It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 08:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
ritjn2003 wrote:
Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.

A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than
half
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail

in D, rate of businesses is not logic in our real world. D is out

E is correct

It appears that there is a parallelism problem even with the option E:

As usual let us look at the 2 elements of the parallel structure:

Parallelism marker: While X, Y.

element X: more than half of mainstream American businesses fail... subject: more than half of mainstream American businesses
element Y: the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent..... subject: the failure rate

Apparently, american businesses has been compared to failure rate. This kind of structural mismatch is generally considered wrong in GMAT. The question seems to a be a disputed one.

Yes, I am also confused, I feel that people are just trying to prove that the OA is correct.
Can you help us out? AjiteshArun

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 09:27
DIII

It's best option among all the answer choices. Maybe not the perfect one!! By the way best of luck for your exam ....2 days to go!!

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Manager
Manager
S

Premium Member CAT Tests
Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:26
anurag16 wrote:
DIII

It's best option among all the answer choices. Maybe not the perfect one!! By the way best of luck for your exam ....2 days to go!!

Thank you, I know that the answer is the best among worst, but I heard that the answer is 100% correct always. So, this answer changes my approach to while questions, I have a doubt whether unlike and while are different in their function.

GMATNinja what do you think?

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9446 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 12:52
DIII wrote:
Yes, I am also confused, I feel that people are just trying to prove that the OA is correct.
Can you help us out? AjiteshArun

Hello DIII,

I would be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Actually, this official question is brilliantly crafted. It kind of plays a mind game with test takers.

The original sentence starts with the word Unlike. So even before reading the entire sentence we make up our mind to tally the noun following unlike with the main subject.

Needless to say that mainstream American businesses is definitely not logically parallel to the failure rate.

Now since we have started our analysis this way, and we are habitual to see very straight forward comparisons in such sentence ans since, the noun the failure rate falls in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we in our mind conceive that the contrasting word HAS TO BE FOLLOWED by logically comparable entity such as failure rate or rate of failure, etc.

Because of this preconceived notion, it is difficult for us to accept Choice E as the correct answer because while is followed by more than half of mainstream American businesses, a noun very similar to what we saw in Choice A after unlike and hence we rejected that choice.

The thing to note here is that although while presents a contrast, it does NOT have a strict structure as we see in the case of unlike.

It is not mandatory to have the same sort of subjects in two clauses presenting contrast/comparison. Such two clauses must present logical contrast/comparison without any ambiguity. And this is exactly what Choice E does.

It does present the logical contrast in correct grammar. It clearly conveys that while more than half of business A fails, the failure rate of business B is limited.

From meaning point of view there is no issue at all.

Again, if we talk about grammatical structure, then the sentence employs the structure while X, Y in which both X and Y are clauses. So where is the issue?

At e-GMAT, we always emphasize on paying attention to the meaning more than grammar. Such questions drive the same point home with a little more emphasis.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9446 [0], given: 348

Manager
Manager
S

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 17:57
egmat wrote:
The thing to note here is that although while presents a contrast, it does NOT have a strict structure as we see in the case of unlike.

Thanks, the answer makes sense if this is the rule, can you tell me some parallelism markers that follow "unlike" and others that are like "while".
Eg. What does "although", "whereas" etc, need.

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1484

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 16:37
"more than half" in D is not complete -> D is out.

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1484

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1072 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 04:48
Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.

A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail - Comparison issue - business vs rate
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than - Comparison issue - business vs rate
half
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail - Comparison issue - business vs rate ; usage of where is incorrect
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half - businesses failing is not idiomatic ; it's unidiomatic to say that a RATE is "half" (or "more/less than half"). you could say that a rate is 50%, but not "half".
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1072 [0], given: 90

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 09:52

A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail -incorrect comparison
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than
half -incorrect comparison
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail -incorrect comparison
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half -Not a sentence
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail -Correct

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 138

Re: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 09:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap