conveys the contrast compared to what is mentioned in original choice E.

My doubt is: Is the repetition of (Many people are.......they are) needed to clearly convey the contrast? Or can we construct the sentence in some other way avoiding the repetition but still conveying the contrast?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak - wrong comparison

(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. - no referent to they

(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree - wordy

(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak - Correct

(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical - Changes meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM

Test Points: Comparison & The meaning of the scentence

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak (incorrectly compare computer skills and technical skills to disinclination)

(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak ("They" is not a proper pronoun, it also makes the scentence awkward)

(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree ("... they are weak to degree" makes the scentence awkward)

(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical (it does not convey the intended meaning)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
thereisaFire wrote:
Thanks for the response AndrewN

I chose choice E as I was unable to decipher that the "while" here means "simultaneous action" and not "contrast". I am not sure why it didn't strike in my mind and am still unclear (I felt that it correctly presents the contrast). Am I missing something?

Reworded version of choice E as mentioned in this thread:
Many people are disinclined to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills, while they are willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills

I think that here "while" clearly conveys the contrast compared to what is mentioned in original choice E.

My doubt is: Is the repetition of (Many people are.......they are) needed to clearly convey the contrast? Or can we construct the sentence in some other way avoiding the repetition but still conveying the contrast?

Hello again, thereisaFire. Now we have something to work with. There are ways to convey a contrast without repeating a reference to people, but of course, such an option is not present among the answer choices. The following sentence, for example, would omit such a repetition and also fit a tight parallelism.

Many people are disinclined to recognize X but are willing to admit Y.

If we look to truncate answer choice (E) to express it in a similar way, it does appear a bit off. First, the answer choice:

Quote:
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical

Now, the more concise version:

Many people have a disinclination to recognize X while willing to admit Y.

Yes, this while is problematic, since we cannot tell how to interpret it. If it should be used to signal a contrast, as in although, then we want to move it to an earlier position in the sentence:

[While willing...] many people have... OR
Many people, while willing...

Even if you add they are or something similar to the end of the answer choice, it is still unclear whether while means to convey a simultaneous occurrence or a contrast:

Many people have a disinclination to recognize X while [they are] willing to admit Y.

The best we could do to get the sentence closer to expressing a contrast is to add a comma after X, but even then, although would work much better than while. What it comes down to, really, is that when you are working with an iteration of a sentence that you are more comfortable mulling over, if you feel as though you are kind of bending over backwards to make it work, it is probably incorrect. The less resistance you find, the better.

I hope that helps. Thank you for following up.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

https://gmatclub.com/forum/recently-implemented-shift-work-equations-based-on-studies-of-the-hu-79239.html#p595875

I found this Official question that uses "while" without "preceding by a comma".

I want to know whether we can eliminate the choice E on the basis of any other criteria because the OG question mentioned above shows that "while without preceding by a comma" can convey the intended contrast.

Open to hear your thoughts on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
himanshujovi wrote:
In option D - isn't
Quote:
,willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills
enclosed within comma making it non essential and thus changing the meaning drastically. E might be verbose but it is ensuring the logical meaning IMO. From D , I gather that the portion between the comma can be removed and this will change the meaning

Actually willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills is not really used as a classical non-essential. So, we should read it as:

Willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

Also, this kind of structure is quite common. An example that comes to mind:

#25, OG13:

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

How could I know, if it should be treated as non-essential modifier or other thing ? becauseI ruled out D for that same reason
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vivektripathi wrote:

(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak

(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree

(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills.

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.
• Information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase "computer skills or other technical skills" to the clause "there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A uses the passive and needlessly indirect constructions "there is a disinclination on the part of many people" and "the degree to which their analytical skills are weak", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "computer skills or other technical skills" to "many people"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option B incorrectly places information important to the core meaning of the sentence - the fact that many people are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills - between two commas; please remember, information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.

C: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "recognize that they are weak to a degree"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that analytical skills make many people disinclined to recognize that they - the people - are weak; the intended meaning is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. Further, Option C uses the needlessly indirect clause "analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrases "recognize that their analytical skills are weak" and "willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills", conveying the intended meaning - that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence. Further, Option D avoids the comparison errors seen in Options A and B, as it makes no comparisons. Additionally, Option D only places extra information - the fact that the people are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills - between commas. Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical"; the use of "while" incorrectly implies that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, at the time when they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; the intended meaning is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence. Further, Option E uses the passive and needlessly wordy phrase "Many people have a disinclination to recognize", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Extra Information between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Dear ExpertsGlobal5, mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, sayantanc2k, KarishmaB
In option D, if we remove the extra informations between the two commas, we get :Many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. Ths sentence is correct gramaticaly, but doesn't convey the intended meaning. thus, we should not plase that " essantial information" between two commas
Personnaly I eliminated option D because of this reason,
Can you please shed light on this point
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vivektripathi wrote:

(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak

(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills.

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.
• Information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase "computer skills or other technical skills" to the clause "there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A uses the passive and needlessly indirect constructions "there is a disinclination on the part of many people" and "the degree to which their analytical skills are weak", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "computer skills or other technical skills" to "many people"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option B incorrectly places information important to the core meaning of the sentence - the fact that many people are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills - between two commas; please remember, information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence can never be placed between commas.

C: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "recognize that they are weak to a degree"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that analytical skills make many people disinclined to recognize that they - the people - are weak; the intended meaning is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. Further, Option C uses the needlessly indirect clause "analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrases "recognize that their analytical skills are weak" and "willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills", conveying the intended meaning - that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence. Further, Option D avoids the comparison errors seen in Options A and B, as it makes no comparisons. Additionally, Option D only places extra information - the fact that the people are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills - between commas. Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical"; the use of "while" incorrectly implies that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, at the time when they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; the intended meaning is that many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, although they are willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills; remember, "while" is used to convey a sense of concurrence. Further, Option E uses the passive and needlessly wordy phrase "Many people have a disinclination to recognize", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Extra Information between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Dear ExpertsGlobal5, mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, sayantanc2k, KarishmaB
In option D, if we remove the extra informations between the two commas, we get :Many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. Ths sentence is correct gramaticaly, but doesn't convey the intended meaning. thus, we should not plase that " essantial information" between two commas
Personnaly I eliminated option D because of this reason,
Can you please shed light on this point
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts