It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 97
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 20:43
I will go with D .

My reasoning is as follows :

Observation 1 : Like has been used to give example, which is wrong, hence A & E are out.

Left with B,C & D: Now considering 1st line:: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” , they sentence itself has cleared which rule they are talking about hence we do not need restrictive pronoun "that" in this case,
Lastly to verify subjunctive which triggers with required --> infinitive form of verb to receive is been used in D.

Plz correct me if i am wrong somewhere.
_________________

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 99
Schools: ISB '15
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 06:51
grakesh wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
On the other hand!:

I found some rationale of A:

Most of us rejected A because the "like" is used to introduce an example.
Well, it is not.
The "like" introduces a comparison here and is thus used correctly.

Quote:
A) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.


The ground floor rent IS NOT one of income sources for the condominum associations (CAs), but it IS one of income sources for restaurants. So, the "other sources" for CAs are compared to the other sources for restaurants (such as ground-floor rent), and the "ground-floor rent" is not an income source for CAs, thus it is not an example of "other sources" for CAs.

This is the case with the "like".

Further, "required that" uses correct Command Subjunctive. As to the previous posts, the "have" in the second clause can be omitted without any damage to the sentence. It is redundant. The comma before ", and" is also correctly placed, as a comma between two long parallel clauses should be (also before the coordinating conjunction and!).

A is the best answer choice, though hellishly convoluted. Perhaps we all fell victims to the inflexible way of thinking, putting an obtuse grammar rule way above... thinking :).

Thanks for the explanation. Here meaning of the sentence is playing the major role.




Though I picked C initially, one more reason why A can be the answer is ... the comma before "such as" is not required if it’s only giving examples.
_________________

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 268
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2014, 20:29
I never discuss the hard point on UN official questions, which are created by persons geting high score on gmat but not understanding much of basic grammar.

another aspect of the problem is that the explantion of experts is not full because expert know not enough grammar basics. I agree that gmat test meaning relations among entities in the sentences but we have to use basic grammar to explain the meaning relations. we can not justifiy whether an adverbial is correct if we do not know that it is an adverbial. finally, grammar is created for us to use the phrases/words exactly. in short, we can not say that we can solve gmat without grammar if we are non natives. the natives can solve sc without good grammar because they use ear more than grammar rule. this thing is bad and disadvantage non natives.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 39
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 13:35
carcass wrote:
Me too in a first instance picked C.

but as usual is important to revise a question in particular whan you pick it wrong and is difficult such this question.

So: if we look at the sentence ONLY from the meaning standing point in B C D and E (I do not see anything else: no like no other grammar rule) have or to have it's like an huge black hole.

It doesn't hold anywater. Completely syupid to think (for me of course) to solely think to the other answer choices......

:( The meaning guys..........is the key in such SC.

regards


Carcass / Humpty Dumpty

Is the usage of ,and correct in Option A ?

A) Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

It should be connecting to ICs or presenting a list.
To me it seems that neither is the case.

Please Clarify
Thankyou !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 17:34
rrkan wrote:
daagh wrote:
All I know is that A cannot be the choice, since A is using like to state examples. The text is not comparing ground floor rents with anything. It is an example of income from other sources. This is a fatal error.

Among others:


B Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants. --- This is a fragment without a finite verb for the main clause

C Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.—This is a classic subjunctive mood clause. Looks perfect to me; the three essentials are present: The command word ‘required’ is there; that is there; and the verb of the sub-clause is base form (receive, have no more

D. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants. --- This is another version of C, wherein the infinitives are used instead of base verbs; again perfectly befitting, IMO.

E; Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.—as wrong as A for using like for examples.

Between C and D, it is difficult to make out, unless there is a reason for preferring one over the other. I personally prefer C because of the sunbjuntiveness of the mood


Can somebody explain me what is the main clause in B



daagh misplaced choice B.
Did you notice? hahahha
:D It is a fragment because choice B uses requiring.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 93
Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 23:38
test the usage of "Like" and "As"

the intended meaning of the sentence is to decribe a core of action that the condominium associations, like ground - floor rents for restaurant, must follow according to the "80-20 rule".

For this meaning, the uses of "As" in choice B, C, D are incorrect.

Between choice A and E. Choice E is too wordy and the usage of parallel structure changes the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Choice A is correct
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Posts: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 21:26
thelosthippie wrote:
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” requiring that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.




A is correct. In the list of 100 questions....see the topic dat is mentioned --> Such as/ Like. Its a bit confusing but restaurant system is compared with condo system
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 129
Location: Hong Kong
Schools: Mannheim
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 22:55
I am wondering Why is E wrong? Can someone explain ? It looks grammatically proper to me!
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10341
Premium Member
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 03:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 23:19
I also got confused between 'Such as ' and 'like'. I am still not able to understand how 'other sources' can be compared to 'ground-floor rent for restaurants'? Experts - can you help?

"other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 06:16
honchos wrote:
Veritas gives this solution-

Solution: A

Explanation: The primary difficulty in this question refers to a false decision point between “such as” and “like”. Generally speaking, you use “such as” when what follows is an example of what precedes it and you use “like” when you are making a comparison. However, grammar experts do not agree on this usage and many top editors (including most at the New York Times) permit the usage of like in examples like “colors like pink and red.” Be careful about applying rules that you think are strict when they really are not: in math 2 + 2 is always 4 but in grammar there are few absolutes. Therefore, at the end both “like” and “such as” are acceptable so you must find other decision points. In (B) there is no active verb as “requiring” is just a participle. In (C), (D), and (E) “have no more…” is incorrect: you do not “have 20% of your income from other sources” you “receive 20% of your income from other sources”. Only (A) gets the predication correct: “require that associations receive at least 80% from this…, and no more than 20% from other sources” The comma confuses some students but it is there to make it clear that the first part ends after “from shareholders.” The sentence is really “receive at least 80% from this and no more than 20% from this…”. Answer is (A).

My Doubt-
I have learnt in fact most of us-
Like: comparison
Such as: Examples.

This question and its application is challenging my entire understanding and Knowledge about Sentence Correction.

In the initial Full reading i realized that question has nothing wrong accept like, but then I searched for options that has such as.



Just have a question on Option D : (trying to clear my concept) : as per the Stem this is wrong answer.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Can we have a structure like [color=#00ffff]Bossy verb + Noun + That + Command subjunctive ( receive) , and ( have) ........[/color]
why will be this Option wrong in "D" . both verbs ( receive & Have) are in subjunctive mood with same subject ( condominium associations) and are parallel. Doesn't this construction make it right usage of (Have).

I am sure i am missing something in my explination......:-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 338
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 02:12
Jam2014 wrote:
honchos wrote:
Veritas gives this solution-

Solution: A

Explanation: The primary difficulty in this question refers to a false decision point between “such as” and “like”. Generally speaking, you use “such as” when what follows is an example of what precedes it and you use “like” when you are making a comparison. However, grammar experts do not agree on this usage and many top editors (including most at the New York Times) permit the usage of like in examples like “colors like pink and red.” Be careful about applying rules that you think are strict when they really are not: in math 2 + 2 is always 4 but in grammar there are few absolutes. Therefore, at the end both “like” and “such as” are acceptable so you must find other decision points. In (B) there is no active verb as “requiring” is just a participle. In (C), (D), and (E) “have no more…” is incorrect: you do not “have 20% of your income from other sources” you “receive 20% of your income from other sources”. Only (A) gets the predication correct: “require that associations receive at least 80% from this…, and no more than 20% from other sources” The comma confuses some students but it is there to make it clear that the first part ends after “from shareholders.” The sentence is really “receive at least 80% from this and no more than 20% from this…”. Answer is (A).

My Doubt-
I have learnt in fact most of us-
Like: comparison
Such as: Examples.

This question and its application is challenging my entire understanding and Knowledge about Sentence Correction.

In the initial Full reading i realized that question has nothing wrong accept like, but then I searched for options that has such as.



Just have a question on Option D : (trying to clear my concept) : as per the Stem this is wrong answer.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Can we have a structure like [color=#00ffff]Bossy verb + Noun + That + Command subjunctive ( receive) , and ( have) ........[/color]
why will be this Option wrong in "D" . both verbs ( receive & Have) are in subjunctive mood with same subject ( condominium associations) and are parallel. Doesn't this construction make it right usage of (Have).

I am sure i am missing something in my explination......:-)



In (C), (D), and (E) “have no more…” is incorrect: you do not “have 20% of your income from other sources” you “receive 20% of your income from other sources”.

_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 24
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 03:32
samichange wrote:
Jam2014 wrote:
honchos wrote:
Veritas gives this solution-

Solution: A

Explanation: The primary difficulty in this question refers to a false decision point between “such as” and “like”. Generally speaking, you use “such as” when what follows is an example of what precedes it and you use “like” when you are making a comparison. However, grammar experts do not agree on this usage and many top editors (including most at the New York Times) permit the usage of like in examples like “colors like pink and red.” Be careful about applying rules that you think are strict when they really are not: in math 2 + 2 is always 4 but in grammar there are few absolutes. Therefore, at the end both “like” and “such as” are acceptable so you must find other decision points. In (B) there is no active verb as “requiring” is just a participle. In (C), (D), and (E) “have no more…” is incorrect: you do not “have 20% of your income from other sources” you “receive 20% of your income from other sources”. Only (A) gets the predication correct: “require that associations receive at least 80% from this…, and no more than 20% from other sources” The comma confuses some students but it is there to make it clear that the first part ends after “from shareholders.” The sentence is really “receive at least 80% from this and no more than 20% from this…”. Answer is (A).

My Doubt-
I have learnt in fact most of us-
Like: comparison
Such as: Examples.

This question and its application is challenging my entire understanding and Knowledge about Sentence Correction.

In the initial Full reading i realized that question has nothing wrong accept like, but then I searched for options that has such as.



Just have a question on Option D : (trying to clear my concept) : as per the Stem this is wrong answer.

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Can we have a structure like [color=#00ffff]Bossy verb + Noun + That + Command subjunctive ( receive) , and ( have) ........[/color]
why will be this Option wrong in "D" . both verbs ( receive & Have) are in subjunctive mood with same subject ( condominium associations) and are parallel. Doesn't this construction make it right usage of (Have).

I am sure i am missing something in my explination......:-)



In (C), (D), and (E) “have no more…” is incorrect: you do not “have 20% of your income from other sources” you “receive 20% of your income from other sources”.


Thanks!!!
Got it, difference between A and D is of the usage in meaning rather than structure.

Now coming back to same question on structure :

Is the verb Receive in ellipse before the second phrase in option "A"

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and ( receive) no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants

IS the verb receive in this option in ellipse and understood bcs of parallelism or it's not there at all.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 338
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 03:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jam2014 wrote:

Thanks!!!
Got it, difference between A and D is of the usage in meaning rather than structure.

Now coming back to same question on structure :

Is the verb Receive in ellipse before the second phrase in option "A"

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and ( receive) no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants

IS the verb receive in this option in ellipse and understood bcs of parallelism or it's not there at all.


Yes you are correct.
The actual ellipsis is -

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and ( receive) no more than 20 percent of their gross income from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

As long as the meaning is clear......ellipsis makes sense.

Hope this helps!!

Press Kudos please.... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Dec 2014
Posts: 85
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 12:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Can Veritas Prep Expert explain this question please?
_________________

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 284
Location: India
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 23:09
Meaning : The state tax regulation requires ("Subjunctive" as well as "to+verb" - usage correct with "Require") that CA's receive some income (80%) from x and no more (equal to) 20% from Y. This Y is being compared with ground floor rent for restaurants.

A - Looks fine

B - No verb (Requiring is not a verb). Such as used as examples for sources of income for CA - Wrong

C - Wrong usage of Such as

D - Wrong usage of Such as

E - to+verb = shows some kind of motive. The motive is of the "Regulation" that requires CAs to receive funds ina certain manner.

A - more concise and clear.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2015
Posts: 94
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 12:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
A cannot be correct. When the comparison towards the end and right after "no more than 20 percent from other sources", it is tremendously more logical for the following items to be examples of "other sources", than a comparison to the "the 80-20 rule for condos"

For A to be correct, it should go something like this:

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule”, like the ground-floor rent rule for restaurants, required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources.

The part about "ground-floor rent rule for restauraunts" is simply too far away from the object that answer A incorrectly attempts to compare.

Once again, take every question that is not official GMAC material with a grain of salt. This does not appear to be a GMAT quality question.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4835
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 18:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

A. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

B. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” requiring that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

C. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

D. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

E. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 284
Location: India
Re: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 20:17
In this case - A is the best among the five options. (In SC, it is not always the perfect answer but the answer choice needs to be the best among five)

Also, in the original sentence "like the ground - floor rent for restaurants" can be compared with "Other sources". So, the comparison is meaningful in that sense.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1199
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 06:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

Regulation required that X receive
    >80% of income from tenants and
    <20% of income from other sources.
there is no comparison here so like cannot be used for giving examples only such as needs to be used.
So A and E are out for the same reason.

A. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

B. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” requiring that condominium associations receive
    at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and
    have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.
requiring changes the meaning and structure of the sentence.

C. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive
    at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and
    have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

D. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required that condominium associations receive
    at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and
    have no more than 20 percent from other sources, such as ground-floor rent for restaurants.

E. Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the “80-20 rule” required condominium associations to receive at least 80 percent of their gross income from their tenant-shareholders, and to have no more than 20 percent from other sources, like ground-floor rent for restaurants.

I chose D over C and others.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Re: #Top150 SC: Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2015, 06:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 99 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Until 2010, a state tax regulation known as the 80-20 rule

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.