Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [52]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [16]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [4]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahulchow wrote:
Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, all drivers are prohibited from using portable phones while driving

A. Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
B. Besieds using headset telephones, which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
C. Unless headset telephones,which allow drievers to keep their hands on the wheel,are used
D. Other than the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
E. Aside from using telephones which allow the drivers to keep their hand on the wheel

Hi,

Found this problem in the Kaplan800. Am not very comfortable with the OE.

After much thought, negated all options other than c and e. Choose E because I felt it was more paralled to the second part - 'using' in both part of the sentence. C has 'used' Vs 'using'.

Need to know, if there is a better way of arriving at the OA which is C

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, all drivers are prohibited from using portable phones while driving.

a. <same >
b. Besides using headset telephones, which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
c. Unless headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, are used
d. Other than the use of headset telephones,which allows drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
e. Aside from using headset telephones which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The sentence creates a comparison between headset and all other portable telephones. While one would normally look to create a parallel structure and, starting with the fact that the nonunderlined portion begins with all drivers, start the underlined portion with a parallel reference to drivers, no answer choice gives you that option. Therefore, look for a choice that lets you off the hook and doesn't require the two parts of the sentence to be parallel. The initial sentence is flawed because it compares the use of headset telephones to all drivers, and you know by now that "comparison" constructions must compare or contrast like objects (telephones to telephones, drivers to drivers). (B), (D), and (E) repeat the same error; each creates a comparison between using headsets and drivers. (C), while it doesn't create a correct comparison, gives you an option where a grammatical parallel isn't necessary. Choice (C) creates a complete clause on its own, with its own subject and verb (Unless headset telephones...are used), so it can stand apart from the rest of the sentence. Complicated, yes, but apply what you know about comparisons to get rid of the other four choices and you'll only be left with (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Re: Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
honchos wrote:
rahulchow wrote:
Hi,

After much thought, negated all options other than c and e. Choose E because I felt it was more paralled to the second part - 'using' in both part of the sentence. C has 'used' Vs 'using'.

Thanks
Unlike the use of headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, all drivers are prohibited from using portable phones while driving.

a. <same >
b. Besides using headset telephones, which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
c. Unless headset telephones,which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, are used
d. Other than the use of headset telephones,which allows drivers to keep their hands on the wheel
e. Aside from using headset telephones which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel

E is absolute wrong as which should have comma before it.

Yes, you are right about that. E is wrong since it should have a comma.
D is wrong because of the word allows. Telephones (plural) --> allow (singular) so should be allow
C - Correct, because it signifies the meaning of the sentence. The sentence is saying: Anything that allows the driver to keep their hands on the wheel is fine, other than that (or anything else) is prohibited. Also you're comparing headphones with drivers which is wrong
B - Trap answer because the sentence is like saying : you can use headset telephones (besides) AND other things are prohibited. Be careful of this answer. It might look right, but it should also convey the meaning of the sentence!
A - wrong. Comparing a noun and a verb. The use of unlike is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert in the making :wink: , but here is my take in the question.

'which allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel', this modifier is a non-essential modifier here. If we remove this, it doesn't leave the meaning of the sentence incomplete.So, we should use a ',' to separate it, hence E is out.

A, Faulty comparison. Comparing Noun Vs. Verb
B, Correct.
C is awkward.
D, same as A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
Kudos
rahulchow wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

a. <same >

C wins. Only C correctly expresses contradiction in meaning of the sentence. Correct usage of "unless".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
I got similar question on mba.com as Gmat Practice question ... can some expert throw some light what's the deifference between the option B and C ... I made C my answer which was wrong :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
I`m not expert but i will try to explain this:

I go for C because are using unless, that i believed are saying that "only if I use of headset telephones".... i`m allowed to use while driving, if not use headset i will not be allowed.

So unless to me is something as only if i use headset i will be allowed to drive while talking on the phone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
rahulchow wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

a. <same >

E is absolute wrong as which should have comma before it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
daagh wrote:
This is a very relevant question in the present context of importance of meaning over grammar. Let us discuss B and C.

1. No doubt both are structurally fine . No issue about that. But B is far from the intended meaning of the original. Here the question is either headphone or nothing; but besides means in addition to, as well etc.
Thus, besides has no logical context in the given question. Whereas C, by using the word unless, carries the original meaning intact

2. In B and E you are comparing using x (a participle) with Y are prohibited (a clause). On the contrary, in C, you are comparing ‘headphones are used’ with ‘the drivers are prohibited’. A perfect foil.

IMO C is by all means the a better one than B

What is wrong with E?
Is it because aside from = in addition to? => a noun must be followed because it is a preposition?
Except for is also incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
C is the only one that actually expresses what the sentence is supposed to be saying, that drivers are prohibited from using portable phones while driving, unless they use headset telephones as they allow the drivers to keep their hands on the wheel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Could someone please explain why option D is incorrect?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts