It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:25

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1398 [2], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:35) correct 34% (00:36) wrong based on 1579 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

(A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
(B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package
(C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yesterday, I choose correct choice, but it is b/c I remember from one post by Walker. It is not my skill. It is difficult for me to differenciate btw the correct and the near correct!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1398 [2], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 842 [1], given: 19

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:
26. Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

(A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
(B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package
(C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

Yesterday, I choose correct choice, but it is b/c I remember from one post by Walker. It is not my skill. It is difficult for me to differenciate btw the correct and the near correct!

E. comparision ans correct expreesion. E is clearer than D.

"the last day that they are scheduled to collect" in E is better than "their last scheduled day in order to collect" in D.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 842 [1], given: 19

6 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 349 [6], given: 0

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sondenso wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

D for me

Only D and E have correct comparison between "severance packages"
However, in E, you have the following:
"Severance packages require workers to stay until the last day that they are scheduled to collect"
The bold part modifies "last day", and it sounds like workers are collecting the "last day".

Kudos [?]: 349 [6], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 180 [1], given: 0

Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
D for me.

A, B, and C are out because for comparision issues.

Unlike X, Y is the correct form, or in this case:
Unlike X, modifier, Y...

Only D and E compare severance packages to automobile severance packages.

(D) their last scheduled day in order to collect

This is saying that they have to stay until the last day they are scheduled so that they can collect.

(E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect

This is saying that you have to stay until the last day you are schedule to collect.

There is no day that you a 'scheduled to collect' for a severance package.

Kudos [?]: 180 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1398 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 19:40
Yeah, OA is D

Really waste time to differentiate D and E. But worth!

Thanks!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1398 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2008, 00:10
bkk145 wrote:
sondenso wrote:

D for me

Only D and E have correct comparison between "severance packages"
However, in E, you have the following:
"Severance packages require workers to stay until the last day that they are scheduled to collect"
The bold part modifies "last day", and it sounds like workers are collecting the "last day".

Very good, BKK. Your SC skill is good.
When I took this question, I had the familiar logical thinking as U said: workers schedule to collect the "last day".
I choose D too.

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1133 [2], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
B) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for it at the automobile company's severance package
C) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

Please post your explanations!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Last edited by JarvisR on 20 May 2016, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
OA added

Kudos [?]: 1133 [2], given: 100

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 05:59
c is the answer.

b wrong stat
d e .. doesnot sound rite .

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 08:22
It has to be btw D & E as both of this options are doing right comparison
D doesn't sound correct because of last scheduled day
Hence E
OA plz

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 08:24
A. wrong comparison -- packages with workers
B. same as A
C. wrong comparison -- packages with company..

D and E, both uses the corect comparison.

But D is more concise than E and E is wordy as well..Also, in E. workers can not be scheduled.. :) :)

So, D is the answer..

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 08:27
IMO E...
D & E only have right comparison...
D seems wrong as...."it is not workers last schedule date'...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2009, 09:15
D

It can't be A or B because "Unlike most severance packages,...,workers" is not proper parallelism

It can't be C because "Unlike most severance packages,...,automobile companies" is also not proper parallelism

So it's down to D or E

E is out because "the last day they are scheduled to collect" is wrong

It is D because the worker has to stay until their last scheduled day "in order to collect" which is the proper usage

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2009, 20:30
'E'.

Because of 'in order' seems wordy and akward.

OA please?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2009, 20:54
If I m not wrong official answer is D.... GMAT prep ques...

I think E is wrong bcoz "that they are scheduled to collect" is dependent clause...but it lacks an independent clause to depend upon :) ....any other reasons....??

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1133 [0], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2009, 00:36
Oa is D..why is e wrong?

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kudos [?]: 1133 [0], given: 100

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 539 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 09:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is E

Kudos [?]: 539 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 2

Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
Oa is D..why is e wrong?

E Changes the meaning of the sentence

...which require workers to stay until...

...their last scheduled day in order to collect, - this implies the workers must stay until their last scheduled day of employment in order to collect the pension.

...the last day that they are scheduled to collect - this implies the workers must stay until the last day they are to receive their pension payment, which is illogical, how could someone receive pension payment if they were still working.

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Kudos [?]: 175 [2], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
D it is

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
each worker would have his own date for collecting severence package - use of "their last scheduled day" is correct
E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
"the last day that they are scheduled to collect" - this means all workers are set a single date for collecting severence package which is wrong

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Kudos [?]: 175 [2], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 00:20
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated

1) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package
2) the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for the automobile company's severance package
3) their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers
4) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers
5) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile company's severance package is available to workers

[highlight]The correct answer is 4[/highlight], i originally pick 4, could you please explain what is the difference between " their last scheduled day" and " the last day that they are scheduled" and explain the overall topics being tested on this question

thank you very much

Last edited by vscid on 02 Jun 2010, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
corrected errors in the post

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 05:09
u need not consider "their last scheduled day" and " the last day that they are scheduled" this in to consideration while answering this Question Infact i still dint read this part of the Question to answer this.

The usage of Unlike X,Y is tested here in the Question(here X&Y should be of same Tense)

Unlike most severance packages,(Packages should come Here) This happens only in D

Unlike most severance package, [strike]which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect[/strike], ,the automobile company's severance package is available to worker

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 412

Re: Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until   [#permalink] 28 May 2010, 05:09

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap