It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7891 [5], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (01:47) correct 72% (03:11) wrong based on 1026 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

A. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought. –

B. Unlike conventional thinking, early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

C. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century. ---

E. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, current wisdom spearheaded by Archeologist Seymour revealed that the tribals had reached the spot at least 200 years earlier, basing the proposal on the storage platforms built in where the early tribesman of Apache lived in rock shelters

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
A. Improper modification; what should follow conventional thinking is some other kind of thinking and not the Architect.

B.This is an awful sentence. First, the modification is imporper as in A. Second, The meaning is changed without the relative pronoun ‘that’. Third, this is a blatant run-on sentence.

C. Modification problem as in A and B. Secondly the choice talks of some storage platforms, where the tribals lived. Nobody lives in storage platforms.

D. Concise and clear--- Correct choice.

E.Misplaced modifier; It is not clear what the modifier ‘basing the proposal on’ is trying to modify. It should modify thee archeologist. Here it seems to modify the tribals’ arrival time.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7891 [5], given: 363

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [2], given: 83

Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
amazing question. i fell for E. 'unlike conventional thinking' with 'current wisdom' got me in the trap so much so that I didn't even look at the rest of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 48 [2], given: 83

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 12:48
Hey guys , I understand the issue with E but, isnt the contrast between conventional thinking and Archeologist Seymour incorrect in D? Please help

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 357

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 10:14
Can someone please explain how D is the correct option?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 357

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 06:38
Can anybody advice , why D is the correct answer? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 21:08
pre-dated and earlier - somehow redundant if not separated by a comma. otherwise D looks better than the rest.

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 184

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 23:38
practice realizing meaning/logic error because this is important. alway look for a meaning error because structural mechanical grammar error will jump at you

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [2], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
Since Unlike compares noun phrase to noun phrase , Only option D and E remains

Since Question has Unlike in it,
(E) is having a modifier error.
It implies,The current wisdom , which is the subject of the second part, was basing the proposal on platform. That is not sounding good.

(D) remains and qualifies for the answer

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 41 [2], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 02:57
maggie27 wrote:
Hey guys , I understand the issue with E but, isnt the contrast between conventional thinking and Archeologist Seymour incorrect in D? Please help

I have the same question
Anyone help?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 05:03
daagh wrote:
Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

A. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought. –

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE for A
A. Improper modification; what should follow conventional thinking is some other kind of thinking and not the Architect.

B. Unlike conventional thinking, early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE for B
B.This is an awful sentence. First, the modification is imporper as in A. Second, The meaning is changed without the relative pronoun ‘that’. Third, this is a blatant run-on sentence.

C. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE for C
C. Modification problem as in A and B. Secondly the choice talks of some storage platforms, where the tribals lived. Nobody lives in storage platforms.

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century. ---

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE for D
D. Concise and clear--- Correct choice.

E. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, current wisdom spearheaded by Archeologist Seymour revealed that the tribals had reached the spot at least 200 years earlier, basing the proposal on the storage platforms built in where the early tribesman of Apache lived in rock shelters

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE for E
E.Misplaced modifier; It is not clear what the modifier ‘basing the proposal on’ is trying to modify. It should modify thee archeologist. Here it seems to modify the tribals’ arrival time.

Hidaagh is past perfect tense (tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century) correct??
i think it is wrong as they reached after invasion so this means reaching was second event.
correct me if i'm wrong

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 194

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 37

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 20:44
I understood modifier error in E. But i rejected D because it says dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century and intended meaning of the sentence says platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought an not that stint happened 200 years before Spanish invasion. Seems like this option changed the intended meaning.

Can somebody please explain.

Pranav

What gets measured, gets managed

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3292 [3], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pranav6082 wrote:
I understood modifier error in E. But i rejected D because it says dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century and intended meaning of the sentence says platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought an not that stint happened 200 years before Spanish invasion. Seems like this option changed the intended meaning.

Pranav

Yes, there is a change in meaning. However please note that if there is only one grammatically correct sentence, one has to select that one, even though it may deviate in meaning from the original sentence. In no official guide is it stated that the original sentence conveys the intended meaning.

However if there are two grammatically correct sentences among the options, then one must select the one that matches with the meaning conveyed by the original sentence (if the original sentence conveys a logical meaning).

Kudos [?]: 3292 [3], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.28

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 18:25
daagh wrote:

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century.

Hi, I have two questions, first of all answers A. and C. are exactly the same word by word, is this okay?

Also, and more importantly I fell for answer E., which used the Unlike modifier in a correct way, I now know that in the second part of that answer the "basing the proposal" modifier is not clearly modifying the correct thing, but I rejected answer D. because I saw that the underlined part kind of made no grammatical sense.

Could someone please explain to me why "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century" is correct? For me it is grammatically incorrect, shouldn't it be something more like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest which took place in the sixteenth century" or like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest in the sixteenth century"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3292 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adrianmoral wrote:
daagh wrote:

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century.

Hi, I have two questions, first of all answers A. and C. are exactly the same word by word, is this okay?

Also, and more importantly I fell for answer E., which used the Unlike modifier in a correct way, I now know that in the second part of that answer the "basing the proposal" modifier is not clearly modifying the correct thing, but I rejected answer D. because I saw that the underlined part kind of made no grammatical sense.

Could someone please explain to me why "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century" is correct? For me it is grammatically incorrect, shouldn't it be something more like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest which took place in the sixteenth century" or like "than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest in the sixteenth century"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Your second question:-

Compare the following:

I came 20 minutes earlier than you came.
Platforms pre-dated 200 years earlier than the invasion took place.

Do you see now why D is structurally alright?

Nonetheless I see a slight redundancy issue in using "pre-dated" and "earlier" together.

Your first question:-
This seems to be typographical error and unintentional.

Kudos [?]: 3292 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.28

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 17:42
sayantanc2k, thank you very much for your reply, I guess it just sounded weird being such a long sentence, I think now that I repeated it in my head over and over it makes a lot more sense.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 61

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 08:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
pranav6082 wrote:

Pranav

Yes, there is a change in meaning. However please note that if there is only one grammatically correct sentence, one has to select that one, even though it may deviate in meaning from the original sentence. In no official guide is it stated that the original sentence conveys the intended meaning.

However if there are two grammatically correct sentences among the options, then one must select the one that matches with the meaning conveyed by the original sentence (if the original sentence conveys a logical meaning).

Hi sayantanc2k,

Why is A wrong?

Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 61

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 15:40
how "as per contemporary studies" is correct?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 04:28
maggie27 wrote:

Can any expert respond to this please?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 04:28

Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap