It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1792

Kudos [?]: 1062 [7], given: 5

Location: New York
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 21:07
7
This post received
KUDOS
28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:48) correct 37% (01:24) wrong based on 2403 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning


Last edited by PiyushK on 05 Jul 2014, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.

Kudos [?]: 1062 [7], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 21:36
B

"which" is wrong to modify exhibit, A/E out
C:"it" has no clear referent

between B and D, really hard to choose
feel more comfortable to add "to" before "activate" in D.
So only B left

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 801

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 21:54
A

you need "which" for the extra, non essential information that follows

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1881

Kudos [?]: 1401 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 22:29
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates


D is the best

encourage A to do B and (to) do C: is correct
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1401 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 487

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2009, 03:22
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates


Hi mates,

IMO C

A out: for me it's the fact of touching the exhibit what activates the function, not the exhibit itself.
B out: for me it sounds wordy: "in turn an activation of"
D out: same reason as in A, and alse activate is in plural instead of singular
E out same reason as in A

OA and Source?

Cheers
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 426

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2009, 09:28
I'll go with E.

'which' is not modifying exhibit because the ',' is removed.

D, I think, changes the meaning slightly

Cheers,
Unplugged

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

9 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [9], given: 0

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2009, 12:58
9
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates - it is not exhibit that activates....
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - incomplete sentence....
C. exhibit, and it will activate - it is not museum that activates....
D. exhibit and thereby activate - the best
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates- it is not exhibit that activates....


I think "each" is wrongly underlined as it does not appear in option A.

Kudos [?]: 279 [9], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1792

Kudos [?]: 1062 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2009, 13:11
scthakur wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates - it is not exhibit that activates....
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - incomplete sentence....
C. exhibit, and it will activate - it is not museum that activates....
D. exhibit and thereby activate - the best
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates- it is not exhibit that activates....


I think "each" is wrongly underlined as it does not appear in option A.


agree with your logic..

OA is D
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1062 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 487

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2009, 02:57
x2suresh wrote:
OA is D


mmm I think I don't get it :oops:

If D, the two possibilities:

· the Virtual Leonardo Project encourages visitors to "touch" [..] and thereby (to) activate, in other words: visitors are encouraged to touch and to activate

or

· the Virtual Leonardo Project encourages visitors to "touch" [..] and thereby visitors activate, i.e. the subject of activate is visitors

Which option is the right one?

Thanks for your support
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 16 [6], given: 0

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 03:14
6
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
calvinhobbes wrote:
Why is A wrong?


Hi, two quick rules to remember about the word "which:"
1. "Which" refers to the nearest noun phrase before it (basically the nearest thing).
So, in this case, "which" refers to the closest noun before it: "exhibit." But then the sentence would say that the exhibit "thereby activates the animated functions..." That's not true; the exhibit does not activate the functions, the visitor does.

2. "Which" is a pronoun, so it can only be used to replace a noun; it can not be used to replace a verb.
So, "which" can not replace "to touch" because "to touch" is a verb and can not be referred to by a pronoun. (if maybe you assumed that the act of touching activated the functions).

For both reasons, A can't be the answer.

Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 16 [6], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Location: Sydney
Schools: Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, IMD,Sloan,IE, Kellogg, LBS
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2011, 21:00
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

The answer has to be (E).

1. It is the exhibit that activates animated functions of the piece.
2. I dont think the use of "thereby" with Which is "logical."

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2011, 12:13
Answer should be D
D because it correctly refers to the act of touching rather than the object "exhibit"
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Schools: Stanford '15
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 18:35
E is redundant

I believe the usage of which is correct because it is not preceded by a comma, but the way it is worded would already imply that it is a result, making the use of "as a result" redundant.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 8

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 03:12
I am still confused. Is sentence trying to say : Visitors activate the animated functions or their action(touching)?

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 239

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 12

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2011, 20:35
andysimple wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates =>exhibit activates?
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of => the use of a noun is wordy
C. exhibit, and it will activate => it refers to what?
D. exhibit and thereby activate => correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates => same as A


I'd liek clarification on why for answer choice C, the antecedent "it" can't be "exhibit". Although that would still be wrong because of parallelism and some logic, the OG answer explanation also says "it" has no antecedent because "touch" is a verb.

what if C was

"exhibit, and it will activate itself"

still not the best answer, but grammatically correct no?

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2011, 01:08
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is D. I think it's a OG10 question.

Think of the parallelism - To Touch & therby Activate. Remember that: One thought on parallelism eliminates'em All 8-) :)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2011
Posts: 36

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 50

Location: Germany
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2012, 08:30
Ddc wrote:
OA is D. I think it's a OG10 question.

Think of the parallelism - To Touch & therby Activate. Remember that: One thought on parallelism eliminates'em All 8-) :)


You were right. First I decided for A but afterwards realised that it is completely wrong.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 50

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 899

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 21:56
IMHO,

It is the infinitive "to touch" that "which" modifies.

Meaning wise touch should activate.........

So, IMO I have an inclination for (E).However, the OA is (D).

Experts opinion plz

Rgds,
TGC
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3480 [0], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 22:41
targetgmatchotu wrote:
IMHO,

It is the infinitive "to touch" that "which" modifies.

Meaning wise touch should activate.........

So, IMO I have an inclination for (E).However, the OA is (D).

Experts opinion plz

Rgds,
TGC


Hi TGC

According to Manhattan GMAT, sentence correction, page 86.
Which is relative pronoun that must modify things (noun or noun phrase)
Hence, "which" cannot modify the infinitive "to touch".

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [0], given: 123

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 899

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 23:01
pqhai wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
IMHO,

It is the infinitive "to touch" that "which" modifies.

Meaning wise touch should activate.........

So, IMO I have an inclination for (E).However, the OA is (D).

Experts opinion plz

Rgds,
TGC


Hi TGC

According to Manhattan GMAT, sentence correction, page 86.
Which is relative pronoun that must modify things (noun or noun phrase)
Hence, "which" cannot modify the infinitive "to touch".

Hope it helps.


Hi pqhai,

In the same Guide (MGMAT SC) it is mentioned that "infinitive" has three functions:

(1). Noun
(2). ADJ
(3). ADVERB

Plz Advice !

Rgds,
TGC
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 23:01

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.