It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 22:01
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates - which modifies exhibit wrong
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - an activation - wrong meaning
C. exhibit, and it will activate - use if it not clear
D. exhibit and thereby activate - correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates
- wrong usage of which , as a result wordy, awkward

25 seconds :)

OA:D

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

Current Student

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2014, 08:31
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates (Which is referring to exhibit but it is not exhibit that is activating, it is the touch)
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of (Activation is a noun construction but we already have verb "activate" construction so according to drive the VAN we will go with Verb construction)
C. exhibit, and it will activate (antecedent of it is not clear also it can not refer to touch)
D. exhibit and thereby activate (Correct one, also touch and activate are parallel)
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates (Again same as A use of which is not correct, also which cannot be used without preceding Comma or preposition)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 23:01

A. exhibit, which thereby activates --> "which" modifies the nearest noun i.e "exhibit" ,hence changes the meaning.
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of --> usage of "in turn" distorts the meaning.
C. exhibit, and it will activate --> "it" can refer to "exhibit" but exhibit doesn't turned on itself.
D. exhibit and thereby activate --> correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates--> usage of which + comma is almost avoided on GMAT.

Hence D
Ans

Regards
SG

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of - WHICH antecedent? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 14:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 264

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
Raj you really have posted a good question! the visitors touch something that in return activate a function! "exhibit can not activate something by itself" so we cant use "which" as it refer to "exhibit"

rajgurinder wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate

The solution is pretty simple i.e D.
But what confused me is the explanation in OG for choice A.
According to me 'which ' refers to exhibit and exhibit cannot activate the .... Hence wrong.
But explanation says that 'which' has no antecedent .Hence wrong.

As far as i know , WHICH modifies the immediate preceding noun. Here its "exhibit".

Please let me know where i am going wrong?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 264

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [1], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 01:33
This post received
KUDOS
A. exhibit, which thereby activates - which wrongly modifies exhibit
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - akward
C. exhibit, and it will activate - reference of it is unclear
D. exhibit and thereby activate - correct as --- an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit and thereby activate....
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates - syntax of which is wrong

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [1], given: 57

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 01:57
In OA, GMAC said "D Correct. The agent of the action is clearly indicated by the grammatical structure of the sentence; visitors are encouraged to "touch"... and thereby (to) activate."
I have one question: the omitted (to) might cause ambiguity as the sentence may read like this
"the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, and thereby activate the animated functions of the piece.
But as activate is in a plural form, this ambiguity can be erased somehow.

And such bad question still remains in OG 16....
Am i right?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 04:23
feiry wrote:
B

"which" is wrong to modify exhibit, A/E out
C:"it" has no clear referent

between B and D, really hard to choose
feel more comfortable to add "to" before "activate" in D.
So only B left

I would say the reason for this is the comma. We use comma when we have noun and a verb in the second part.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 264

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 04:49
Newconcept123
its not a bad question and most of the explanations arnt good enough thats why such platform as gmatclub exists
the issue in this question is tha its not exhibit that activates...the action of "touch" that thereby activates. thus, A,c and E are out
now tell me what is right 1) thereby activates (something)
2) in return an activation of (something)

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 264

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 00:20
Hi instructors/experts,

I have no idea about B.
IMO, "an activation of... " works as an absolute phrase, describe the proceeding action
"in turn" is a prep, modifier the absolute phrase,

it confused me a lot, it is not absolute phrase in B? why?

please help to clarify my fault

thanks a lot.
have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 16:25
SPLIT1) PARALLELISM. "TO TOUCH" AND "ACTIVATE" MUST BE IN PARALLEL. A, B AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) THE USE OF "WHICH" AFTER THE COMMA MODIFIES THE PREVIOUS NOUN = EXHIBIT. THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE THE EXHIBIT DOES NOT ACTIVATE THE FUNCTIONS, THE VISITOR DOES. A AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) THE PRONOUN "IT' REFERS TO THE ANTECENDENT, IS THE ANTECEDENT "EXHIBIT". EXHIBIT DOES NOT ACTIVATE ITSELF, IT IS ACTIVATED BY THE VISITORS...SO EVEN IF IT IT MEANT TO REFER TO TO EXHIBIT, IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT IS CHANGING THE MEANING OF THE SENTENCE.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 130

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 04:46
In the independent clause 'The VLP, an online version....', VLP encourages visitors To Touch. This Touching results into activation of the animated functions of the piece. If it were present [, + present participle] it would be correct too.

But, I made mistake and didn't select option D. I thought Activate was in plural. Generally, after Thereby in an SC Question we see [, + present participle], so here I got confused and thought that activate is in plural form.

Can you explain the structure of Thereby Activate?
If we are to show Result of the clause, is [Thereby + Plural Verb] correct?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 130

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 03:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ravi19012015 wrote:
In the independent clause 'The VLP, an online version....', VLP encourages visitors To Touch. This Touching results into activation of the animated functions of the piece. If it were present [, + present participle] it would be correct too.

But, I made mistake and didn't select option D. I thought Activate was in plural. Generally, after Thereby in an SC Question we see [, + present participle], so here I got confused and thought that activate is in plural form.

Can you explain the structure of Thereby Activate?
If we are to show Result of the clause, is [Thereby + Plural Verb] correct?

"Activate" is not a verb but an infinitive - "activate" is parallel to "touch". "To" is outside the parallel structure and hence covers both "touch" and "activate". The structure is as follows:

.. encourage visitiors TO touch and thereby activate....

The structure is similar to the following:

The school does not allow the children TO go out or play during the class.

Kudos [?]: 3522 [2], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 05:58
egmat wrote:
SidKaria wrote:

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I understand that "to touch" is an infinitive,an action and not a noun.
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)
eg. 1)To err is human. can we now use any pronoun to refer to "to err".
2)to swim is good for health.

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?
In the 2nd sentence "To err" is the subject. can i call it a noun ??

i think that both the questions are interrelated.
please help.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

You do ask a very interesting question. Let me try to clarify your doubts without creating any further confusions.

The "to verb" or "the infinitive" (for those who prefer jargon" is an action phrase that grammatically acts as a noun. This is the reason why we can use "to err" or for that matter several other "to verb" phrases as the Subject of a sentence. However, they are not the conventional noun, just like the verb-ing" nouns or "gerunds", as they also present some action. Only their grammatical form is Noun but essentially they are action words. This is the reason why we CANNOT use any pronoun, be it the regular pronouns or the Relative Pronouns. to refer to "to verbs". The regular pronouns and the Relative Pronouns ONLY refer to regular conventional noun entities.

So yes, you can call them nouns but just for the grammar sake. In functionality, they are actually action words. However, we cannot call the "to verbs" regular Verbs because they CANNOT have any tense. They are used in the same form in sentences written in past, perfect, or future tense. Again, grammatically they cannot be called Verbs because they are already classified as nouns. And an entity can only perform one grammatical function.

Now, is this knowledge vital for solving SC questions? IMHO, it's not. This is more of a grammar detail that is good to know but not something that will help solve SC problems correctly.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Can you please help me understand why activate is correct and activates is incorrect ?
what is it referring to ?

Thank you.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 48

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Can you please help me understand why activate is correct and activates is incorrect ?

Hi sumanainampudi! The correct answer uses "activate" instead of "activates" because it is the infinitive form ("to activate", not "to activates"); however, in this case, the "to" is implied and does not need to be written. For example, you could say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and (to) buy milk.", but you cannot say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and buys milk." Who is going to the store? "my friend". Who is buying milk? also "my friend". Similarly, in the OG example, the "visitors" are responsible for both actions, touching and activating. Since the infinitive "to touch" is used for the first action, the infinitive form "(to) activate" must also be used; this makes it clear that the visitors are responsible for both actions.

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 00:09
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:

Hi sumanainampudi! The correct answer uses "activate" instead of "activates" because it is the infinitive form ("to activate", not "to activates"); however, in this case, the "to" is implied and does not need to be written. For example, you could say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and (to) buy milk.", but you cannot say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and buys milk." Who is going to the store? "my friend". Who is buying milk? also "my friend". Similarly, in the OG example, the "visitors" are responsible for both actions, touching and activating. Since the infinitive "to touch" is used for the first action, the infinitive form "(to) activate" must also be used; this makes it clear that the visitors are responsible for both actions.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much !

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 00:51
Error analysis:
Sentence contains relative pronoun error, "which" modifies its preceding noun "exhibit" and by context meaning it happens that "exhibit" then activates its own functions which is illogical.

Option D corrects that error.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 01:24
A - Which lacks an antecedent making it unclear what activated the display
B - In turn an activation seems like it's a new clause but lacks a verb making it incomplete
C - No antecedent for it because in this case touch is a verb
D - Correct
E - Which has no antecedent

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 89

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 00:40

Option A and E are exactly similar and 2 choices cannot be correct on the GMAT (Also in choice E, the comma before 'which' is missing). Thus, A and E are incorrect. As per the intended meaning of the sentence it is the ACTION OF TOUCHING which is activating the animated functions of the piece and not the exhibit itself is activating. But choices A and E implies the latter meaning which is NON-SENSICAL. Choice C even implies this NON SENSICAL meaning.

Choice B (the way it is written) implies that exhibit is an activation of the animated functions of the piece. Clearly, illogical. Thus, choice D is the correct answer.

STRUCTURE OF THE CORRECT ANSWER :

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit and thereby ("to") activate the animated functions of the piece.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 89

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 00:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap