Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [344]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [44]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Re: Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged wa [#permalink]
Kudos
895. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

(A) Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.
(B) Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.
(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish. PARALLEL
(D) It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.
(E) Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1004 [3]
Send PM
Re: Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged wa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
leeye84 wrote:
895. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

(A) Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.
(B) Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.
(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.
(D) It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.
(E) Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.

C,D and E come close. But, E is the best choice, because in C and D, it sounds like every other species has blue winged male and female. E clears this doubt, by naming the species (Blue winged warbler) and then describing the difference.

E in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
tonebeeze wrote:
I had a very difficult time figuring out how to best approach this problem. Normally, I am initially able to read the sentence and flag/classify the grammar error. With this question, however, I had a very difficult time eliminating incorrect answer choice because I felt that "Unlike" phrase was the correct way to begin the sentence. I would appreciate the forums incite into how they best eliminated incorrect answer choices to arrive at the best choice. Thanks!

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

a. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

b. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish

c. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish

d. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

e. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.

Stumped !!!

Though I think I will go for E, due to the following reasons:
Idiom is : Unlike X,Y ... where X and Y are Nouns / Noun Phrase. ( not Preposition Phrase )

Option A - Incorrect comparison ( Comparing Most Species to Male and Female Warbler )
Option B - Incorrect comparison ( Comparing most species to Gender )
Option C - Incorrect Comparison ( Comparing Those to Male and Female Warblers)
Option D - Incorrect usage of Unlike Idiom ( Preposition Phrase )
Option E - Correct comparison and Idiom
Rewritting Option E :
unlike most species, Blue-winged warblers are of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
This correctly indicates the Idiom usage ( which is perfect )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Simply speaking, E is the only choice in which one type of warbler is compared to most other species of warbler, and the comparison is brought out by the uniqueness of that one species. In all others choices, the comparison is faulty
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. Option A can be eliminated as it compares 'species' with a 'male' and 'female' warbler
2. Similarly, option B can be eliminated as it compares 'species' with 'gender'
3. Option C is incorrect as 'those' refers to the 'male and female blue-winged warbler species', therefore it would read:
Unlike male and female blue-winged warblers in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish
This is incorrect as blue-winged warblers are a subset of the warbler species
4. D can be eliminated due to the same reasons as A
5. E is correct as it compares the 'blue-winged warblers' correctly with the warbler species
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [4]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
good question to practice comparison...

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

the intended meaning:
Blue-winged warbler are not like the most warbler species
how blue-winged warbler is different? it is difficult to distinguish between a male blue-winged warbler and a female blue-winged warbler.

a. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.
compares most warbler species with the male and female blue-winged warbler - not correct.

b. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish
again, compares most warbler species with the gender of the blue-winged warbler.. - not correct.

c. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish
unlike those - those what? those IN - looks more like a quality than the genders/males/females. were it "unlike those of the most..." it might have been correct. so no, C is out.

d. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.
unlike needs 2 nouns that it compares. in this case, unlike refers to "it is very difficult" so this usage is definitely not correct.

e. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
by POE, E should be the answer. the meaning is correct. specie is compared to other species.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [1]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Kudos

(A) Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart. - Incorrect - Illogical Comparison

(B) Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish. Incorrect - Illogical Comparison

(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish. - Incorrect - Illogical Comparison

(D) It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart. - In the statement - "unlike in most warbler species" - the highlighted in is the error carcass souvik101990 Divyadisha

(E) Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart. - Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Bookmarks

(A) Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart. species compared with male and female blue-winged warbler

(B) Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish. species compared to gender

(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish. "those" does not have clear antecedent

(D) It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart. wrong comparison, same as A

(E) Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart. correct comparison
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
E..as I could only identify a proper use of Unlike. Comparing Warbler with species of warbler..other either compare it to gender or have construction issue
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Can someone please assist me with this question. So the correct form for comparison is Unlike X,Y
Also in the correct answer choice, the pronoun IT cannot refer to the plural blue-winged warblers. So how can this be the correct choice??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Normally, in class essay, I often use the structure in E to make my essay look longer.
In this question, A,B,C have wrong comparisons.
D is awkward.
E sounds good.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
leeye84 wrote:

(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

Source : GMAT Paper Test Test Code 52 Q22

i chose C. My approach was

Unlike "Male and female" in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged are very difficult to distinguish....I thought "THOSE" in C refers to "MALE AND FEMALE Warblers"

Can anyone please explain why C is wrong. I went thru thread but i couldn't get much help.

I rejected E because of "IN THAT" word. I found E awkward. I know awkward is not any approach but still i couldn't understand/feel that E is right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
longhaul123 wrote:
Can someone please assist me with this question. So the correct form for comparison is Unlike X,Y
Also in the correct answer choice, the pronoun IT cannot refer to the plural blue-winged warblers. So how can this be the correct choice??

Read about placeholder pronouns and things will get clear.

Originally posted by Hero8888 on 09 Aug 2018, 13:59.
Last edited by Hero8888 on 10 Aug 2018, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
leeye84 wrote:

i chose C. My approach was

Unlike "Male and female" in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged are very difficult to distinguish....I thought "THOSE" in C refers to "MALE AND FEMALE Warblers"

Can anyone please explain why C is wrong. I went thru thread but i couldn't get much help.

I rejected E because of "IN THAT" word. I found E awkward. I know awkward is not any approach but still i couldn't understand/feel that E is right.

Excellent question! You're right that because the subject of the first clause, "those," is plural, it should logically refer to the plural subject of the subsequent clause, "the male and female blue-winged warblers." But if we substitute the referent in place of "those," we get, "Unlike the male and female blue-winged warblers in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

How can male and female blue-winged warblers be unlike themselves??? That's just nutty. So (C) is out.

Here's (E) again:

• Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.

While "in that" sounds a little goofy to my ear, we never want to eliminate answer choices simply because they sound a little off. Otherwise the question writer can seduce us into selecting the wrong answer every single time by having the OA sound a funny.

In this case, "in that" is used to introduce a supporting example. How are blue-winged warblers unlike most species of warbler? In that it's difficult to tell the sexes apart. Makes sense to me.

Most importantly, don't waste brain space obsessing over esoteric constructions, such as "in that." Instead, just know that on difficult SC questions, the correct answer will sometimes sound a little strange to your ear, and this is intentional. It's why we want to use logic, meaning, and grammar to eliminate incorrect options, rather than relying on our ear.

I hope that helps!

Thank You very much. My doubt is clear now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
leeye84 wrote:

Hey GMATNinja,
If I re-write option B using the concept of ellipse (not confident enough whether my concept is correct)

Unlike [gender of] most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.

Would it be correct??
Please explain.

Regards,
Tamal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
why it is not considered ambiguous in the answer,in the answer it refers to what exactly?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos