It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 03:23
feiry wrote:
B

"which" is wrong to modify exhibit, A/E out
C:"it" has no clear referent

between B and D, really hard to choose
feel more comfortable to add "to" before "activate" in D.
So only B left

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates

I would say the reason for this is the comma. We use comma when we have noun and a verb in the second part.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 275

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 03:49
Newconcept123
its not a bad question and most of the explanations arnt good enough thats why such platform as gmatclub exists
the issue in this question is tha its not exhibit that activates...the action of "touch" that thereby activates. thus, A,c and E are out
now tell me what is right 1) thereby activates (something)
2) in return an activation of (something)

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 03:09
Is there any "which\that" rule violation here? Or is which\that irrelevant for this sentence?

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 36

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6443 [0], given: 122

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 03:46
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
iliavko wrote:
Is there any "which\that" rule violation here? Or is which\that irrelevant for this sentence?

Hi,
yes which/that are wrong here..
which would modify a NOUN, here it ILLOGICALLY modifies exhibit..
1)"activates" can either by result of the earlier phrase --encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit--

then it could be --- encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, thereby activating ....
OR
2) activate could be Parallel TO touch..
and the correct answer follows this construction..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Kudos [?]: 6443 [0], given: 122

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 23:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 34

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 23:20
Hi instructors/experts,

I have no idea about B.
IMO, "an activation of... " works as an absolute phrase, describe the proceeding action
"in turn" is a prep, modifier the absolute phrase,

it confused me a lot, it is not absolute phrase in B? why?

please help to clarify my fault

thanks a lot.
have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 15:25
SPLIT1) PARALLELISM. "TO TOUCH" AND "ACTIVATE" MUST BE IN PARALLEL. A, B AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) THE USE OF "WHICH" AFTER THE COMMA MODIFIES THE PREVIOUS NOUN = EXHIBIT. THIS IS WRONG BECAUSE THE EXHIBIT DOES NOT ACTIVATE THE FUNCTIONS, THE VISITOR DOES. A AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) THE PRONOUN "IT' REFERS TO THE ANTECENDENT, IS THE ANTECEDENT "EXHIBIT". EXHIBIT DOES NOT ACTIVATE ITSELF, IT IS ACTIVATED BY THE VISITORS...SO EVEN IF IT IT MEANT TO REFER TO TO EXHIBIT, IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT IS CHANGING THE MEANING OF THE SENTENCE.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 130

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 03:46
In the independent clause 'The VLP, an online version....', VLP encourages visitors To Touch. This Touching results into activation of the animated functions of the piece. If it were present [, + present participle] it would be correct too.

But, I made mistake and didn't select option D. I thought Activate was in plural. Generally, after Thereby in an SC Question we see [, + present participle], so here I got confused and thought that activate is in plural form.

Can you explain the structure of Thereby Activate?
If we are to show Result of the clause, is [Thereby + Plural Verb] correct?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 130

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3799 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ravi19012015 wrote:
In the independent clause 'The VLP, an online version....', VLP encourages visitors To Touch. This Touching results into activation of the animated functions of the piece. If it were present [, + present participle] it would be correct too.

But, I made mistake and didn't select option D. I thought Activate was in plural. Generally, after Thereby in an SC Question we see [, + present participle], so here I got confused and thought that activate is in plural form.

Can you explain the structure of Thereby Activate?
If we are to show Result of the clause, is [Thereby + Plural Verb] correct?

"Activate" is not a verb but an infinitive - "activate" is parallel to "touch". "To" is outside the parallel structure and hence covers both "touch" and "activate". The structure is as follows:

.. encourage visitiors TO touch and thereby activate....

The structure is similar to the following:

The school does not allow the children TO go out or play during the class.

Kudos [?]: 3799 [2], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 234

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 04:58
egmat wrote:
SidKaria wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I understand that "to touch" is an infinitive,an action and not a noun.
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)
eg. 1)To err is human. can we now use any pronoun to refer to "to err".
2)to swim is good for health.

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?
In the 2nd sentence "To err" is the subject. can i call it a noun ??

i think that both the questions are interrelated.
please help.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

You do ask a very interesting question. Let me try to clarify your doubts without creating any further confusions.

The "to verb" or "the infinitive" (for those who prefer jargon" is an action phrase that grammatically acts as a noun. This is the reason why we can use "to err" or for that matter several other "to verb" phrases as the Subject of a sentence. However, they are not the conventional noun, just like the verb-ing" nouns or "gerunds", as they also present some action. Only their grammatical form is Noun but essentially they are action words. This is the reason why we CANNOT use any pronoun, be it the regular pronouns or the Relative Pronouns. to refer to "to verbs". The regular pronouns and the Relative Pronouns ONLY refer to regular conventional noun entities.

So yes, you can call them nouns but just for the grammar sake. In functionality, they are actually action words. However, we cannot call the "to verbs" regular Verbs because they CANNOT have any tense. They are used in the same form in sentences written in past, perfect, or future tense. Again, grammatically they cannot be called Verbs because they are already classified as nouns. And an entity can only perform one grammatical function.

Now, is this knowledge vital for solving SC questions? IMHO, it's not. This is more of a grammar detail that is good to know but not something that will help solve SC problems correctly.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Can you please help me understand why activate is correct and activates is incorrect ?
what is it referring to ?

Thank you.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 57

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Can you please help me understand why activate is correct and activates is incorrect ?

Hi sumanainampudi! The correct answer uses "activate" instead of "activates" because it is the infinitive form ("to activate", not "to activates"); however, in this case, the "to" is implied and does not need to be written. For example, you could say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and (to) buy milk.", but you cannot say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and buys milk." Who is going to the store? "my friend". Who is buying milk? also "my friend". Similarly, in the OG example, the "visitors" are responsible for both actions, touching and activating. Since the infinitive "to touch" is used for the first action, the infinitive form "(to) activate" must also be used; this makes it clear that the visitors are responsible for both actions.

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

Kudos [?]: 122 [1], given: 57

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 23:09
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:

Hi sumanainampudi! The correct answer uses "activate" instead of "activates" because it is the infinitive form ("to activate", not "to activates"); however, in this case, the "to" is implied and does not need to be written. For example, you could say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and (to) buy milk.", but you cannot say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and buys milk." Who is going to the store? "my friend". Who is buying milk? also "my friend". Similarly, in the OG example, the "visitors" are responsible for both actions, touching and activating. Since the infinitive "to touch" is used for the first action, the infinitive form "(to) activate" must also be used; this makes it clear that the visitors are responsible for both actions.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much !

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 23:51
Error analysis:
Sentence contains relative pronoun error, "which" modifies its preceding noun "exhibit" and by context meaning it happens that "exhibit" then activates its own functions which is illogical.

Option D corrects that error.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 00:24
A - Which lacks an antecedent making it unclear what activated the display
B - In turn an activation seems like it's a new clause but lacks a verb making it incomplete
C - No antecedent for it because in this case touch is a verb
D - Correct
E - Which has no antecedent

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:42
A great candidate to practise ignoring the fluff.

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit and to do something.......(where to is optional)

The only answer that fixes this is D

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 42

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 11:34

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 199

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 90

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 23:40

Option A and E are exactly similar and 2 choices cannot be correct on the GMAT (Also in choice E, the comma before 'which' is missing). Thus, A and E are incorrect. As per the intended meaning of the sentence it is the ACTION OF TOUCHING which is activating the animated functions of the piece and not the exhibit itself is activating. But choices A and E implies the latter meaning which is NON-SENSICAL. Choice C even implies this NON SENSICAL meaning.

Choice B (the way it is written) implies that exhibit is an activation of the animated functions of the piece. Clearly, illogical. Thus, choice D is the correct answer.

STRUCTURE OF THE CORRECT ANSWER :

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit and thereby ("to") activate the animated functions of the piece.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 90

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 20:33
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 20:33
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 21:47
Can someone help me with this question. I think the answer A is correct because Exhibit which is singular and so we need a singular activates and so options D and C are out. Why is this logic incorrect . Help me. Thank you

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 21:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 81 posts ] 

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap