GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 23:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:01) correct 41% (01:05) wrong based on 338 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 23:56
(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities
Incorrect comparison

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none
Incorrect comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set
"one" aims to refer to "taxes", however, "taxes" is plural so the use of "one" (singular) is incorrect.

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set
Between E (passive voice) & D (active voice), it makes sense to choose D.

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Intern
Intern
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 00:10
Patronus wrote:

However, I wonder whether, while using "Although", the Subject in the Main Clause should be the same as the Subject in the Subordinate Cluase?!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 00:32
Hi pavankarwa123,

Not always.
E.g.: Although it rained, I must see the festival. (Subordinate clause followed by Independent Clause)
So the subject in "although" part is "it"
However, the subject in the independent clause is "I". And the sentence is logically correct.

Also, if I may point out another subtle difference present in choices D & E, which is as follows:

It states that "state or local authorities set taxes" set taxes in an area called "tri-state area"
So something is happening in one area (tri-state area) and it is contrasted with something that is happening in another (in New Jersey).

Converting part of the above sentence from passive to active voice to clearly see the difference.
It states that "state or local authorities in the tri-state area" set taxes but we don't know where do they set it!
E.g.: It is like saying:
"Police from Japan set taxes" but where? In Korea or in America? We need to know where.

And knowing where is extremely essential in drawing a contrast mentioned in the 2nd half of the sentence that states "no such taxes in New Jersey"

Let me know if all this makes sense?

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 00:43
E.

As unlike can only follow by noun or noun phrases.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 01:00
Yes, make sense. Just to clarify, unlike is wrong as can only follow by noun or noun phrases
Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 01:49
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities -Wrong comparison

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none -Wrong comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set -such one? wrong

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set -Correct

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set -SV disagreement

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 06:07
Whats wrong with Option A?

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

How is this option having a wrong comparison?
2 KUDOS received
Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 10:06
Novice90 wrote:
Whats wrong with Option A?

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

How is this option having a wrong comparison?

Hi,

Here there are 2 grave errors:
1. Foremost, "like/unlike" shouldn't be followed by a prepositional phrase. They should be followed by a noun/pronoun.
2. Correct version should have been: Unlike the other states in the tri-state area, New Jersey doesn't have gasoline taxes.

So the sentence is not only making invalid comparison but also having wrong structure.

Hope that helps.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area,   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2018, 10:06

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap