It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [1], given: 23

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello Jesse.

Thanks for answer.
But I want to clarify: does we have pronoun mistake with word they in the answer E and if answer is yes then why in answer D word their is not a problem?

Yes, you are correct. In addition to the meaning of the sentence being distorted, "they" is somewhat ambiguous. "Their" is close enough to "workers" to be understood as belonging to "workers" and not "severance packages."

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [1], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

Schools: Mannheim
Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 03:04
Harley1980 wrote:
LaxAvenger wrote:
maggie27 wrote:
Can we say that E is wrong in the meaning as we cannot schedule persons(workers here) but only their jobs/programs ?

Yes, the problem is that the word "they" CAN refer to workers or to the packages, therefore it is not clearly linked to the packages.

And why word their in the variant D can't refer to the workers or to the packages?

Because a package is not a person, it can't possess anything and in this context only workers makes sense

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2310 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
LaxAvenger wrote:

Because a package is not a person, it can't possess anything and in this context only workers makes sense

Hello LaxAvenger. Thanks for answer.

But if we use the same logic then E also correct because packages can't be scheduled to collect.
Am I right?

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2310 [1], given: 178

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 89

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
I understand that we come down to D & E. But if "they" is causing ambiguity in E why not "their" in D?
Please help me out guys

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 89

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16954 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 22:56

Kudos [?]: 16954 [0], given: 1961

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16954 [2], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Choice D says "their last scheduled day".
"In order to collect" doesn't modify "last scheduled day". In fact, it can't, because "in order to ___" isn't allowed to describe nouns; it can only describe entire actions.
So, you know for sure that "in order to collect" is talking about the action of staying until the last day of work.

Choice E illogically suggests that the workers are collecting days (whatever that means), as addressed earlier in this thread.

I would not care about pronoun ambiguity on this one.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16954 [2], given: 1961

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 05:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 230

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 01:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The real problem with choice Einvolves clarity: 'the last day that they are scheduled to collect' means, literally, that the workers collect days, and that they are to wait until the last day that they're allowed to rip off the calendar, place in their backpacks, and take home to the kids. that doesn't make a lot of sense. never forget that you are to read the sentences very literally, like a robot, and that you are not under any conditions to use 'common sense' to justify improper, inaccurate, or ambiguous wording.
-Ron

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 230

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 11:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1085 [1], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

(A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
(B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package
(C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

Yesterday, I choose correct choice, but it is b/c I remember from one post by Walker. It is not my skill. It is difficult for me to differenciate btw the correct and the near correct!

(D) is the correct answer because -

1. It uses the correct idiomatic usage : Unlike X , Y
2. Pronoun They : correctly refers to the workers

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

(C) is wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence - their last scheduled day in order to collect

Hence (D) is correct !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1085 [1], given: 325

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
could anyone tell me why option E is wrong ?

I need help !!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

(A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
(B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package
(C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 232

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:12
leanhdung wrote:

Can you elaborate more on red-highlighted portion?

Many thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 189

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 19:04
Given the long discussion over the question, it should be categorized as Medium or Advanced question rather than 25% question.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 189

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 22:55
MyLife wrote:
leanhdung wrote:

Can you elaborate more on red-highlighted portion?
Many thanks!

This question tests the usage of UNLIKE X, Y . Kindly note 2 imp points for such use-
1) Both X & Y should be grammatically parallel i.e In this case both X & Y should be NOUN
2) Both X & Y should be be logically parallel i.e. Apple should be compared with a Apple only and with an Orange.

Now combing back to question..
X = Most Severance Package
Y = Not given, but it should be Severance Package of some company in order to fulfill condition (2).

A) Incorrect since we are comparing Apple (X) with an Orange ( Y = worker)
B) Incorrect since we are comparing Apple (X) with an Orange ( Y = worker)
C) Incorrect since we are comparing Apple (X) with an Orange ( Y = Automobile Company)
D) Correct since we are comparing Apple (X) with an Apple ( Y = Automobile Company's Severance Package)
E) Though we are comparing Apple (X) with an Apple ( Y = Automobile Company's Severance Package), neither it is possible nor it makes any sense for worker to COLLECT any day of the week.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 14:06
Only LIKE things can be compared.
A and B: Unlike most severance packages...workers at the automobile company...
Here, workers are illogically compared to most severance packages.
Eliminate A and B.

C: Unlike most severance packages...the automobile company...
Here, the automobile company is illogically compared to most severance packages.
Eliminate C.

Phrase: the amount that John is scheduled to collect
Here, that is standing in for the amount.
Conveyed meaning:
John is scheduled TO COLLECT THE AMOUNT.
In other words, THE AMOUNT is what John will COLLECT.

E: the last day that they are scheduled to collect
Here, that is standing in for the last day.
Conveyed meaning:
Workers are scheduled TO COLLECT THE LAST DAY.
In other words, THE LAST DAY is what workers will COLLECT.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate E.

This is a comparison that begins with "most severance packages". The other side of the comparison, which comes after the "which" clause, must be parallel to "most severance packages". The right answer must compare two types of severance packages. A, B and C can be eliminated on this basis.

The difference between D and E one of meaning. Think about what the author is trying to say. the 2nd package is different from the 1st because the 2nd "is available to workers even if they find a new job before they are terminated". Since this is a contrast, the author must be trying to say that the 1st package will not be available to workers who leave before they are terminated. In other words, in the 1st package, if workers leave early they will not get their money. This is what D says: the package "requires workers to stay until their last day in order to collect [money from the package]".

The difference between D and E is one of meaning.

D says that some severance packages require workers to stay at the company until the last scheduled day they're supposed to work (say, next Friday) or they don't get their severance (which may get paid that day or at some point in the future - we don't know).

E says that some severance packages require workers to stay until the day that they are scheduled to get their money - in other words, they stay until, say, next Friday which is the day that they are actually paid.

Either could be the way things work (though D is probably more realistic, but we don't pay attention to that on SC). So we check the meaning of the original sentence. The original says that these packages "require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect..." Could be confusing, because that's grammatically incorrect in general, which muddles the meaning, but concentrate on "require workers to stay until the last day scheduled" - that goes along with option D. The "to collect" here is missing "in order" which makes it a little harder to see what's going on.

But notice in E how it separates out the later clause - "the last day THAT they are scheduled to collect" - making this into a separate statement, so now "scheduled" is paired with "to collect" instead of "last day scheduled" or (as in correct answer D) "last scheduled day."

Tip #1: When a sentence starts with "Like X / Unlike X / In contrast to X / Compared to X" you are getting a gift from the GMAT gods! The subject that starts the main clause must be the person/thing that you compare to X. This is, indeed, what should send you straight to 4 and 5.

Tip #2: Never blindly eyeball for grammatical rules! Your most important task is to understand the intended meaning.

In this case, workers need to stay until their last scheduled day so that they can collect ("in order to collect") their severance. The intended meaning is to express cause and result.

OA :- D.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 10:47

(A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package - Illogical comparison - severance package vs workers
(B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package - Illogical comparison - severance package vs workers
(C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers - Illogical comparison - severance package vs auto company
(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers - Correct
(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers - Illogical - it tells that workers are collecting days

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 10:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 77 posts ] 

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap