It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16198 [0], given: 1951

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
[quote="SOURH7WK"]Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.

A. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells
and batteries
B. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, with sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their
short flights
C. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which enabled them to carry sufficient
enough power in fuel cells and batteries
D. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells
and batteries for their short flights
E. the flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, whose shortness allowed them to carry sufficient
power in fuel cells and batteries

Unlike X, Y is the correct construction, where X and Y are logical and parallel.

A. space station is compared with flights of shuttles. Apples to oranges
B. sufficient enough is a heavily redundant construction.
C. Same error as A

D. Correct.E. Same error as A and C.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16198 [0], given: 1951

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [2], given: 29

Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A,C,E are out. They compare flights of some type with the type itself.

We are left with B and D.
B is wrong for two reasons. 1-> sufficient enough is redundant. 2-> The words following the comma describe the spacecraft.. spacecraft with X. So the use of their is wrong. The phrase belongs to the noun that is singular.

D is the perfect answer. Unlike X and Y, which do something, Z has to do something else.

On a separate note, did anyone notice the usage of "will have" for singular noun? A nice remainder of a lesson that we all learnt :)

Kudos [?]: 65 [2], given: 29

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 562

GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:05
Apart from 'sufficient enough' which is redundant, is there any other issue in B?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 506 [1], given: 466

Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sachin9 wrote:
Apart from 'sufficient enough' which is redundant, is there any other issue in B?

yea.

use of 'with' is unwarranted. You should use 'which' when you are presenting a non-essential information.

'with' is generally used when you want to use the modifier as well or show the modifier plays an important role.

see this question: the-javelin-has-a-sharp-point-which-is-more-obviously-137306.html

look at option B and E.
E means, because the javelin has a sharp point it is dangerous.
B means javelin has a sharp point AND it is dangerous. (states 2 facts about javelin without connecting them)

Kudos [?]: 506 [1], given: 466

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 20:27
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

yea.

use of 'with' is unwarranted. You should use 'which' when you are presenting a non-essential information.

'with' is generally used when you want to use the modifier as well or show the modifier plays an important role.

see this question: the-javelin-has-a-sharp-point-which-is-more-obviously-137306.html

look at option B and E.
B means javelin has a sharp point AND it is dangerous. (states 2 facts about javelin without connecting them)

Thanks mate, guess the following will the following be correct then..

the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which have sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights

Could you also let us know the right usages of with apart from the you mentioned..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 466

Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2013, 00:29
Sachin9 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

yea.

look at option B and E.

Thanks mate, guess the following will the following be correct then..

the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which have sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights

Could you also let us know the right usages of with apart from the you mentioned..

'with' is pretty versatile. It can modify the preceding noun or the whole clause. It is important to see the context in which it is used. (like we discussed above)

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 466

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2013, 02:45
Excuse my obvious question. I want to make sure I understand which statements.

In the correct answer choice sentence, "Unlike the flights of the shuttle and earlier aircraft, which were capable of carrying..."

"Which" refers to "flights of the shuttle and earlier aircraft," or "shuttle and earlier aircraft," or "earlier aircraft?"

Basically, if a question asks, "Unlike x and y, which blah blah blah," can I understand that which refers to "x and y" rather than just "y?"

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7582 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2013, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
Isn’t this odd? Apart from that A, C and E are out because of a devilish comparison, and B is out due to a blatant redundancy error, we have still not reached the right choice. The only remaining choice D has errors that I would reckon are more serious than the redundancy of B. How?

D says ‘which were capable of’, using the past tense. This is a factual error. The shuttle and earlier spacecraft were not only capable in the past, but also today and may be ever. We must use a present tense to focus on this generalization of this aspect, rather than a past tense. Please note that the main clause itself is in the future perfect tense; so, use of past tense is not justified.

Secondly, it would be better to say actively that the shuttles and spacecrafts could carry sufficient power rather passively as ‘capable of carrying’.
Which error should we pardon: redundancy or wrong tense?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 23 Jun 2014, 18:17, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 7582 [1], given: 360

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2013, 04:28
In response to your question:

D says ‘which were capable of’, using the past tense. This is a factual error. The shuttle and spacecrafts were not only capable in the past, but also today and may be ever. We must use a present tense to focus on this generalization of this aspect, rather than a past tense. Please note that the main clause itself is in the future perfect tense; so, use of past tense is not justified.

I'd argue that using the past tense is correct here. The emphasis is on "earlier spacecraft," so not "spacecraft," so it's proper to refer to earlier spacecraft's capabilities in the past.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7582 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2013, 04:44
Acceptable of course, if only the shuttles are not there any more; this doubt arises because, a permanently placed space body is being compared with an on and off counterpart. This is questionable. Somehow, I feel the comparison is vulnerable. But if it is acceptable to GMAT, then why bother? We will happily take D as the choice; learning in the process, a few basic grammar lessons.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7582 [0], given: 360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 21:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 855 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 12:24
daagh wrote:
Isn’t this odd? Apart from that A, C and E are out because of a devilish comparison, and B is out due to a blatant redundancy error, we have still not reached the right choice. The only remaining choice D has errors that I would reckon are more serious that the redundancy of B. How?

D says ‘which were capable of’, using the past tense. This is a factual error. The shuttle and earlier spacecraft were not only capable in the past, but also today and may be ever. We must use a present tense to focus on this generalization of this aspect, rather than a past tense. Please note that the main clause itself is in the future perfect tense; so, use of past tense is not justified.

Secondly, it would be better to say actively that the shuttles and spacecrafts could carry sufficient power rather passively as ‘capable of carrying’.

Experts,

Can anyone clarify the quoted doubt?

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 855 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 821 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 14:47
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TGC wrote:
daagh wrote:
Isn’t this odd? Apart from that A, C and E are out because of a devilish comparison, and B is out due to a blatant redundancy error, we have still not reached the right choice. The only remaining choice D has errors that I would reckon are more serious that the redundancy of B. How?

Experts,

Can anyone clarify the quoted doubt?

Sure...first of all be careful with how you evaluate tense. There are many times when you have to maintain a certain tense by force (due to parallelism and perfect tenses), but tense shifts in themselves are not incorrect. They are only incorrect if they lead to improper/illogical meaning. There is nothing illogical in this sentence that creates a comparison between the historical capabilities of shuttles/space craft and the future needs of the space station.

As for the active vs. passive construction, the GMAT shows no preference for active construction. Passive construction is grammatically correct and should not be used for eliminations.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 13:49
can someone explain with & ,with as a modifier?

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 127 [1], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
SOURH7WK wrote:
Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.

A. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells
and batteries
B. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, with sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their
short flights
C. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which enabled them to carry sufficient
enough power in fuel cells and batteries
D. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells
and batteries for their short flights
E. the flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, whose shortness allowed them to carry sufficient
power in fuel cells and batteries

Edit: Posted Full question and removed the image file.

Some people argue that in option B the use of modifier "with..." is incorrect. Experts, please help me to explain why the use of modifier "with...." in option B is incorrect!! Thank you so much!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 273 [1], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Some people argue that in option B the use of modifier "with..." is incorrect.

NO !! this is not the case
this construction is not outright wrong but yes there is this construction "sufficient enough power" which makes it wrong .this expression is redundant ----->"sufficient" and "enough" implies the same meaning

does it help?

Kudos [?]: 273 [1], given: 61

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
Some people argue that in option B the use of modifier "with..." is incorrect.

NO !! this is not the case
this construction is not outright wrong but yes there is this construction "sufficient enough power" which makes it wrong .this expression is redundant ----->"sufficient" and "enough" implies the same meaning

does it help?

Yes, indeed, it does! Thank you, Aditya8062!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 10:38
amenon55 wrote:
can someone explain with & ,with as a modifier?

Hmmm...not sure I understand your request. Can you post again with a little more detail around what you need clarification about?

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 07:54
Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.

The problem here is comparison. short flight is compared with a permanently orbiting space station. A,C and E choices are out due to this reason
Now we are left with choices B and D.

choice B - Use of With is unwarranted. Which clause should be used here and Sufficient & enough are redundant

Choice D is correct answer

A. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries
B. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, with sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
C. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which enabled them to carry sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries
D. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
E. the flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, whose shortness allowed them to carry sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 120

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 98

GPA: 2.84
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 17:26
WaterFlowsUp : Please add OA - D

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 98

Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2014, 17:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ]