It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 966 [5], given: 0

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2004, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' service areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

A. and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening
B. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open
C. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening
D. company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening
E. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

Kudos [?]: 966 [5], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 09:45
well this is a subject verb problem in option E the 2 companies are merged:- leading gas and leading electric company whereas in others this is just 1 company.

Ex:- The poet and the critic have been honoured.(2 different people)
The post and critic has been honoured.(same person)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 19:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 01:56
A. and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening
B. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open
C. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening
D. company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening
E. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 12:34
I know the best option is E but what I know is that during comparison using like or unlike, both the two entities should either be plural or singular, Here one is plural "mergers" and second is singular "merger" , Doesnt that make the question wrong itself?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:13
utkbits wrote:
I know the best option is E but what I know is that during comparison using like or unlike, both the two entities should either be plural or singular, Here one is plural "mergers" and second is singular "merger" , Doesnt that make the question wrong itself?

IMO both entities for this kind of comparison should be noun. And this question satisfies that condition.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:39
BeingHan wrote:
utkbits wrote:

IMO both entities for this kind of comparison should be noun. And this question satisfies that condition.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

i am not sure on this. you are saying that the below sentence is correct?

Unlike the white cats, the black cats are fearless.

I know both are nouns but I dont think we can compare plural with singular. Can anyone else opine here?

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9279 [0], given: 340

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 03:12
utkbits wrote:
i am not sure on this. you are saying that the below sentence is correct?

Unlike the white cats, the black cats are fearless.

I know both are nouns but I dont think we can compare plural with singular. Can anyone else opine here?

Hello utkbits,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Take a look at the original sentence:

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' service areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

The two compared entities highlighted in the above-mentioned sentence lie in the non-underlined portion. Hence we cannot change these entities.

This usage makes it very clear that singular entities can be compared to plural entities. The number of the noun entities compared does not affect the comparison. What we must make sure is that the compared entities must be grammatical - must play the same function in the sentence - and logical - they must be logically comparable.

Official sentences are not only for practice. Such usages in official sentences help us learn new usages that we may not be aware of.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9279 [0], given: 340

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 10:47
Options B, C and D are out because it says the merger are (wrong) Merger is singular and we need is (singular).

This leaves us A and E.

Option A compares leading gas and company which is wrong.

Option E states clearly that the merger is between 2 companies (gas and electric). Therefore, option E is correct.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 64

Re: Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 10:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which hav

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap