Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [154]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [8]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ballest127 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja.

I'm still don't understand why B is incorrect.
IMO, B is better than E in that E compares the phrase between "The US no longer has river as ....... " and " the river winds through the middle of the business district." That is , I think in E there is wrong comparison.

Could be please explain why B is incorrect?

Thank you.

Good question! When we use "like" or "unlike" we have to compare nouns or noun phrases.

For example, "Philadelphia, like Boston, is a wonderful city, but it has an inferiority complex." (In case any Philly people are tempted to throw batteries at me: I LOVE Philly, and have family there. But it totally has an inferiority complex.) In this case, we're demonstrating a similarity between two cities, "Philadelphia" and "Boston." That's fine. What I can't do is write, "Philadelphia, like in Boston..." because now I'm demonstrating a similarity between a city and a prepositional phrase, and that would make no sense.

(B) has a similar problem. Here we have "Unlike the river..., in San Antonio," so we're comparing "the river" and the prepositional phrase, "in San Antonio." Even if the sentence said, "Unlike the river, San Antonio...," the construction still would be wrong, since we'd be comparing a river to a city.

Because (E) doesn't contain the word "unlike", we're under no obligation to compare nouns directly. Instead, we're comparing contrasting clauses, as indicated by "but." Because there's a logical contrast in the ideas expressed in each clause -- in most cities rivers aren't a focal point of life, but in San Antonio they are -- this construction is logical.

I hope that helps!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [3]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
Bookmarks
E sounds best. Others have incorrect modifiers / comparisons. Another good question +1.
YihWei wrote:
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Paseo del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 347 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

A - not the best choice. Unlike many cities in US is compared to the river. Invalid comparison
B - Invalid comparison again. Unlike the river in many cities is compared to San Antonio
C - The sentence should have had "in San Antonio" at the end of the sentence.
D - Invalid comparion ("In few United States cities today" compared to "but the river in San Antonio")
E - Best Answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Sentence has comparison and pronoun reference issue

A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio [Comparison between Many United States cities and the river – eliminate it]

B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river [Good one but which is pointing the United States – eliminate it]

C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it [It has referent issue – points to San Antonio / River – eliminate it]

D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio [Changing the meaning of the sentence – eliminate it]

E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river [Hold it]

Answer: E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
MadaraU wrote:
May is ask, what is the subject of "is the city's most popular attraction"
because "The river" already has a verb "winds"

lets take the correct answer and plugin in the stem

No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life--sentence

,but - coordinating conjunction.

in San Antonio the river winds through the middle of the business district--sentence

,and--coordinating conjunction.

the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction--sentence.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio - Incorrect comparison - US cities vs river

(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river - Incorrect comparison - river in San Antonio is preferred ; usage of which to refer to river -- too far away

(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it - Incorrect comparison - river vs city

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio - meaning changes and contrast is lost

(E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river - Correct

Answer E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
"E" is the correct answer

Wrong comparisons in options A, B, and C
D is awkward

Therefore, E has to be the answer, because it contains correct comparison.

Originally posted by vyassaptarashi on 23 Mar 2011, 10:59.
Last edited by vyassaptarashi on 23 Mar 2011, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
the correct answer here is still pretty ugly, so let's criticize the four incorrect choices.

choice a:
faulty comparison:
'unlike many u.s. cities, ... the river in san antonio...' --> can't compare cities to a river

choice b:
comparison isn't so good:
the second part should start directly with 'the river' (instead of 'in san antonio the river...'), so that the comparison is more clear.
much more importantly, poor use of the relative pronoun 'which':
'...cities in the united states, which is no longer the focal point...'
relative pronouns like which, by default, refer to the noun that's closest to the left, which in this case is the united states. therefore, this relative pronoun is used in a way that's either ambiguous (if you allow it to potentially refer to other nouns) or just plain wrong (if you follow the rule strictly).

choice c:
faulty comparison again
'the river...' is being compared to san antonio.

choice d:
drastic change in meaning
this sentence has completely gotten rid of any reference to the concept of 'no longer'. while all the other sentences say that things have changed, this sentence presents the situation as if it's always been that way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
Kudos
May is ask, what is the subject of "is the city's most popular attraction"
because "The river" already has a verb "winds"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
Could anyone please help me identify exactly which words are parallel in the correct answer choice E?
Isn't there 'many cities' parallel with 'river in san Antonio'??

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
is this question from gmatprep ? . Pls, show the screenshot

Yes, the question is from GMAT Prep. No screenshot available though.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Darshak wrote

Quote:
To all those who are saying that
1) the comparison is wrong in B- cities are being compared to rivers and,
2) which refers to the United States

You need to update your understanding of critical concepts. Neither the comparison is flawed not the usage of which is incorrect.

"Unlike river A, In XX the river" is poor but still a valid comparison imo. In XX is just a modifier providing additional information about the river.
Which can refer to the noun/noun clause? Whatever is written after unlike is anyway a noun clause and which can certainly modify that.

The only problem I see in B is the usage of "the river"-implying that a single river is a focal point of many cities. Daagh and egmat are requested to confirm that.

1. I never said the comparison is wrong. I only said it is weak. Because in B, the comparison is not forthright. The introductory prepositional modifier namely 'in Santanio' does not just modify 'the river' alone but the entire long clause that follows. I think you also admit that when you say the comparison is poor.

