It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 12:39
I thought that ",which" was the ONLY time that "which" would refer to the noun prior to the comma. Answer choice E does not have a comma before the "which" -- how does that affect the reasoning?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 06:28
When the sentence says encourages visitors to "touch". Isn't it logical to say that the touch activates the functions whereas in D when the sentence says "and thereby activate" it means users activate the animated function. Doesn't using a plural verb activate distorts the meaning to a small extent?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
farhanc85 wrote:
When the sentence says encourages visitors to "touch". Isn't it logical to say that the touch activates the functions whereas in D when the sentence says "and thereby activate" it means users activate the animated function. Doesn't using a plural verb activate distorts the meaning to a small extent?

There is no plural verb used here. D uses the following parallel structure:

to “touch” each exhibit and thereby (to) activate...

Since we have an infinitive here (to activate), we cannot use to activates.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
Unlike the original national museum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 01:30
Unlike the original national museum of science and technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass operated only by staff members, the virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activated the animated functions of the piece.
a) exhibit, which thereby activates
b) exhibit, in turn an activation of
c) exhibit, and it will activate
d) exhibit and thereby activate
e) exhibit which, as a result, activates
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Unlike the original national museum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
Ravish do not post questions, which are already discussed extensively on Gmatclub. Use search option at the top right corner to find old threads.

Please refer link for this question : unlike-the-original-national-museum-of-science-and-75497.html
If you have any specific doubt, which is not answered on the forum, then please post it on above mentioned thread.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 02:56
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 01:01
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I understand that "to touch" is an infinitive,an action and not a noun.
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)
eg. 1)To err is human. can we now use any pronoun to refer to "to err".
2)to swim is good for health.

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?
In the 2nd sentence "To err" is the subject. can i call it a noun ??

i think that both the questions are interrelated.
please help.

please help.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SidKaria wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?

please help.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

You do ask a very interesting question. Let me try to clarify your doubts without creating any further confusions.

The "to verb" or "the infinitive" (for those who prefer jargon" is an action phrase that grammatically acts as a noun. This is the reason why we can use "to err" or for that matter several other "to verb" phrases as the Subject of a sentence. However, they are not the conventional noun, just like the verb-ing" nouns or "gerunds", as they also present some action. Only their grammatical form is Noun but essentially they are action words. This is the reason why we CANNOT use any pronoun, be it the regular pronouns or the Relative Pronouns. to refer to "to verbs". The regular pronouns and the Relative Pronouns ONLY refer to regular conventional noun entities.

So yes, you can call them nouns but just for the grammar sake. In functionality, they are actually action words. However, we cannot call the "to verbs" regular Verbs because they CANNOT have any tense. They are used in the same form in sentences written in past, perfect, or future tense. Again, grammatically they cannot be called Verbs because they are already classified as nouns. And an entity can only perform one grammatical function.

Now, is this knowledge vital for solving SC questions? IMHO, it's not. This is more of a grammar detail that is good to know but not something that will help solve SC problems correctly.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 09:53
SidKaria wrote:

please help.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

You do ask a very interesting question. Let me try to clarify your doubts without creating any further confusions.

The "to verb" or "the infinitive" (for those who prefer jargon" is an action phrase that grammatically acts as a noun. This is the reason why we can use "to err" or for that matter several other "to verb" phrases as the Subject of a sentence. However, they are not the conventional noun, just like the verb-ing" nouns or "gerunds", as they also present some action. Only their grammatical form is Noun but essentially they are action words. This is the reason why we CANNOT use any pronoun, be it the regular pronouns or the Relative Pronouns. to refer to "to verbs". The regular pronouns and the Relative Pronouns ONLY refer to regular conventional noun entities.

So yes, you can call them nouns but just for the grammar sake. In functionality, they are actually action words. However, we cannot call the "to verbs" regular Verbs because they CANNOT have any tense. They are used in the same form in sentences written in past, perfect, or future tense. Again, grammatically they cannot be called Verbs because they are already classified as nouns. And an entity can only perform one grammatical function.

Now, is this knowledge vital for solving SC questions? IMHO, it's not. This is more of a grammar detail that is good to know but not something that will help solve SC problems correctly.

Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 07:54
Hi SJ,

Can you please help me understand why is 2nd option wrong? I marked it out thinking its too wordy but I'm not sure of the exact reason because on a second thought it doesn't look that bad either.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 08:06
sk5002 wrote:
Hi SJ,

Can you please help me understand why is 2nd option wrong? I marked it out thinking its too wordy but I'm not sure of the exact reason because on a second thought it doesn't look that bad either.

Hi sk5002,

Choice B completely fails to communicate the intended meaning. The intended meaning of the sentence is that in the virtual museum, the visitors are allowed to touch the exhibits and their touch activates the animated function of the touched pieces.

But Choice B fails to convey this. That the "activation of the animated functions" happens because of the visitors touching the exhibit is not conveyed in an effective manner. The correct answer Choice D corrects this error as it maintains perfect parallelism by saying that visitors are encouraged "to touch" the exhibit" and thus "(to) activate" the animated functions.

Thanks.
SJ

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2014, 06:01
to touch and to activate is correct.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates ===> Should be activate, so eliminated
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of ===>Incomplete sentence, so eliminated
C. exhibit, and it will activate ==> No clear antecedent for IT ( Touch or Exhibit)
D. exhibit and thereby activate ===> Activate , so correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates ===> Should be activate, so eliminated
NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 21:01
x2suresh wrote:

A. exhibit, which thereby activates - which modifies exhibit wrong
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - an activation - wrong meaning
C. exhibit, and it will activate - use if it not clear
D. exhibit and thereby activate - correct
- wrong usage of which , as a result wordy, awkward

25 seconds :)

OA:D

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2014, 07:31

A. exhibit, which thereby activates (Which is referring to exhibit but it is not exhibit that is activating, it is the touch)
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of (Activation is a noun construction but we already have verb "activate" construction so according to drive the VAN we will go with Verb construction)
C. exhibit, and it will activate (antecedent of it is not clear also it can not refer to touch)
D. exhibit and thereby activate (Correct one, also touch and activate are parallel)
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates (Again same as A use of which is not correct, also which cannot be used without preceding Comma or preposition)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 22:01

A. exhibit, which thereby activates --> "which" modifies the nearest noun i.e "exhibit" ,hence changes the meaning.
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of --> usage of "in turn" distorts the meaning.
C. exhibit, and it will activate --> "it" can refer to "exhibit" but exhibit doesn't turned on itself.
D. exhibit and thereby activate --> correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates--> usage of which + comma is almost avoided on GMAT.

Hence D
Ans

Regards
SG
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of - WHICH antecedent? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 13:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
Raj you really have posted a good question! the visitors touch something that in return activate a function! "exhibit can not activate something by itself" so we cant use "which" as it refer to "exhibit"

rajgurinder wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

The solution is pretty simple i.e D.
But what confused me is the explanation in OG for choice A.
According to me 'which ' refers to exhibit and exhibit cannot activate the .... Hence wrong.
But explanation says that 'which' has no antecedent .Hence wrong.

As far as i know , WHICH modifies the immediate preceding noun. Here its "exhibit".

Please let me know where i am going wrong?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
A. exhibit, which thereby activates - which wrongly modifies exhibit
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - akward
C. exhibit, and it will activate - reference of it is unclear
D. exhibit and thereby activate - correct as --- an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit and thereby activate....
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates - syntax of which is wrong

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 09:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 00:57
In OA, GMAC said "D Correct. The agent of the action is clearly indicated by the grammatical structure of the sentence; visitors are encouraged to "touch"... and thereby (to) activate."
I have one question: the omitted (to) might cause ambiguity as the sentence may read like this
"the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, and thereby activate the animated functions of the piece.
But as activate is in a plural form, this ambiguity can be erased somehow.

And such bad question still remains in OG 16....
Am i right?
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2016, 00:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 81 posts ] 

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap