It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 21:43
I will go with D .

My reasoning is as follows :

Observation 1 : Like has been used to give example, which is wrong, hence A & E are out.

Left with B,C & D: Now considering 1st line:: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” , they sentence itself has cleared which rule they are talking about hence we do not need restrictive pronoun "that" in this case,
Lastly to verify subjunctive which triggers with required --> infinitive form of verb to receive is been used in D.

Plz correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 60

Schools: ISB '15

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 07:51
grakesh wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
On the other hand!:

I found some rationale of A:

Most of us rejected A because the "like" is used to introduce an example.
Well, it is not.
The "like" introduces a comparison here and is thus used correctly.

Quote:
A) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

The ground floor rent IS NOT one of income sources for the condominum associations (CAs), but it IS one of income sources for restaurants. So, the "other sources" for CAs are compared to the other sources for restaurants (such as ground-floor rent), and the "ground-floor rent" is not an income source for CAs, thus it is not an example of "other sources" for CAs.

This is the case with the "like".

Further, "required that" uses correct Command Subjunctive. As to the previous posts, the "have" in the second clause can be omitted without any damage to the sentence. It is redundant. The comma before ", and" is also correctly placed, as a comma between two long parallel clauses should be (also before the coordinating conjunction and!).

A is the best answer choice, though hellishly convoluted. Perhaps we all fell victims to the inflexible way of thinking, putting an obtuse grammar rule way above... thinking :).

Thanks for the explanation. Here meaning of the sentence is playing the major role.

Though I picked C initially, one more reason why A can be the answer is ... the comma before "such as" is not required if it’s only giving examples.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 60

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2014, 21:29
I never discuss the hard point on UN official questions, which are created by persons geting high score on gmat but not understanding much of basic grammar.

another aspect of the problem is that the explantion of experts is not full because expert know not enough grammar basics. I agree that gmat test meaning relations among entities in the sentences but we have to use basic grammar to explain the meaning relations. we can not justifiy whether an adverbial is correct if we do not know that it is an adverbial. finally, grammar is created for us to use the phrases/words exactly. in short, we can not say that we can solve gmat without grammar if we are non natives. the natives can solve sc without good grammar because they use ear more than grammar rule. this thing is bad and disadvantage non natives.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 14:35
carcass wrote:
Me too in a first instance picked C.

but as usual is important to revise a question in particular whan you pick it wrong and is difficult such this question.

So: if we look at the sentence ONLY from the meaning standing point in B C D and E (I do not see anything else: no like no other grammar rule) have or to have it's like an huge black hole.

It doesn't hold anywater. Completely syupid to think (for me of course) to solely think to the other answer choices......

:( The meaning guys..........is the key in such SC.

regards

Carcass / Humpty Dumpty

Is the usage of ,and correct in Option A ?

A) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

It should be connecting to ICs or presenting a list.
To me it seems that neither is the case.

Please Clarify
Thankyou !!

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 18:34
rrkan wrote:
daagh wrote:
All I know is that A cannot be the choice, since A is using like to state examples. The text is not comparing ground floor rents with anything. It is an example of income from other sources. This is a fatal error.

Among others:

B Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants. --- This is a fragment without a finite verb for the main clause

C Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.—This is a classic subjunctive mood clause. Looks perfect to me; the three essentials are present: The command word ‘required’ is there; that is there; and the verb of the sub-clause is base form (receive, have no more

D. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants. --- This is another version of C, wherein the infinitives are used instead of base verbs; again perfectly befitting, IMO.

E; Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.—as wrong as A for using like for examples.

Between C and D, it is difficult to make out, unless there is a reason for preferring one over the other. I personally prefer C because of the sunbjuntiveness of the mood

Can somebody explain me what is the main clause in B

daagh misplaced choice B.
Did you notice? hahahha
:D It is a fragment because choice B uses requiring.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 00:38
test the usage of "Like" and "As"

the intended meaning of the sentence is to decribe a core of action that the condominium associations, like ground - floor rents for restaurant, must follow according to the "80-20 rule".

For this meaning, the uses of "As" in choice B, C, D are incorrect.

Between choice A and E. Choice E is too wordy and the usage of parallel structure changes the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Choice A is correct

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 22:26
thelosthippie wrote:
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” requiring that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

A is correct. In the list of 100 questions....see the topic dat is mentioned --> Such as/ Like. Its a bit confusing but restaurant system is compared with condo system

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

Schools: Mannheim

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 23:55
I am wondering Why is E wrong? Can someone explain ? It looks grammatically proper to me!

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Can Veritas Prep Expert explain this question please?

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 98

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 00:09
Meaning : The state tax regulation requires ("Subjunctive" as well as "to+verb" - usage correct with "Require") that CA's receive some income (80%) from x and no more (equal to) 20% from Y. This Y is being compared with ground floor rent for restaurants.

A - Looks fine

B - No verb (Requiring is not a verb). Such as used as examples for sources of income for CA - Wrong

C - Wrong usage of Such as

D - Wrong usage of Such as

E - to+verb = shows some kind of motive. The motive is of the "Regulation" that requires CAs to receive funds ina certain manner.

A - more concise and clear.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 13:16
A cannot be correct. When the comparison towards the end and right after "no more than 20 percent from other sources", it is tremendously more logical for the following items to be examples of "other sources", than a comparison to the "the 80-20 rule for condos"

For A to be correct, it should go something like this:

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule”, like the ground-floor rent rule for restaurants, required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources.

The part about "ground-floor rent rule for restauraunts" is simply too far away from the object that answer A incorrectly attempts to compare.

Once again, take every question that is not official GMAC material with a grain of salt. This does not appear to be a GMAT quality question.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 21:17
In this case - A is the best among the five options. (In SC, it is not always the perfect answer but the answer choice needs to be the best among five)

Also, in the original sentence "like the ground - floor rent for restaurants" can be compared with "Other sources". So, the comparison is meaningful in that sense.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 09:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 10:12
please guys revise the source of this question. OA is A but many people disagree with like usage.
if it used for comparison, it should be : ' , income like ground-floor rent for restaurants.'
Gmat doesn't input ambiguous statements in SC question as It does in Math questions since Gmat verbal calls for simplicity and clarity of sentences not ambiguity.
Any way, I doubt this question and am quite confused.
please verbal experts, your inputs here will be highly appreciated.
thanks

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3321 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 10:40
hatemnag wrote:
please guys revise the source of this question. OA is A but many people disagree with like usage.
if it used for comparison, it should be : ' , income like ground-floor rent for restaurants.'
Gmat doesn't input ambiguous statements in SC question as It does in Math questions since Gmat verbal calls for simplicity and clarity of sentences not ambiguity.
thanks

It depends on whether the meaning intended is introducing example or comparing. Here introducing example is a better fit. Hence "such as" should have been used. Such a question is probably not expected in the real test.

(What is the problem with the source - is it not Veritas prep?)

Kudos [?]: 3321 [0], given: 22

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 11:14
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Meaning : The state tax regulation requires ("Subjunctive" as well as "to+verb" - usage correct with "Require") that CA's receive some income (80%) from x and no more (equal to) 20% from Y. This Y is being compared with ground floor rent for restaurants.

A - Looks fine

B - No verb (Requiring is not a verb). Such as used as examples for sources of income for CA - Wrong

C - Wrong usage of Such as

D - Wrong usage of Such as

E - to+verb = shows some kind of motive. The motive is of the "Regulation" that requires CAs to receive funds ina certain manner.

A - more concise and clear.

For the highlighted part: I feel that comparison is between X and other sources & not ground floor rent. "ground-floor rent for restaurants" is an example of such a source. Introducing example require such as.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 21:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
hatemnag wrote:
thanks

It depends on whether the meaning intended is introducing example or comparing. Here introducing example is a better fit. Hence "such as" should have been used. Such a question is probably not expected in the real test.

(What is the problem with the source - is it not Veritas prep?)

even if it is Veritas prep, it wouldn't appear in the real test.
such question is not out of scope.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 23:03
IMO : its D
Corrects parallelism(required to recieve .. and have.. i don't think its proper so eliminated C ) and such as - used for examples .

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 803 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 09:31
Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you please confirm what should be the answer for this question? I my opinion answer should be D and not A atleast.

Also, I donot find any error with C also. I believe both 'require that' and 'require to' are correct.

Please help!!

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 803 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 136

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 17:32
Quote:

HumptyDumpty wrote:
The comma before ", and" is also correctly placed, as a comma between two long parallel clauses should be (also before the coordinating conjunction and!).
A is the best answer choice, though hellishly convoluted. Perhaps we all fell victims to the inflexible way of thinking, putting an obtuse grammar rule way above... thinking :).

Could someone go into more detail explaining this comma? Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 136

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 17:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap