GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 08:44
Conclusion :- Retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores will fall.
Weaken :- Retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores will not fall.

To make this argument very basic:
Premise: The price of raw cotton has fallen.
Conclusion: The cost of cotton clothing will fall.

What is the author assuming? That the cost of cotton clothing is ONLY influenced by the price of raw cotton. That seems like a weak assumption, since many other costs could go into the conversion of raw cotton into cotton clothing.

To weaken the argument, attack the assumption that only the cost of raw cotton influences the price of cotton clothing. (A) does this nicely, illustrating that there are other possible factors that go into the final cost of cotton clothing, such as the cost of processing the cotton.Also, Option A: Correctly gives an alternate reason why the retail price may not fall. Because, although the wholesale prices have fallen, the cost of processing them into clothing has risen. Thus, the cotton clothing manufacturers will have to sell the clothes at the same price as they did before and eventually the retailers will have to sell it at the same rate as before as well.
Thus, A is best choice here.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 05:44
(C) The operating costs of the average retail clothing store have remained constant during the last year.

Can someone explain more on this option? I am not clear with the operating costs?

My understanding of the argument -
Basically, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. As per the conclusion, the retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores will inevitably fall.

Now, where does this operating costs comes into picture? I am not able to link that. What will actually happen if the operating costs are constant.. Can someone help in explaining this? ChiranjeevSingh

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 09:21
A is the correct choice - the sentence clearly weakens the argument.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 22:39
E here talks about the harvesting crops which is apparently not the focus of passage. Cotton prices has decreased and hence store prices of cotton should decrease. If cotton requires more expenditure in processing it into clothing then no matter what prices in store will not decrease.
A is an answer.

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 09:36
Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.

Mostly all the weaken the argument questions attacks the conclusion so, it’s very important to isolate the conclusion, it makes things easier.

Conclusion: the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year thus, the retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores will inevitably fall.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.
This option tells us that the cost of processing RC FOR CLOTH has increased during the last year and this can have an impact on the retail prices which may increase. This option is certainly taking the conclusion down and causing a doubt.

B. The wholesale price of raw wool is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton.
The comparison for both the prices is not going to help.

C. The operating costs of the average retail clothing store have remained constant during the last year.
It can be an assumption but not a weakner.

D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices.
It may be a general fact but doesn't impact the conclusion.

E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year.
Is that factor going to impact the retail clothing market? We don't know. It may not have any impact on the conclusion.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 19:46
I was a bit skeptical about answer.
I am working in Retail sector, I can assure you that If the harvesting costs plummet, the cost of raw materials brought by Manufacturing industries governed by retail sectors also plummet. Thereby, The cost of clothing will not as much affected as mentioned by the stimulus. GMATNinja, abhimahna, Can you please help me out here. Since it is a GMAT official question, I want to correct my way of approach. Please guide me.

Thank you
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 10:08
Nightmare007 wrote:
I was a bit skeptical about answer.
I am working in Retail sector, I can assure you that If the harvesting costs plummet, the cost of raw materials brought by Manufacturing industries governed by retail sectors also plummet. Thereby, The cost of clothing will not as much affected as mentioned by the stimulus. GMATNinja, abhimahna, Can you please help me out here. Since it is a GMAT official question, I want to correct my way of approach. Please guide me.

Thank you

Hey Nightmare007 ,

That is the beauty of CR questions. You have to keep all your general emotions and knowledge out of them.

If the author is concluding sun rises from west, we have to consider that as the truth.

In this question, the conclusion is the cost of clothes will drop.

Now, we need to weaken this and say nope, it won't.

Even though we are getting raw cotton at low price, increased processing will offset the price drop.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 01:36
:cry:
abhimahna wrote:

Does that make sense?

yeah it does.. We need to check the immediate affects if present in the options. Only when we could not find any answers we should start taking a deep dive. :) .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 21:43
Question Stem:-
1) wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year
2) retail price of cotton clothing will inevitably fall

Required:- Which option most seriously weakens the argument

Prethinking:-
Raw material to finished goods - what if other costs increases?

Option A becomes a straight forward choice:-
A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 21:58
zz0vlb wrote:
Can someone explain reasoning behind A and E ? I choosed E but which statement weakens more i.e W+ or W++? B,C and D are not the answers for sure.

the way i am thinking
E. The harvested cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so should weaken the main argument

A. If the processing cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so this should also weakens the argument right? so how to choose between E and A?

Answer choice E never mentions about any relationship between raw cotton and cloth. It merely says that, "retail price of cotton" not the processed cotton clothes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 22:19
elavendan1 wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
Can someone explain reasoning behind A and E ? I choosed E but which statement weakens more i.e W+ or W++? B,C and D are not the answers for sure.

the way i am thinking
E. The harvested cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so should weaken the main argument

A. If the processing cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so this should also weakens the argument right? so how to choose between E and A?

Answer choice E never mentions about any relationship between raw cotton and cloth. It merely says that, "retail price of cotton" not the processed cotton clothes.

Option E. says "The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year".

Question Stem:-
1) wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year
2) retail price of cotton clothing will inevitably fall

Wholesale price of raw cotton is determined after including the revised cost of harvesting raw cotton. Say for example the earlier wholesale price per unit of raw cotton was $100. The earlier cost of harvesting raw cotton is $20 per unit of raw cotton which is already included in the price wholesale price of $100. The fallen price (bumper production of crop and increased supply) of raw cotton is $70 per unit and in this price the revised cost of harvesting raw cotton is $40 per unit of raw cotton is included.

Lets consider this from the point of view of a retail clothing manufacturer. Will he pay revised price $70 (i.e. wholesale cost of raw cotton) or (cost of harvesting raw cotton, i.e. revised $40) - Obviously it is $ 70 and not $40 which is included in the pricing of $70.

I think you are smart enough to recognize why is A superior option over E.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 12:34
zz0vlb wrote:

the way i am thinking

cost of harvesting is already a part of wholesale price of raw cotton and the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen.
so the cost of harvesting will not affect the cost of cotton clothes in retail stores.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 03:23
Question Que: "seriously weaken"
Question Type: weaken, argument

To weaken this type of question:
1. find conclusion 2.find evidence (premise) 3.find assumption (gap) 4. ATTACK the gap (alternate cause)

Conclusion:Price of retail cotton clothing will fall soon
(scope change)
Evidence: Wholesale price of cotton has fallen

Assumption (pre-thinking that closes the gap):
wholesale price is the ONLY factor that is related to pricing of retail cotton cloth

Weaken:
wholesale price is NOT the only factor that is related to pricing of retail cotton cloth

(personalize the arguement)
--> think in this way, from picking up cotton to deliver a piece of cotton clothing you are wearing... what other processes are involved?
Labor cost for sewing a piece of cotton clothing and etc.
A. The process of retail cotton cloth
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 03:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap