It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:39

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 166

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2011, 01:59
fluke wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treast particular maladies

Unlike compares similar nouns and noun-phrases.

a) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken

using spices for cooking
should be compared with
using spices for preparing medicines

b) Unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken
Unlike spices
should be compared with
another spices or spice like things.

c) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done
same as A.

d) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken
Parallel usage:
In cooking; in medicinal usage
spices are used; spices are taken
and "whereas" conveys the intended contrast properly.

Correct.

e) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken
Looks like usage is in small quantities and not the spices.

My question is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In D, how could "small quantities" and "spices" be parallel?

Even I have the same question :(

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 166

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1275 [0], given: 18

Re: Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 21:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
42. Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies.

A) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken
B) unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken
C) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done
D) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken
E) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

Kudos [?]: 1275 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 23:19
1+ D, for maintaining the ||ism.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2011, 04:50
A,b,c donot clearly bring the comparison out which D does..

E is too wordier for me

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 16

Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2011, 21:51
Initially marked C

but now i will go with D

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 54

WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 01:03
Could you tell me the reason why C is not the right answer, what is the Grammatical explanation.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 54

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 07:27
D has to be the correct answer. It is the only one which maintains proper parallelism. E is wordier.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2011, 02:36
amneetpadda wrote:
Could you tell me the reason why C is not the right answer, what is the Grammatical explanation.

Comparison is with the quantities of spice that is used in cooking and medicine. C doesn't given any information on quantity of spices used in cooking.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 22

GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.68
WE: Public Relations (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2011, 23:40
amneetpadda wrote:

the only reason is that,,in C. Cooking is compared with taking spices for medicinal use so it's incorrect comparison

Flying from shadow to the light

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2011, 00:28
Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies.

A) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken
B) unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken
C) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done
D) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken
E) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 16:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 12:23

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 12:32
noboru wrote:
OA is D.

My take:
A.- out, unlike is for comparing nouns, not clauses
B.- out, compares spices with in using spices
C.- same as A
D.- u got it
E.- the usage is in small quantities sounds very bad; also they has no antecedent.

Everybody agree?

This helps a lot. I did not know that "unlike" had the same rules as "like". (Hopefully) Never making this mistake again.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 15:26
Explanation for D over C is given here:http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/unlike-using-spices-for-cooking-in-medicinal-usage-t1062-15.html

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 16:25

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 11:52
Somebody please edit this question.

Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies

b) Unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken

d) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken

e) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities,whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

Please post the question entirely. The option D) is missing "of " in the version which is posted and that is why I rejected the option D) .

I copied the version of the question from : http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forum ... t1062.html

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 548

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9494 [1], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 9494 [1], given: 1203

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 20:27
metallicafan wrote:
Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in large quantities in order to treat particular maladies

e) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities, whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

My question is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

My 2 cents --

Like/instead of - Used to compare nouns

As - Used to compare actions.

Since above statements represent actions, Like can't be used. A,B,C Out.

D/E - Avoid pronouns where ever necessary. Usage of 'Spices' is better than pronoun 'They'. So 'D'.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 22:12

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1066 [1], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
quiet888 wrote:

(A) Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken

(B) Unlike spices that are used in cooking, in using spices for medicine, they are taken

(C) Unlike cooking with spices, taking spices for medicinal use is done

(D) In cooking, small quantities of spices are used, whereas in medicinal usage spices are taken

(E) In cooking, the usage of spices is in small quantities,whereas in medicinal usage they are taken

choice e literally says that the usage of spices is 'in small quantities', which is not the proper message. this could mean that you don't use spices very often, but, when you do, you dump 14 kilos of allspice and 12 kilos of paprika in your pan.

the sentence needs to convey the message that the spices are the things of which quantities are small. choice d conveys this message well.

one could say that d isn't 100% parallel, but it's definitely more parallel than the other choices: in cooking, (noun) is used (passive voice construction); in medicinal usage, (noun) are taken (passive voice construction).

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1066 [1], given: 90

Re: Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2017, 11:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Unlike using spices for cooking, in medicinal usage they are taken in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap