Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [10]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: BBA, Finance
 Q39  V21 GMAT 2: 640  Q45  V33
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1249 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Unlike George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, [#permalink]
Kudos
This sentence presents a contrast as indicated by the word – unlike. It states that H.Ross Perot’s independent run for presidency in 1992 arose from a desire to establish a viable third party in American politics. This was not the motive for George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980.

Option A :- This sentence does not establish parallel comparison. The non-underlined portion of the sentence contains element 2 of the comparison – Perot’s independent run for the presidency. Thus, the underlined portion of the sentence should also be the candidacy or independent run of other two people.
Choice B: Parallelism Comparison Error as in Choice A.
Choice C: Parallelism Comparison Error as in Choice A. In addition, “which” is used incorrectly to refer to people.
Choice D: Parallelism Comparison Error as in Choice A.
Choice E: No errors.
Thus, Choice E is the correct answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Unlike George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of whom running as independent candidates, H. Ross Perot’s independent run for presidency in 1992 arose not from an unsuccessful effort to gain a major party nomination but from a desire to establish a viable third party in American politics.

A.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of whom running as independent candidates, -- comparison error ;
B.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, each of whom ran as independent candidates, -- comparison error

C.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of which ran as an independent candidate, -- comparison error ; usage of which to refer to people is incorrect

D.the independent candidates, George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, -- comparison error

E.the independent candidacies of George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, - Correct

Answer E
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Unlike George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of whom running as independent candidates, H. Ross Perot’s independent run for presidency in 1992 arose not from an unsuccessful effort to gain a major party nomination but from a desire to establish a viable third party in American politics.

A.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of whom running as independent candidates, -- comparison error ;
B.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, each of whom ran as independent candidates, -- comparison error

C.George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of which ran as an independent candidate, -- comparison error ; usage of which to refer to people is incorrect

D.the independent candidates, George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, -- comparison error

E.the independent candidacies of George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, - Correct

Answer E

Dear TaN1213,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

It surprises me that this is an official question, because it might be seen as a tad controversial (George Wallace was more controversial than either John Anderson or Ross Perot!) and because it's on the easy side.

Big picture: the second term of the comparison is "H. Ross Perot’s independent run for presidency," i.e. his candidacy. We need to compare candidacy to candidacy, not person to person. (A)-(D) begin with people--they are set up for a person to person comparison, so these all construct an illogical comparison. That's the problem with (A)-(D): they start with people.

The part you highlighted was not connected to this but a further distractor.
A.) George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of whom running as independent candidates,
The relative pronoun "whom," like "who" and "which," open a dependent clause, a full clause, and like any full clause, this needs a full verb, not merely a participle.

B.) George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, each of whom ran as independent candidates,
The highlighted structure is 100% correct, within the larger illogical design of the sentence overall.

C.) George Wallace in 1968 and John Anderson in 1980, both of which ran as an independent candidate,
We cannot refer to human beings with "which"--that sounds too dehumanizing.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts