Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [153]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [15]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [11]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [9]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached [#permalink]
Kudos
amazing question. i fell for E. 'unlike conventional thinking' with 'current wisdom' got me in the trap so much so that I didn't even look at the rest of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached [#permalink]
Kudos
On first look E seemed to be correct.Then after a careful reading of D and E,I decided to go with D,mainly because of the modifier issue with E.
A,B,C are obviously violating parallelism.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [6]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
E. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, current wisdom spearheaded by Archeologist Seymour revealed that the tribals had reached the spot at least 200 years earlier, basing the proposal on the storage platforms built in where the early tribesman of Apache lived in rock shelters

We do not require 'had' before 'reached' as we are explicitly mentioning 'after' + noun phase 'the spanish invasion'.
'Current' should follow present tense, not past - 'revealed' .
'had' in 'the tribals had reached' is also wrong as there is no 2nd action.
modifier 'basing..' is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [3]
Given Kudos: 1474
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys , I understand the issue with E but, isnt the contrast between conventional thinking and Archeologist Seymour incorrect in D? Please help
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
pre-dated and earlier - somehow redundant if not separated by a comma. otherwise D looks better than the rest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I understood modifier error in E. But i rejected D because it says dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century and intended meaning of the sentence says platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought an not that stint happened 200 years before Spanish invasion. Seems like this option changed the intended meaning.

Can somebody please explain.

Pranav
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [7]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pranav6082 wrote:
I understood modifier error in E. But i rejected D because it says dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century and intended meaning of the sentence says platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought an not that stint happened 200 years before Spanish invasion. Seems like this option changed the intended meaning.

Can somebody please explain.

Pranav

Yes, there is a change in meaning. However please note that if there is only one grammatically correct sentence, one has to select that one, even though it may deviate in meaning from the original sentence. In no official guide is it stated that the original sentence conveys the intended meaning.

However if there are two grammatically correct sentences among the options, then one must select the one that matches with the meaning conveyed by the original sentence (if the original sentence conveys a logical meaning).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century.

Hi, I have two questions, first of all answers A. and C. are exactly the same word by word, is this okay?

Also, and more importantly I fell for answer E., which used the Unlike modifier in a correct way, I now know that in the second part of that answer the "basing the proposal" modifier is not clearly modifying the correct thing, but I rejected answer D. because I saw that the underlined part kind of made no grammatical sense.

Could someone please explain to me why "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century" is correct? For me it is grammatically incorrect, shouldn't it be something more like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest which took place in the sixteenth century" or like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest in the sixteenth century"?

Thank you very much for your help!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adrianmoral wrote:
daagh wrote:
Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century.

Hi, I have two questions, first of all answers A. and C. are exactly the same word by word, is this okay?

Also, and more importantly I fell for answer E., which used the Unlike modifier in a correct way, I now know that in the second part of that answer the "basing the proposal" modifier is not clearly modifying the correct thing, but I rejected answer D. because I saw that the underlined part kind of made no grammatical sense.

Could someone please explain to me why "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century" is correct? For me it is grammatically incorrect, shouldn't it be something more like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest which took place in the sixteenth century" or like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest in the sixteenth century"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Your second question:-

Compare the following:

I came 20 minutes earlier than you came.
Platforms pre-dated 200 years earlier than the invasion took place.

Do you see now why D is structurally alright?

Nonetheless I see a slight redundancy issue in using "pre-dated" and "earlier" together.

Your first question:-
This seems to be typographical error and unintentional.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
maggie27 wrote:
Hey guys , I understand the issue with E but, isnt the contrast between conventional thinking and Archeologist Seymour incorrect in D? Please help

A prepositional phrase may be used as a noun modifier (like an adjective) OR a verb modifier (like an adverb). Here "in contrast to conventional wisdom" refers to the verb "revealed", not the noun "Archeologist Seymour".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
daagh, hello, the question is really hard and interesting. Do you know the source of the question? I worry about this question much.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Kudos