2. "Which" refers to the river that is at least two nouns away. Additionally, you seem to be mistaking a noun phrase for a noun clause. Relative pronouns as they imply should refer to specific nouns rather than nouns nested with many modifiers.

In this connection, Please also look into what Ninja says in this very thread about why B is not the preferred choice. To make you feel more at home about this, please visit the link given in MGMAT, wherein Ron candidly explains why B is wrong.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/unlike-many-united-states-cities-where-a-river-is-no-longer-t2350.html

Just as an aside, would you ask Ninja and Ron also to update their understanding of this issue?

Originally posted by daagh on 30 Mar 2019, 07:42.
Last edited by daagh on 30 Mar 2019, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Dharshak
Please do not think I got offended. I also see that your thinking is deep. Keep it up. I always with you in the forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Please correct me if I'm wrong GMATNinja daagh egmat , but my take on this question was slightly different.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio - Incorrect comparison, as pointed out by many earlier
(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river Many people are pointing the fact that comparison is incorrect, but I'd like to point out the usage of "THE" here. In the original sentence, we have "a" riven in many US cities, meaning every city has their respective river. If we say, THE RIVER, we are assuming that there is one river flowing through many US cities.
(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it Same as B
(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio Just because we have reversed the order, doesn't mean the meaning is correct. Many could mean anywhere from 1 to 100 (CR concept)
(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river usage of a river is correct

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SDW2 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,
Can we use like/ unlike to compare prepositional phrases? (eg. like in US, in Europe....)
If not then what other words are used to show comparison between prepositional phrases? Can "as" be used for the same?

(There's a great post about this very point here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/can-like-unl ... l#p2625565.)

Logically, it makes a lot of sense to have a noun after the word "like" (or unlike). After all, one thing can be like (or unlike) another thing. Can "in Japan" be like "in Greece"? Ehhhh... maybe? But it makes more sense to compare "being in Japan" to "being in Greece" (yes, "being" is a noun here -- a gerund, if you like the jargon).

As suggested by vv65 (see link above), it's probably a bad idea to make an elimination based on something like this right away. It's better to look for other decision points and see how your options stack up once all of the votes are tallied. Coming up with a list of "rules" to memorize and blindly apply won't get you very far on this test, sadly.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
ballest127 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja.

I'm still don't understand why B is incorrect.
IMO, B is better than E in that E compares the phrase between "The US no longer has river as ....... " and " the river winds through the middle of the business district." That is , I think in E there is wrong comparison.

Could be please explain why B is incorrect?

Thank you.

Good question! When we use "like" or "unlike" we have to compare nouns or noun phrases.

For example, "Philadelphia, like Boston, is a wonderful city, but it has an inferiority complex." (In case any Philly people are tempted to throw batteries at me: I LOVE Philly, and have family there. But it totally has an inferiority complex.) In this case, we're demonstrating a similarity between two cities, "Philadelphia" and "Boston." That's fine. What I can't do is write, "Philadelphia, like in Boston..." because now I'm demonstrating a similarity between a city and a prepositional phrase, and that would make no sense.

(B) has a similar problem. Here we have "Unlike the river..., in San Antonio," so we're comparing "the river" and the prepositional phrase, "in San Antonio." Even if the sentence said, "Unlike the river, San Antonio...," the construction still would be wrong, since we'd be comparing a river to a city.

Because (E) doesn't contain the word "unlike", we're under no obligation to compare nouns directly. Instead, we're comparing contrasting clauses, as indicated by "but." Because there's a logical contrast in the ideas expressed in each clause -- in most cities rivers aren't a focal point of life, but in San Antonio they are -- this construction is logical.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

In Option B, Can't we say the comparison is between "the river in many cities in the United States" and " in San Antonio the river". Can we consider it as a rule that in comparison question using "Unlike", the construction that follows unlike i.e noun or prepositional phrases must be in the same form as the entity that is being compared after the comma ( in this case we have a noun "the river in many cities in the United States" and a prepositional phrase " in San Antonio the river", thus making the comparison incorrect).

{...}

Thanks

One thing we say all the time is that GMAT SC isn't about coming up with "rules" based on the OAs and hastily applying those "rules" to other questions. In this particular question, the funky comparison makes the meaning in (B) a bit harder to follow than the meaning in (E). Does that mean that something like this will ALWAYS be wrong? Not necessarily. But it's certainly something to consider when comparing your options.

In this case, the funky comparison gives us a solid vote in favor of (E) over (B). As pointed out by GmatTutorKnight, the article "the" in (B) is also problematic: is there just ONE river shared by the many cities? Again, that's not definitively WRONG, exactly, but it's another reason why (E) is the better option.

Quote:
Also the usage of "which" in Option B, we have "the river in many cities in the United States, which". The preposition phrase "in many cities" is modifying river and "in the United States" is modifying cities thus indirectly modifying the river. So can "which" jump over these two modifiers and modify river. Thus is the usage of "which" correct?

Again, is it WRONG to have a noun modifier ("which...") that jumps over two prepositional phrases? Not necessarily. But this structure does make the reader's life a bit harder, giving us yet another small vote in favor of (E) over (B).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
I agree it's E

Wrong comparison
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
Wrong comparison
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
Implies one river in many cities
Impies rivers are focal points when they are not
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts